BMW First Service

Aren't we getting a bit confused over the first service ie. post running in at 1000kms and the first annual service? There's a big difference!

Picked my bike up at 1pm today. Charge for the first (600 mile) service? £39.72. The service manager at Astle BMW (Grimsby) told me that yes, BMW no longer pay the labour charges but Astle pick it up - at least for now.

Bike runs great. I'm chuffed.

J

OK I was £173 for my 600 mile service, which I thought was just an oil & filter change and a check over. Labour came to £140.

Stoops said:
OK I was £173 for my 600 mile service, which I thought was just an oil & filter change and a check over. Labour came to £140.

I'm sorry mate, but did you not challenge them when you
paid the bill ? ...........You've simply been robbed.

Even with the £50 the customer contributes
to the 1st service bill, it should come in under £100.
Here's the breakdown I paid last week :
Oil Filter: £7.45 + vat
Seal Ring: £0.25 + vat
Engine Oil: £19.60 + vat

I ordered my bike in February and it was agreed then
I wouldn't be paying the £50 relating to labour.

Gordo'
www.justgiving.com/arcticcircle

=========================================

Mine's a pint..........................an extra cold one !!

First off - BMW still advertise that the labour charge for the run-in service is picked up by them (In Ireland at least) - see http://www.bmw-motorrad.ie/ and go to the end of the bike price guide page.

I bought a new GS recently and they charges me €225 for that service. I started emailing people in the Customer Service end of BMW and initially got "sorry - we can't help you - it's between you and the dealer".

I stuck to my guns and took the "it is your problem and you will stand over your undertaking" ... to which they said "sorry - we looked at it again and we cant help you" ....

I then said "right - give me the name of your head of Customer Services in Germany - i'm going to approach him/her and if i dont get satisfaction there - i will revert to you for the name of your solicitors for service of papers. I have taken legal advice and am assured that if this goes to court - you will only have two options - take back your GS and give me a full refund, or refund the labour charges (approx €200) and pay my legal fees. I am still prepared to accept the latter for the time being to end the matter"

I got a reply - "ok - we'll refund you the labour charges - as a gesture of goodwill (!!!) "

Stoops said:

You have to remember that we are all supposed to be rich living up here in the oil capital of Europe. Which means JC and lots of other people and places want to screw every last penny out of the customers. :spitfire
I'd better start saving for my first service, hope there are a lot of special offers in Tesco this weekend.

Last edited:
Well what about Yamaha, Honda etc, dont they all have a 600 first service, are these also old technology Jimbo?

So you are to finally become a white van man? ps Jimbo rumours abound you will also use this van as a camper van so finally joined the caravan lot have we!!!!!!!!

Jimb said:
Iv'e just ordered a van and when I asked about the first service they said, what first service, that's a thing of the past the first service is at the 18,000 interval and is basically an oil & filter change, 18000 will be two years for me.

BMW = old technology.

$250.00 here in the USA for the 600 mile service on my 2006 R1200GS

Shop around!!

Shopping around is key...

My 12GS is due for it's 6000mile service, i called my local dealer today and was quoted £205 (£215 with loan bike). I thought this was a bit steep, and the dealer promptly gave me the " i don't think you'll find it any cheaper sir" response. :spitfire :nenau :jes

I called my next closest dealer - Wollastons to find them quoting £160 and they can fit me in 2 weeks sooner too!!! :clap :bounce1 :thumb

How can one dealer charge almost 25% more than another!! The difference for me is a 45 minute ride instead of a 30 minute one....

Guess i'll keep the £40 odd in my pocket and enjoy the run out!!!

Moral of the story... he who shops around, keeps pennies in own pocket!!

Balderstons have just lost a customer, both for service and most likely when it comes to upgrading my bike too.... Wollastons on the other hand, have just won a new customer!!!

I called Balderston and let them know of the difference to which i received the reply, "we're happy with the £205 we charge"

All i can say, is i hope that £40 was worth it Balderstons, it's gonna cost you thousands in lost bike sales and lost services... it's easy to lose a customer, not so easy to win them back!!

Which service ?

I am still rather confused -are we talking about the first service (which I think was simply the cost of oil etc.) or the first proper service at 10,000kms (6000 miles.) ? The 10,000 kms service in Lyon cost me about £110 which I thought was very reasonable.

Stoops, being a fellow Aberdonian but living in Northen ireland I also got this surpise about the first run in service at 600 miles, (which I posted exactly the same pissed off moan about in March on this site, I too complained to BMW customer services who just informed me that it was purely down to the dealer if they wanted to pass any labour costs on to the customer, Unfortunately here in Northen Ireland there only is 1 BMW bike dealer so we are stuck with that. Having said that they have seen me alright in other aspects with discount, I just had a warranty claim with my sys 4 lid which I bought for £200 last April and now 1 year on they have replaced with the sys 5 which I had to pay only £52 for, which makes the total £252 instead of the £280 I would have had to pay last year if i'd bought one, so I guess sometimes it swings in round abouts. Enjoy the GS

swebb said:
Shopping around is key...

My 12GS is due for it's 6000mile service, i called my local dealer today and was quoted £205 (£215 with loan bike). I thought this was a bit steep, and the dealer promptly gave me the " i don't think you'll find it any cheaper sir" response. :spitfire :nenau :jes

I called my next closest dealer - Wollastons to find them quoting £160 and they can fit me in 2 weeks sooner too!!! :clap :bounce1 :thumb

How can one dealer charge almost 25% more than another!! The difference for me is a 45 minute ride instead of a 30 minute one....

Guess i'll keep the £40 odd in my pocket and enjoy the run out!!!

Moral of the story... he who shops around, keeps pennies in own pocket!!

Balderstons have just lost a customer, both for service and most likely when it comes to upgrading my bike too.... Wollastons on the other hand, have just won a new customer!!!

I called Balderston and let them know of the difference to which i received the reply, "we're happy with the £205 we charge"

All i can say, is i hope that £40 was worth it Balderstons, it's gonna cost you thousands in lost bike sales and lost services... it's easy to lose a customer, not so easy to win them back!!
Sorry we're a bit late answering this comment, it was only noticed this morning!
I figure we need a right to reply.

We probably owe you an apology! Our current price for a 6k service on an R1200GS is £185.49
Some wires must have got crossed and you were quote for a service on an R1200RT which takes longer due to the bodywork.

The reason that our price is still higher than you were quoted by another dealer is that removing the calipers, cleaning the pads, lubing them & the pins + reassembly is NOT part of the 6k service as recommended by BMW but we consider this to be essential and automatically include this in the costing. This is approximately half an hour, more than making up the difference.

BMW have reduced the service times over the last few years by excluding things such as cleaning the brakes, changing spark plugs amongst others and making them chargeable extras. Our extensive experience has shown that the pads need periodic cleaning to avoid them dragging.

We were quoting a lead time of 2 weeks longer than the other dealer because we were and still are busy, busier than them - not something we need to apologise for! Lead times do fluctuate throughout the year.

I hope this answers your points but feel free to call on 01733-565470 if you need further clarification

Many thanks

TJ

Northern Ireland price

£150 for the first (600 mile) service. I am very unimpressed. BMW now advise me that this is the way they're doing things from 1st march this year, it would have been free previously.

I've been told of a non-franchised ex-BMW mechanic over here in NI who will do subsequent services. Or should I go that way? Will BMW get arsey about warranty issues as a result? I'm told the price will be half or less compared with the official dealer.

Any advice?

Patrick.

The reason that our price is still higher than you were quoted by another dealer is that removing the calipers, cleaning the pads, lubing them & the pins + reassembly is NOT part of the 6k service as recommended by BMW but we consider this to be essential and automatically include this in the costing. This is approximately half an hour, more than making up the difference.

It's a shame my local dealer doesn't offer this as an extra, I can and will do my own after a service, but there are times I'd rather have someone else do it for me - :blast

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Back
Top Bottom