24th June Dry Run

The Moo

Reaction score
Hi,
if anyone would like to join us (Grahame, Dermot and Moo) we are doing a dry-run of Region 8 on the 24th June (staying in Glen Nevis Campsite that night - if anyone wants to join us) :thumb . Grahame is sorting out the route 'cause he knows his stuff :bow and we are ordering the airhawks :clap for our precious derriers ;)
See you then -- locaton of start to be agreed with Grahame :D
Moo

Hello Amy

Sorry for the delay in replying but day to day life just took over for a while ! :rob Anyroads, good to see things have progressed but I'm slightly confused as to the lower half of the route Amy/Grahame. I thought that the idea was to be reasonabley near to the coast on the route, and whilst the A76 is fun ( A75 is however pretty boring tbh ) it's no where near the coast. Going as far as Newton Stewart and then taking the 714 to Girvin would be more in keeping if that's the idea. From there the A77 is a great road up to Ayr, If not then no matter.

More importantly though, the A71 after Kilmarnock is dull as ditchwater dual carriageway, and the 737 isn't really any better though it has some single lane. If you're dead set on the M8 and Erskine Bridge (yawn) as opposed to the dead exciting Hunters Quay ferry (between £3.50 and £6) and then up to A815 to join the A83 at Glen Kinglass (yipee) then there are better options to get to the Erskine Bridge <yawn> but definately forget using the a726 no matter what. That'd be like thinking the A4 from Hounslow in is going to be scenic ! It's residential 30/40mph, much longer and crap. If time is that tight then M77 to the bottom, double back onto M8 out to Erskine (yawn) Bridge.

The route looks pretty good apart from that !! ;) though I'd be tempted to come off the A83 and take the A819 at Inveraray over to the A85 and then up to Fort William as before. Certainly if you're running late this will save a fair bit of time without removing too much from the route the way the A82 would.

Anyway now I've ripped your plan to shreds, :confused: I'm still game to come along if you'll have me. When are you thinking of hitting Gretna on the day ? If you're sticking with the A75/A76 then I'll probably meet you just south of Dumfries and bring you round the bypass onto the A76. Hope your man got a bike sorted yet ??

Let me know. . . . .

Toodle Pip
PAul

Hope to meet you all there :thumb
GC might be on holiday by then, but would be nice to see you all
let me know what time you expect to be in Fort Bill

The Route and All

The Sea Dog said:
Hello Amy

Sorry for the delay in replying but day to day life just took over for a while ! :rob Anyroads, good to see things have progressed but I'm slightly confused as to the lower half of the route Amy/Grahame. I thought that the idea was to be reasonabley near to the coast on the route, and whilst the A76 is fun ( A75 is however pretty boring tbh ) it's no where near the coast. Going as far as Newton Stewart and then taking the 714 to Girvin would be more in keeping if that's the idea. From there the A77 is a great road up to Ayr, If not then no matter.

More importantly though, the A71 after Kilmarnock is dull as ditchwater dual carriageway, and the 737 isn't really any better though it has some single lane. If you're dead set on the M8 and Erskine Bridge (yawn) as opposed to the dead exciting Hunters Quay ferry (between £3.50 and £6) and then up to A815 to join the A83 at Glen Kinglass (yipee) then there are better options to get to the Erskine Bridge <yawn> but definately forget using the a726 no matter what. That'd be like thinking the A4 from Hounslow in is going to be scenic ! It's residential 30/40mph, much longer and crap. If time is that tight then M77 to the bottom, double back onto M8 out to Erskine (yawn) Bridge.

The route looks pretty good apart from that !! ;) though I'd be tempted to come off the A83 and take the A819 at Inveraray over to the A85 and then up to Fort William as before. Certainly if you're running late this will save a fair bit of time without removing too much from the route the way the A82 would.

Anyway now I've ripped your plan to shreds, :confused: I'm still game to come along if you'll have me. When are you thinking of hitting Gretna on the day ? If you're sticking with the A75/A76 then I'll probably meet you just south of Dumfries and bring you round the bypass onto the A76. Hope your man got a bike sorted yet ??

Let me know. . . . .

Toodle Pip
PAul

Hi Paul,
Sorry for the delay - been away with the family for the weekend :) We are meeting at Jct 42 - M6 - Premier Travel Inn Car Park on Saturday 24th - 9.30am and we're leaving to take a route that Grahame has devised. In regards to the route - its in the "birth" stages and well and truly in the hands of Grahame (ie not me ) as he knows the area well too - and is looking at time and safety restraints as oppsoed to scenic value etc. :moped: At one point we had 61/2 hours ride time to get to Fort William - and that was my main concern! We too want to stick as closely to the perimeter as poss but for some reason things got changed around and we went from over 10 hours to around 8 (with rest times).
AS I have said all along - I am a relatively novice rider and I am NOT interested in doing as much of the perimeter at the cost of my safety (or anyone elses for that matter). :D
ON the 24th we are gonna see what we are capable of; what we can do and how things pan out --- and we would love as many as possible. :bounce1 Its gonna be a challenge and fun -- and thats what this is all about - whilst raising as much as we can. :clap
If you can give me your mobile (and anyone else too who is gonna join us) then we can contact you once we are nearing Dumfries and meet up -- or come and stay overnight on the Fri at the above Inn - and we can all leave together!! Grahame and we will be there from the Friday.
Look forward to seeing you Friday or Saturday!
Moo :beer:

OONYACK said:
Hope to meet you all there :thumb
GC might be on holiday by then, but would be nice to see you all
let me know what time you expect to be in Fort Bill

It would be lovely to meet you at Fort Wiliam --- Grahame will know where we are meeting I think??? Not sure as I haven't looked at the threads for ages. Where is the meet up point??? :D

Moo's to Yoo!

sillymoo said:
It would be lovely to meet you at Fort Wiliam --- Grahame will know where we are meeting I think??? Not sure as I haven't looked at the threads for ages. Where is the meet up point??? :D

Moo's to Yoo!

Lochy bar in
Kilmallie rd
Caol

Will get G.C to send contact details

Hi guys,

I'll try and meet up with you and ride part of the way (fife northwards) with you. I'll keeep my eye on the post and find your times etc.

I'll let you know for definite nearer the time. :thumb

Ronno said:
Hi guys,

I'll try and meet up with you and ride part of the way (fife northwards) with you. I'll keeep my eye on the post and find your times etc.

I'll let you know for definite nearer the time. :thumb

AWWW NAWWW Ronnies goin :D

OONYACK said:

Aye and he's looking for a better standard of company than he encountered on Route 9

:upyou :D

OONYACK said:
Lochy bar in
Kilmallie rd
Caol
Will get G.C to send contact details

Hi, :)
I will be in Glasgow Saturday morning, but have to head back up sharpish for work. Be happy to buy you a beer at night though :beer:

A wee map of the handover point.
16369655-M-4.jpg

G C

G.C. said:
Hi, :)
I will be in Glasgow Saturday morning, but have to head back up sharpish for work. Be happy to buy you a beer at night though :beer:

A wee map of the handover point.
16369655-M-4.jpg

G C

Thanks for the map! Looking forward to that jar before we brave the midges in the ole tent. See ya Saturday. PM a mobile and we can let you know where we are etc. ie when we are arriving etc. :bounce1 :beer: :clap :clap
Moo

sillymoo said:
brave the midges in the ole tent.

de_2.JPG
Avon SSS for the dreaded Midgies, but I think that the Glen camp site has Midgie eaters now, so you should be fine. ;)
G C

G.C. said:
de_2.JPG
Avon SSS for the dreaded Midgies, but I think that the Glen camp site has Midgie eaters now, so you should be fine. ;)
G C

Hi - thanks for the headsup :clap -- we already have 3 bottles of the stuff ready for the camping season! :bounce1
WOnderful stuff!
Moo :thumb

sillymoo said:
Hi - thanks for the headsup :clap -- we already have 3 bottles of the stuff ready for the camping season! :bounce1
WOnderful stuff!
Moo :thumb

what's the secret of avon sss and midgies?

Avon Simply So Soft

Matron said:

Hi Matron,
They have discovered that there is an element to Simply So Soft Skin Spray - that Midgies hate!! It was quite by accident but now you will find that huge amounts of places - esp in Scotland (We discovered it in a pub on the Black Isle a few years back :clap ) sell the stuff.

I bought mine this year from a supplier via ebay, I think! Let me have a look and I'll let you know. Sometimes it can be difficult to get ahold of.

Happy Midge Repelling! :bounce1
Moo :beer:

Matron said:

For some people it does indeed work, however it's only if your skin oils and body odour combine with it in the right way and the midges aren't really in the mood. Doesn't work on me at all ever, but does on some friends sometimes. If they're hungry though you're screwed !

Basically it's worth a shot, it smells nice, keeps you soft and smooth, and worst case it won't work and you'll get bitten, but at least your skin will be soft and the litte poppets won't hurt their teeth :peach:

OONYACK said:

Just remembered that it's my grandson's Birthday (shame on me :eek: ) this weekend so I won't manage to tag on with the boys for the recce.

Hope you have a good un, guys and hope that the weather improves. :beerjug:

Ronno said:
Just remembered that it's my grandson's Birthday (shame on me :eek: ) this weekend so I won't manage to tag on with the boys for the recce.

LAst time I looked I was a girlie :) -- but sorry you can't come!!
Moo!

Now I have to have a bloody serious think as my son has acted like a prize idiot at school today :spitfire so I am not sure we can let him go away without us :nono - meaning we may not be able to do the bloody run!! :spitfire Sorry -- abit angry at the moment!. Bloody hell raising kids is hard!!
Watch this space!! :(

Children and thier ability to drive you insane

:eek:
sillymoo said:
Ronno said:

Last time I looked I was a girlie :) -- but sorry you can't come!!
Moo!

Now I have to have a bloody serious think as my son has acted like a prize idiot at school today :spitfire so I am not sure we can let him go away without us :nono - meaning we may not be able to do the bloody run!! :spitfire Sorry -- abit angry at the moment!. Bloody hell raising kids is hard!!
Watch this space!! :(

6.15p.m
My son and I (and his dad via the phone) have been discussing his rather stupid
behaviour at school............God its hard when your child is so bloody naughty.......peer pressure! Its hell!
Anyway - I am sorry for my little rant - I just felt so angry at him! We have had a talk about consequences if he doesn't behave REALLY well this weekend :nono -- and we are coming!! :bounce1 I am so glad!! :clap
Moo

Good luck to you all, enjoy the run and let me know how you get on :thumb

Hope the sun shines for you.

Karen :)

Back
Top Bottom