KTM ADV 990

motomartin said:
Recently found out that the EFI issue can be fixed (prior to the first service) by strting the bike from cold and leaving it to idle for 15 minutes,

how does the engine getting hotter change the efi settings permanently ? :confused:

.....or do you have to do this EVERY time you start the bike ? :rolleyes:

I know nothing about fuel injection, I also have no idea why this will work.. I just know it does..

Try one.. Ride one... You'll love it..

motomartin said:
Recently found out that the EFI issue can be fixed (prior to the first service) by strting the bike from cold and leaving it to idle for 15 minutes,

how does the engine getting hotter change the efi settings permanently ? :confused:

Looky here!!!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143073&page=3&highlight=idle

About half way down.. there are others that have the fix!!http://www.ukgser.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=683653#
Clap

motomartin said:

I don't get it either Phil :nenau Unless the lamba sensor needs "cooking" before it works properly. Sounds a bit doubtfull though. The local dealer was refreshingly honest " it's w&*k really having that sort of a problem. But it's a great bike if you can put up with the stutter" I nearly bought the bike off for his honesty :thumb

I can speak from experience about single cyclinder KTM's. I had a 640 LC4 - ok not an adventure but essentially the same engine. The components such as suspension, which are WP, the brakes, brembo, and other parts are quality items that work well on the bike. The engine has plenty of low down grunt and is ideal in the hills and on country A and B grade roads but once you get to 70+mph it becomes hard work on both bike and rider. There are a lot of these bikes around 2nd hand with low mileage on and I would offer the same advice that was given to me by a dealer: if buying 2nd hand be sure that the owner ran it in according to the book and also during the run in period ensure that the gearbox was not abused in any way. Apparently if the clutch is not used fully for gearchanges during the run-in period it can cause some major gearbox problems later in the life of the engine / gearbox. I personally did not have such a problem with mine and have not heard of such problems but its advice that may be worth bearing in mind if you are looking at buying a low mileage one owner example of such a bike.

I tried one of these out today. It's excellent. Better than the GS? I'd say no; not better or worse but different. Faster, lighter, handles as well as, possibly better. Comfort seems about the same but it's a lot narrower. The engine's a lot less smooth but it doesn't half go. If the speedo's accurate it is a lot quicker than the GS. Brakes, suspension all fine. It's a hooligan.

Snatchiness? Not really but it was much more sensitive to the throttle. I found it a bit like test riding my 1200 when used to the 1100. I asked the dealer about the snatching and he was adamant they had had no problems because the use exactly the 15 minute bedding in procedure described above.

Very, very tempting.

Ive been offered 7K part ex for the ADV against an ADV S KTM so I am very tempted and going into the dealers tomorrow to try to get the first service in as well.

Anyone want an 04 ADV. Silver and red 10,102 on clock and had its two annuals and services for 6k and 12k (12 k was 2 k early). Two brand new tourances on it as well and showroom condition hence the part ex offer.

It goes in at 600 and thats about £230 then its every 4500miles and it alternates between a service of £160 and next at 4500 miles a full one at £240 approx this is the big one every 9 k miles as its a valves check etc.

I worked out that its cheaper than the beemer with its annual and 6k, 12k etc.
I just had mine done at 10k and an annual on top and it came to £273 and I had changed the gear, drive and clutch fluid before it went in so they did not have to do that.
so its

600 miles £230 odd
4500 £160
9k £230
13.5k £160
Looking to get the first free however or they have no sale.

Cheers, Andy

Hope you don't mind me picking your brains a bit more...

How difficult is the bike to work on? Oil changes, etc?

When I looked it over after riding it, it seemed very compact and this may mean awkward to work on.

What's the running in regime?

TIA!

ANDY MELTON said:
Ive been offered 7K part ex for the ADV against an ADV S KTM so I am very tempted and going into the dealers tomorrow to try to get the first service in as well.

I doubt you'd get 7k in p/ex against a 12adv at my bwm dealers
Also you could try and get a pair of ackropovics ;)

Is it me or should this be on Orange Crush on AdvRider :rob

I also thought about and tried the 950 because they are sooo cheap s/hand... then I looked at the reliability issues with head gaskets, water pump seals almost a service item, coolent being dumped., fuel tank problems, cluch problems, g/box problems and alot at low mileage..I have only had good GS experiences to date (30k+ mls) so personal experience played a part but my research made the reliability poll on here look good :eek:

Great bike, but for me, I couldn't trust one, there are few high mileage ones out there.

I think when a manufacturer introduces a retrospective 3 year warranty, it's for a reason and I think that is to try to establish some faith in its product.

In terms of running costs, you will use more tyres;chain and sprockets come in for a hammering with the power delivery.

Why does the GS need an annual as well as 6k and 12k???

KTM home servicing :eek:

Check out the MCN long term test and the Orange crush forum for more info.

The carbed version doesn't suffer the snatchiness described.

Fuel consumption is also reported as heavy. Hourses for courses I'll keep plodding along on the GSA, fast enough. Thinl I might get a 916 as a second bike :D

Lok at a KTM forum and you see many of the same comments re the GS1200 and its electrical problems. Lets not get overheated( sorry) re this thread. If people are replying whats it to you? :nenau :) ;)

Rob Farmer said:
I took a 990 out for a blast today. KTM have got the size right at last. What a bike though? bloody fast, handled well and the wind protection was great, I had an open face helmet on at 100+ without any problem. The only thing to let the bike down, as mentioned before, is the EFI. I tried riding in 2nd gear round town at 30Mph and just couldn't stop the snatching. It was fine under load but just wouldn't hold a steady throttle - at anything upto 4K.

I'd take the KTM over a 1200GS but not my 1150 GSA. Nice though :clap

£8999 on the road with the first service paid for - biggy apparently and some dealers do charge for them. Redline in Loughborough do the service for free.

I bought a 990 from Robinsons but paid a lot less than £8,999. First service was £125. Had Akro cans fitted and remapped efi which improved the fueling but didn't cure it. The biggest problem for me is the snatchy nature of the throttle but once the Power Commander is released this will be sorted.

Overall it's the best bike for my needs at the moment - evening and weekend blasts around the local twisty's with the occasional longer run. It feels lighter and better balanced than the GS, the engine is loads more responsive and it's more confidence inspiring for me. I find it much easier to handle, especially at low speeds and around town. If I did more touring I'd be tempted to stay with the 12GS.

The_Pilot said:
Is it me or should this be on Orange Crush on AdvRider :rob

:D

Yep, you are right, we should also ban all threads on Cooking, Cars, Beer, Camping. The Computer help and Photography threads should all be deleted.

And anything that is not made by or for the BMW GS should be banned from the For Sale and Wanted Area.

And that is just the Start........

Alphason said:
I bought a 990 from Robinsons but paid a lot less than £8,999. First service was £125.

I asked about 990 prices too - the list price was £8,695 I think (which included the first service) and even that price was easily negotiable. Have a phone round.

Mind you, I ended up buying a new 950, one of the last ones in the country, which was £7,999 including H&B panniers, tank bag and engine bars :thumb :D

easy

I thought it was a balanced post :eek:

I only related my experiences and yes you're right I am reading it...my first comment was meant tongue in cheek hence the smily...sorry to raise hackles..

I had a 12gs too and had zero problems...I agree that in the main you get the horrific posts on the net and most people with no trouble say nothing....

live and let live I say :D

bakerlonglegs said:
Mind you, I ended up buying a new 950, one of the last ones in the country, which was £7,999 including H&B panniers, tank bag and engine bars :thumb :D

Me too, though mine was a fair bit less as ended up in BMW dealer with 420 miles on it, they were only too happy to do a deal for my 1150RT.

First service was £180 (at Fowlers, not known for low rates), however this was included in the deal I did.

I have the option on a Black/Silver KTM 950 Adventure. What do you think is a fair price. Its in good nick with 6k on the clock???

No panniers or rails though

Many thanks

AndyT :beerjug:

AndyT said:
I have the option on a Black/Silver KTM 950 Adventure. What do you think is a fair price. Its in good nick with 6k on the clock???

No panniers or rails though

Many thanks

AndyT :beerjug:

How old ?, how many owners etc ?

Seems to be very few for sale in MCN etc. usually maximum 1/2 a week.

Give a couple of KTM dealers a call, you'll soon get a gist of the approximate value.

Its a 2004 model with 6k on the clock. 2 owners and looks in excellent nick. Apparently he has had the clurtch cylinder replaced on warranty which was a recall on some bikes however his failed. He wasnts just under £5000 for it which I think is good value - what do you think??

Andy

Back
Top Bottom