Flip Lids - Are they Safe

AdamZ

Just knocked my SystemIV Carbon with the chin bar up and broke the plastic retaining lugs.

Suprisingly for a BMW part the replacements are only around GBP5 but it did make me think that if it only takes a slight knock to bugger the retaining mechanism how is the thing going to survive in a crash?

I have used flip lids for a while as I wear glasses and also it is convenient when I stop for a smoke cause I don't have to take the bloody thing off. Also those petrol stations who object to you wearing a helmet when you fill up the bike tend not to mind a flip lid. But convience over my schnozzle is a balancing question.

Views? On safety not me noze!

Adam,

I understand that the System 4 is classed & tested as an 'open face' helmet. My Schuberth Concept feels far more substantial than my System 4, but doesn't have the ability to convert to open face & enduro versions.

The System 4 certainly feels far more fragile than the Concept.....

MikeO:)

Wouldn't touch a flip front with a barge pole.
In my unqualified opinion, they may give a false sense of security, look rediculous and their complexity cannot add to the primary reason for wearing a helmet in the first place, safety.:duck:

Tim

timolgra said:
In my unqualified opinion, they may give a false sense of security,

...having gone face down on the Nurburgring last September whilst wearing my (previous) Concept, I can vouch for the genuine security, of this helmet at least - I went straight out & bought another.
I don't wear it as a fashion statement, but find its flexibility of use, comfort and high standard of build quality make it the best helmet, suited to my needs, on the market. If a helmet has passed its BS or E mark, I can't see how it can generate a false sense of security, any more than a fixed-front lid can.....

ps They also look great on a Pan;)

Mike O said:
...having gone face down on the Nurburgring last September

That explains a lot.....:D

I went face down wearing my Laser Revolution last year, and that too performed as I hoped. So much so that I bought another one.

No reason I believe to presume they are any less safe than a full face helmet, unless you were thinking of wearing it whilst riding with the chin bar in the up position which I think is a BIG no-no. Keep the practicality for paying for petrol, having a fag or natter whilst stationary. I know a guy who rode with the front up doing a bit of off-road and was 'clothes-lined' by an overhanging branch - not a good idea :nono

As an alternative you might consider the Arai Tour-X though this is one SERIOUS 'of-the-moment' fashion accessory with a price tag to match!

Would you wear open toed sandals while riding your bike?

I hope the answer is no.

Why then are you riding with the chin piece up on your flip up?

The helmet is classed as a full face, not as an open face.
Theoretically, the helmet is not being used as it was designed, and you can be done for not using it correctly, in the same was as if you haven't fastened the chin streap!

Flip ups are designed to be ridden with the chin piece down.

Mike O said:
Who? No one is advocating this......

MikeO:confused:
Certainly not me old bean. I'll just add seeing as I'm on that my Scubie Concept has passed the same European Standard as all the full faces I know of, Namely ECE R 22-05. I have no reason to doubt this helmet used in the manner it was designed for is any less likely to provide me the same level of safety as any other helmet which has passed the same tests, but I guess if I shelled out the thick end of £300 on mine I'd probably want to think it did.

Mike O said:
...having gone face down on the Nurburgring last September whilst wearing my (previous) Concept, I can vouch for the genuine security, of this helmet at least - I went straight out & bought another.

Hope you saved a bit of money some riding lessons.;) ;) ;) <--note

Tim

This from a recent MCN flip-front helmet comparison test outlining whether the chin bit is supposed to offer real protection:
==============================================
The main attraction of a flip-up lid has always been convenience, but now they also offer protection on a par with their full-face cousins.

Two of our selection even have ACU Gold approval, so it’s even possible to get a flip-up design for use on a track.

The code on the label inside the helmet reveals whether the chinbar offers impact protection or not. If it begins with a P, then it has a protective chinbar. If it starts with NP then the chinbar is non-protective. An NP chinbar itself will also bear a logo of a full-face helmet with a line through it.
==============================================
I don't know which lids got P or NP ratings, but the Schuberth Concept, X-Lite 1001E and Caberg Justissimo tied for 1st place with 90% score.

Scores were these:

FLIP-UP LIDS

Airoh Mathisse 70%
Arashi Cyclone 80%
Bieffe BM7-C 60%
Caberg Justissimo 90%
HJC SY Max 60%
Roof RO5 Boxer 50%
Schuberth Concept 90%
Shoei Syncrotec 2 60%
X-Lite X1001E 90%
BMW System IV Evo 80%
Caberg Just One Plus 70%

6X

LAZER Revolution

I wrote off my GS last year...and nearly myself too,when I headbutted an HGV.Not an experience I'd recommend too often.

I was wearing a flip front LAZER, and it saved my life.
Got it for 140 quid from Marriots in Birkenhead..It NEVER,NEVER,EVER mists up,its got a drop down black visor,and cos its made in Belgium,it actually fits an anglo-saxon head quite well.(Those of you over size 63 head will appreciate this)Plus you get a type of GIMP mask to wear underneath..mine's in the bin.

Its a one hand operation to open it up too.

Apart from a sharp piece of metal straight throough the visor,then through the top lip and gum...I was fine (gibber!)The little plastic catches didn't break,and there were no cracks in it either

I bought another one...another GS,and another LAZER.

Phil,

I've just had a look at my Concept & my System 4. The label inside the Concept reads: R22 - E13 050015/P-1671
The one inside the System 4 reads: R22 - E13 050067/P-1568

Is this the 'P' mark you mentioned, do you think? If so, it looks like they are both approved as full-face lids....

Mike O said:
Phil,

I've just had a look at my Concept & my System 4. The label inside the Concept reads: R22 - E13 050015/P-1671
The one inside the System 4 reads: R22 - E13 050067/P-1568

Is this the 'P' mark you mentioned, do you think? If so, it looks like they are both approved as full-face lids....

So nurr-nurr-nee-nurr nurr :p

The System 4 is only approved as a full face lid in the UK, that is why it is not possible to get the "Jet Helmet Side Sections" here in the UK.

It says so in the instruction book.

Dam, the helmet is noisy enough with the visor down, who would want to use it without the visor/chin guard?

Iain

timolgra said:
In my unqualified opinion, they may give a false sense of security, look rediculous and their complexity cannot add to the primary reason for wearing a helmet in the first place, safety.:duck:

Tim
I would say the primary reason to wear a helmet is that, We Have to, It`s the LAW!!.:helmet

Back
Top Bottom