HAVE I GOT A FRIDAY AFTERNOON ONE?

Devon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just went down to take the GS for a spin: no go, EWS comes up. She had to go back after 2 weeks because the indicators would not cancel. Had a flat battery 2 weeks later because of a bad connection on the battery terminal caused by too much red crap applied at the factory :( .

OK, I know BMW will send a lorry tomorrow and she will be back wed. good as new but why the feck haven't BMW got on top of the quality issues by now? They have had over 2 years to sort it now.

I brought a R80GS in 1989, did the overland trip to and around Australia: 18 months covered roughly 70k miles and the bike did not fail me once. In that time I only had to replace the oil seal on the gear lever twice because of minor leaks. I still cannot believe a m/c could withstand the abuse that one did (my aviator is a picture of her tackling the Gibb River road, through the Kimberly in NW Australia: 400 miles of bull dust track). How come 17 years later BMW even have these issues with the 1200 :nenau

I love my 1200 and it still has a lot of what made me love my 800 but at £10.5k I'm starting to think this isn't good enough :rob

I should add its a march 06 bike with 4500 mile under the wheels :mmmm

wilbjr21 said:

Nice contribution.

See what happens during the week and have a wee word with Trading Standards and the manager of your dealership. There have been several cases of bikes being rejected by their owners, and it looks as if yours may be heading in that direction. Then again, this might be the last issue you'll ever have with the bike :nenau

Don't forget that there's a couple of polls on the site that prove that not every 1200 in a dog, and that most owners would be more than happy to purchase another one..... so just take a deep breath and give it a chance to get sorted :thumb

It seems to me (though I'm not a mechanic) that all these problems you are describing are electrical and therefore possibly related.

I would insist on a very careful assessment of the electrical system and replacement of the key component parts.

Everything else on your bike, in particular the rolling frame, engine and gearbox, seem to be OK.

See what they say - be polite and friendly but firm in your expectations that the problems you're having should be sorted properly.

J

I love my 1200 and it still has a lot of what made me love my 800 but at £10.5k I'm starting to think this isn't good enough :rob[/QUOTE]

Couln't agree with you more BMW have dumbed down and now make an inferior product that is nowhere near as robust and reliable as what went before. I can't believe all the problems that have been manifested in the free testing of the 1200GS by buyers in the field.

Back
Top Bottom