KTM ADV 990

TaffyScouser

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Took one pf these out for a ride today. What a bike. I had a idea to change the GSA1150 for one of these and at first sight the Adv S from Katoom looked a great bike. The weight is great the balance great and with the Akropvic twins on it sounded great. Had a fair blast on the bike and that seems to be all its really fit for...blasting. I have never riden such a badly fueled bike. Touring on it would be soooo tiring. It seems like it is running out of petrol at low speeds such is the snatchiness of the engine due to the poorly mapped injection system. This is a real shame as boy does it go when you open it up and I was blown away by its power and poise on the road. It almost seemed like a two stroke Crosser in traffic, such is the snatchiness though and I took it back to the shop tempted to get rid of the Adventure but then I thought long and hard re the mapping of that engine and tried a standard bike from another dealer. It was worse than the modded bike. I will buy on of these if they sort out the injection on the bike as it had the GSA beat in all depts but I am not forking out 8.5K till its a sorted bike. Anyone else had a good test ride on one of these? Owners will no doubt sing their praises but rose tinted specs and a new bike tend to hide some of the failings and problems of the bike till you have owned it a while and started to re think your choice or admit a problem or two occurs with your pride and joy.
Come on KTM get that mapping for the Injection sorted on the 07 bikes when they hit the shops later this year.

ANDY MELTON said:
Took one pf these out for a ride today. What a bike. I had a idea to change the GSA1150 for one of these and at first sight the Adv S from Katoom looked a great bike. The weight is great the balance great and with the Akropvic twins on it sounded great. Had a fair blast on the bike and that seems to be all its really fit for...blasting. I have never riden such a badly fueled bike. Touring on it would be soooo tiring. It seems like it is running out of petrol at low speeds such is the snatchiness of the engine due to the poorly mapped injection system. This is a real shame as boy does it go when you open it up and I was blown away by its power and poise on the road. It almost seemed like a two stroke Crosser in traffic, such is the snatchiness though and I took it back to the shop tempted to get rid of the Adventure but then I thought long and hard re the mapping of that engine and tried a standard bike from another dealer. It was worse than the modded bike. I will buy on of these if they sort out the injection on the bike as it had the GSA beat in all depts but I am not forking out 8.5K till its a sorted bike. Anyone else had a good test ride on one of these? Owners will no doubt sing their praises but rose tinted specs and a new bike tend to hide some of the failings and problems of the bike till you have owned it a while and started to re think your choice or admit a problem or two occurs with your pride and joy.
Come on KTM get that mapping for the Injection sorted on the 07 bikes when they hit the shops later this year.

You are quite correct, I bought one and yes the fueling at low speed is terrible... For the first 800 miles, then the bike is transformed.

I used to have an 1150GS and I loved it but Vines pissed me off so I sold it and bought the KTM.

I did think " what have I done when I rode it first" but then after the first Service and 800 miles the character was completely different. The Fueling issue is gone, I can now control it at 5 - 20 MPH without any issues or the surging that I had with the 1150.

I would recommend anyone to take one out for a test ride but to ignore the low speed fueling.

You can chuck it about like a Supermoto, ride up and down the Byways... And you don't feel like you need a beard or and OAP buspass.. Unlike the BMW.

Was there a re map on the first service??? I loved the bike and I am still thinking of letting the ADV go into the small ads but just feel a little touchy about going for a bike with such a snatchy engine. There is very few of the ADV S models left this year and do not know the dates of the next batch to come out for 07

ANDY MELTON said:
Was there a re map on the first service??? I loved the bike and I am still thinking of letting the ADV go into the small ads but just feel a little touchy about going for a bike with such a snatchy engine. There is very few of the ADV S models left this year and do not know the dates of the next batch to come out for 07

I don't think they did, but I did notice that the engine seemed more responsive and lost it's snatchyness as it reached the service mileage.

The only downside that I honestly had when I got it back from service was a little buffeting on my shoulders when you reach about 120MPH ( on a track sir, never on a road sir) I have oredered a different screen from Australia, I'll let you know how I get on with it.

You are right though, more fun, quicker and way more capable that my old GS.

Had a ride on a standard one again today and the twostroking ( thats what it feels like) was there and in the heat and traffic of some city streets I reckon it was worse. Looking to get rid of the ADV soon and bank the money till the 07 model comes out. No way I am going to throw 8k+ at a bike with such bad fueling.

What a shame for KTM. These 06 modesl are going to be so hard to sell on with their growing reputation of such bad running at slow and touring speeds. I am sure there is going to be a glut of them on the market after the summer blasting season is over. May have to get one then and just try to live with the fueling till they sort it out. No doubt with their reputation they will be one owner, next to no miles and around the 6-7K mark. :) :bounce1 :clap :thumb

ANDY MELTON said:
Had a ride on a standard one again today and the twostroking ( thats what it feels like) was there and in the heat and traffic of some city streets I reckon it was worse. Looking to get rid of the ADV soon and bank the money till the 07 model comes out. No way I am going to throw 8k+ at a bike with such bad fueling.

What a shame for KTM. These 06 modesl are going to be so hard to sell on with their growing reputation of such bad running at slow and touring speeds. I am sure there is going to be a glut of them on the market after the summer blasting season is over. May have to get one then and just try to live with the fueling till they sort it out. No doubt with their reputation they will be one owner, next to no miles and around the 6-7K mark. :) :bounce1 :clap :thumb

I really can't agree, if you were closer I would offer a ride on mine to put your mind at rest. The surging on the 1150 never went away.. The fueling on the KTM does!

Owned a Dakar 650, 1150 and the ADv and none of them behaved like the Katoom does. Never could see the major issue with the surging on the 1150 unless people tried to find the emissions spot and ride in or on it. Take your point though.

Went to two dealers again yesterday and also rang around others. Maybe only two or three of the ADSV S models left for this year.

just spoke to robinsons about the 990 , he admited in some sort of way that maybe an issue for some riders with the fuel problem...............but get this, i'd have gone for the black one if he could have confirm the was no issues after the first sevice..............can not get one until DEC 06.................only got the S model now ..

so some body getting on ok with them :confused:

Not exactly mass produced though even though KTM second biggest euro manufacturer after BMW of bikes. Looks like a wait till DEC then and hopefully a better EFI unit. Do you have the number of Robinsons?

Recently took my 990 to the Baltics and back - 7,000 km in three weeks or so. It had the Touratech tin boxes on which limited high speed cruising - +150kph. Had some problems with the fuel tanks venting and hence spurious reserve lights coming on and a speedo cable failure for one day (it mysteriously got better after visiting the Tallinn KTM dealer). First gear a bit clunky, some vibes above 6k rpm and had to top up the coolant a couple of times. Chain, albeit a hassle to do with the boxes on, had to be adjusted only a couple of times also. Overall it's as comfortable (one-up, I daresay) as the GS. But maybe I should have waited longer than the first service before taking it on such a trip as I didn't quite have confidence in it as, maybe, I would have with the GS. Anyway I think as a general all purpose bike it's a better than the GS. The GS wins as a confidence inspiring long distance tourer but the KTM has, IMVHO, it for nipping down the shops, day tripping, some gentle off roading with the Skorpions, and hooliganising. It's light, feels tidy, handles better than the GS and is a bit different.

I've not ridden the KTM 990 Adv,but I owned a 950 Adv S for 2 years.

I used it locally but also did 2 longish trips to Spain and back.
I had the standard seat,but later covered in alacantara by Sommer KTM in Germany.

I've also ridden the Superduke (same FI engine as 990 ADV) and the GSA1200.

A few observations-

KTM has yet to sort out FI issues.

The superduke 990 is bloody awful low down-it'll do 30 mph in 3rd with the throttle closed.I here similar tales about the 990.

The 950 Adv was a fab bike but had a few failings-tank range only about 150 to res,very firm seat,(new gel seats much better),buffeting at high speed with panniers fitted.

I rode a mate's GSA 1200 with the standard BMW panniers fitted and it felt much more stable at high speed than the KTM-the Hepco & Becker Gobis which are the "standard' fit supplied by KTM are very wide due to the pannier rails sticking out beyond the high level exhausts.

The GSA can maintain a higher speed and is much more stable.

Interestingly the KTM would do exactly the same speed flat out,with and without panniers fitted!

I've ordered a GSA1200 due next month.

KTM are bringing out their RC8 sportsbike next year with an 1150cc motor.

If this finds it's way to the Adventure in a year 2008 and they stick on a bigger tank and sort the FI issues,it should be a stunning bike.But until then,I'm hoping the GSA 1200 will fit the bill

The finish on the ones I have seen close up has been superb and the fitting and fastenings have been top whack. I Have owned numerous Enduro KTMS and cannot fault their reliability or build qaulity.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE OF THE SINGLE CYLINDER ADVENTURE. I am looking for a lighter bike and top speed is not such a big issue anymore. The 640 looks good but has anyone else had one for any length of time?

Dislocated my ankle a short while back and the weight of the ADV is killing me and I need to go for a lighter bike.

I rode a 950 KTM owned by a friend. He put serious miles on that bike in the two years he owned it. Lovely bike and the finish was top notch even after the abuse he gave it. I almost bought one before I plumped for the GS, but what swung the decision was the BM's shaft drive. Yes, it's heavier than a chain/sprocket set-up, but I was just bored with messing about with oily chains, adjusting the oily chain and replacing the oily chain and knackered sprockets every once in a while (depending on length of ownership).

ANDY MELTON said:
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE OF THE SINGLE CYLINDER ADVENTURE. I am looking for a lighter bike and top speed is not such a big issue anymore. The 640 looks good but has anyone else had one for any length of time?
I was talking to a guy at work today, asking him what he thought of KTMs and the local dealer. He has a 640, I think it's an Adventure. He loves it.

Pressurized said:
One of the issues people, including me, have with the 1200GS is its finish and quality of materials used. What do people think about the KTM?

The metal bits on the KTM are tops as are the WP suspension, brakes etc. However, the plasticky bits leave a lot to be desired. The fairing and tank bits don't quite butt up right. Lots of biggish gaps but I guess not that relevant from a functional pov.

I've ridden an 06 KTM 640 Adventure which a mate had for a very short time.

It's now for sale at my local dealer with a few hundred miles on the clock.

They also have a new charcoal 990 Adv in stock.

In general the KTms are quite well finished.

I had a few probs with my 950:

the gear lever fell off as it hadn't been loctited on at the factory,
head gasket blew
spoke nipples went rusty and were replaced under warranty.

But when i sold the bike it still looked nearly as new,as shown by the pic above of my bike with the panniers on just before I sold it.

I took a 990 out for a blast today. KTM have got the size right at last. What a bike though? bloody fast, handled well and the wind protection was great, I had an open face helmet on at 100+ without any problem. The only thing to let the bike down, as mentioned before, is the EFI. I tried riding in 2nd gear round town at 30Mph and just couldn't stop the snatching. It was fine under load but just wouldn't hold a steady throttle - at anything upto 4K.

I'd take the KTM over a 1200GS but not my 1150 GSA. Nice though :clap

£8999 on the road with the first service paid for - biggy apparently and some dealers do charge for them. Redline in Loughborough do the service for free.

Attachments

• KatieM.jpg
    KatieM.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 580
Rob Farmer said:
I took a 990 out for a blast today. KTM have got the size right at last. What a bike though? bloody fast, handled well and the wind protection was great, I had an open face helmet on at 100+ without any problem. The only thing to let the bike down, as mentioned before, is the EFI. I tried riding in 2nd gear round town at 30Mph and just couldn't stop the snatching. It was fine under load but just wouldn't hold a steady throttle - at anything upto 4K.

I'd take the KTM over a 1200GS but not my 1150 GSA. Nice though :clap

£8999 on the road with the first service paid for - biggy apparently and some dealers do charge for them. Redline in Loughborough do the service for free.

Recently found out that the EFI issue can be fixed (prior to the first service) by strting the bike from cold and leaving it to idle for 15 minutes, it sorts out the fueling and maked it tamer on the throttle.

I was too late to do it on mine but a friend tried it and was astounded by the difference!

Buy one.. you know you want to!!

Recently found out that the EFI issue can be fixed (prior to the first service) by strting the bike from cold and leaving it to idle for 15 minutes,

how does the engine getting hotter change the efi settings permanently ? :confused:

.....or do you have to do this EVERY time you start the bike ? :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom