Anyone tried one of these?

Yep - I had one on my 1200GS for a year or so - funnily enough took it off recently.

On the plus side - quiet and excellent protection to the body (no windblast on the shoulders for example). Quality of the perspex is very high. :clap

On the downside - not pretty, plus I couldn't get rid of turbulence around the helmet - but I think that may be because it wasn't quite tall enough (yep hard to believe). I went for the medium and I think i should have gone for the tall. The extra 2 inches would probably have lifted the wind just that bit further.

It is marginally adjustable for rake - but I mean marginally. The side adjusters can be screwed in and out - but probably only chnage the angle by 2 or 3 degrees.

One last comment on the Parabellum. I had to adapt the lower edge of the screen to clear the indicators. US indicators would appear to be mounted on longer stalks than those for EU markets. Not sure if this is still the case. Otherwise, fitting was straightforward, but the fittings don't look fully integrated with the bike.

I'm now running an MRA vario touring - less helmet turbulence, more windblast to the body. I guess you pay your money and take your choice!

Try looking at an MRA Screen

I have just ordered an MRA vario touring screen from Motor works....German they look pretty good...and allot cheaper than parrabellem...have a look on their website. www.motorworks.co.uk

Alan1963 said:
US indicators would appear to be mounted on longer stalks than those for EU markets. Not sure if this is still the case.

Yes, indicators on US bikes have to be further apart than in the EU, and yes that is still the case.

Lighter/higher/quieter screens

Has anybody come up with the price of the Adventure screen ? - (assuming that it will fit on the standard 1200GS) And how do those few fortunate owners of the Adveture rate their screen?

Alan1963 said:
Yep - I had one on my 1200GS for a year or so - funnily enough took it off recently.

On the plus side - quiet and excellent protection to the body (no windblast on the shoulders for example)....

I'm now running an MRA vario touring - less helmet turbulence, more windblast to the body. I guess you pay your money and take your choice!

Alan,

thanks for the response - you say the parabellum was really quiet, but you get less turbulence from the MRA. I'm not really sure how to interpret this, as I thought the turbulence was what was making the ride so noisy... :confused:

I'm not noticing my head being knocked about too badly (the gusting type of turbulence, or buffeting), but I do get a really bad deep roaring noise at speed (much worse than any other ride I've had :spitfire ) from the continuous flow of turbulent air hitting the helmet. This noise completely dissapears if I stand up on the pegs, putting my head into the clean airflow above the turbulence.

So I just wanted to clarify, which of the two screens did you find the quietest :rolleyes: ?

Cheers.

The Kerry Man said:
I have just ordered an MRA vario touring screen from Motor works....German they look pretty good...and allot cheaper than parrabellem...have a look on their website. www.motorworks.co.uk

Thanks - looks cool - let us know how you get on with it. I was going to order a parabellum, but now...

if ypu don t care what it looks like try this works really well very quiet visor open at 90 100 if you so desire

upside down visor is all it is ..it has the effect of pushing the wind vertical over your head
..leave a 15ml gap between the screen and visor
tried it with a a hairdryer and strips of paper before fitting
use rubber spacers..tap washers to stop the visor rubbing the screen
the wind trvelling under the visor catches the wind going over the visor and pushes it upwards
tried it first with gaffa to road test just leaves 4 4ml holes out of the eyline which you can put grommets in after if it doesent suit

not the most elegent thing you will ever see but when your covering distance i dont care cos it works very very well
tobinators are usfull with this to get it just right
srceen is a cee baileys

Attachments

• vwerny (3).jpg
    vwerny (3).jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 692
minkyhead said:
if ypu don t care what it looks like try this works really well very quiet visor open at 90 100 if you so desire

upside down visor is all it is ..it has the effect of pushing the wind vertical over your head ..leave a 15ml gap between the screen and visor tried it with a a hairdryer and strips of paper before fitting the wind trvelling under the visor catches the wind going over the visor and pushes it upwards
tried it first with gaffa to road test just leaves 4 4ml holes out of the eyline which you can put grommets in after if it doesent suit

not the most elegent thing you will ever see but when your covering distance i dont care cos it works very very well
srceen is a cee baileys

Actually if you are having problems with the screen, I think that looks quite a feasable idea, you will need to be quick and get it patented. Smart idea, and it certainly does not look unprofessional :thumb

minkyhead said:
if ypu don t care what it looks like try this works really well very quiet visor open at 90 100 if you so desire ...upside down visor is all it is .

Cheers all.

Rainbow parts guy talked me into a Givi screen - we held it over one of the new adventures - almost exactly the same size shape, but curvy rather than angular. Took the Adv for a test ride - awful with screen up, much better at lowest, but still a bit of turbulence - which I think was because of the 'lip' near the top edge.

Anyway, got the givi and fitted it for the ride home. Huge improvement. Not perfect, just heaps better.

230 mile round trip on friday - with the Givi in lowest setting, the awful low resonant noise is gone completely. Ended up riding 20-30 mph faster as just so much more comfortable. Also much warmer :)

Saw post on ADVrider that said could fit Adv 'winglets' to the 12 with a givi, so might have a go at this, though can't imagine it will make much difference to anything.

So pre-occupied with noise, but the thing that most surprised me with the Adventure was just how warm and 'unwindswept' my legs were - I never really noticed the wind / cold on my legs riding the 1200, and had never given it a thought, like not missing someone till their gone I guess - but the protection on the adv was a revelation. (sigh) want one now - but would have to cut that lip off the top of the screen, or replace it with the givi!

power2learn said:
Cheers all.

Rainbow parts guy talked me into a Givi screen - we held it over one of the new adventures - almost exactly the same size shape, but curvy rather than angular. Took the Adv for a test ride - awful with screen up, much better at lowest, but still a bit of turbulence - which I think was because of the 'lip' near the top edge.

Anyway, got the givi and fitted it for the ride home. Huge improvement. Not perfect, just heaps better.

230 mile round trip on friday - with the Givi in lowest setting, the awful low resonant noise is gone completely. Ended up riding 20-30 mph faster as just so much more comfortable. Also much warmer :)

Saw post on ADVrider that said could fit Adv 'winglets' to the 12 with a givi, so might have a go at this, though can't imagine it will make much difference to anything.

So pre-occupied with noise, but the thing that most surprised me with the Adventure was just how warm and 'unwindswept' my legs were - I never really noticed the wind / cold on my legs riding the 1200, and had never given it a thought, like not missing someone till their gone I guess - but the protection on the adv was a revelation. (sigh) want one now - but would have to cut that lip off the top of the screen, or replace it with the givi!

Out of interest how tall are you? i.e when sat on the seat, what height does top of your head come too? Sounds like the givi works ok for you, so be interested to know your height.

power2learn said:
Parabellum windshield:

http://www.parabellum.com/stores/showdetl.cfm?&DID=22&Product_ID=43&CATID=1

Quitness + more mpg allegedly :clap

Comes out as around £165 including shipping to UK. I can't take any more turbulence - my head is throbbing even with the ear plugs, and this is starting to look good to me.

I personally like the MRA Vario screen, although I haven't tried the others.

As we live reasonably locally if you want to ride over, you can try the screen for an hour or so on your bike. Screens are like seats....if you buy on others experience and it doesn't work for you, you have lost most of your money.

:( :nenau :( :nenau :confused: :confused: :eek: :eek: :( :nenau :nenau

Mike R

When I comment that turbulence was higher with the parabellum, I found that I was getting buffeting around the helmet - but there was no noise. With the MRA the helmet doesn't get buffetted, but there is a whistling noise around the helmet. I appreciate that this may seem to have a bilt in contradiction, and maybe someone with some better knowledge than me of aerodynamics might be able to explain it - but that's how I find it. One is a physical vibration if you like, without sound (or sound on a wavelength not audible to my ear) - the other is a simple noise! Hope that helps :)

swebb said:
Out of interest how tall are you? i.e when sat on the seat, what height does top of your head come too? Sounds like the givi works ok for you, so be interested to know your height.

I'm 5'10", but with very short arms / legs - I have several friends who are 6'2" or taller - I come up to their shoulders - but when we sit down side by side, I am taller than they are!

I think what matters with screen is your 'sitting height' - e.g. height - inside leg measurement. I don't know what mine is off hand, but I'll post it tomorrow.

BTW, I also use the low seat.

Schwarz Baron said:
you will need to be quick and get it patented. Smart idea, and it certainly does not look unprofessional :thumb

Too late - Laminar Lip in the US does similat idea!

power2learn said:
I'm 5'10", - inside leg measurement. I don't know what mine is off hand, but I'll post it tomorrow.

BTW, I also use the low seat.

Swebb, not quite tomorrow, but if you still want to know, I'm 5'10" with 29" inseam.

Back
Top Bottom