Barmouth bridge sur moto?

Cogs

Reaction score
A good friend told me with honest insistence that it's possible to ride a motorcycle over the Barmouth, Cambrian Coast Railbridge for a toll of a pound...! Now I've been visiting the area regularly for the last nine years and have used the wooden toll bridge at Penmaen Pool more times than I care to remember but I've never heard that before!

Can anyone confirm or deny said claim before I go and make a complete A*se of myself as sonn as I'm back over there?

was told by a local B&B owner you could push your bike arcoss it ..not ride..

still not sure where you could start this and never seen anyone crossing it. :thumb

They won't let you ride across it these days, despite there being a sign up with the toll for a bike :rolleyes:

'bridge too far'

timolgra said:
They won't let you ride across it these days, despite there being a sign up with the toll for a bike :rolleyes:

I reckon you're right there Tim---would upset too many of the walking fraternity---as a part-time walker I don't think I'd be too pleased hangin over the railings to let sum bikes past :p anyway the few miles of road on both sides of the estuary out to Dolgellau are about the best you'll find anywhere and not to be missed, especially from the A470 down to Barmouth---wouldn't like to guess how much rubber I've shredded down there over the years :)

givit :thumb

It may well be one of the nicest stretches of road but it's also one of the most innapropriately speed restricted (IMHO) AND probably the most heavily policed!

Lisa (my better half) knows only too well having got 3 points chasing me up there on a 250N some years back. She's quite proud really, caught speeding on a Superdream....

Cogs said:
It may well be one of the nicest stretches of road but it's also one of the most innapropriately speed restricted (IMHO) AND probably the most heavily policed!

Have you ever wondered why??.....

It's because 'Sunday afternoon bikers' are killing themselves in droves and the locals are a little upset at witnessing the aftermath.

That's excellent, because a few years ago they did stop us from riding over which was a shame as it was a convenient link for some of our trails, we're going there again before too long and will try it.:)

Rode over the bridge last year... Asked the lady in the pay booth it it was ok to ride over she said " yes just take it steady "...I have used the bridge a few times on the bike in the last few years and had no problems apart from walkers giving you a funny look...:eek: After all it does say motorcycle in the toll charge list..And GS with 2 people on makes a wonderful noise on the loose planks
:thumb2

Attachments

• bridge.jpg
    bridge.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 1,702
Mind you the train makes more noise...and shakes it enough to make you think the bikes going to fall over :hammer

Attachments

• bridge2.jpg
    bridge2.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 2,357
Just been there this weekend and wish I knew that, but did use the small Toll bridge,
BTW the wet roads nr dolgellau where covered in Diesel, and the road that twists and turns all the way from porthmadog to beddgellert,.

Barmouth Bridge

Yes you can ride a bike across, I did so Saturday 13 Oct 2012, 0830 hours, no one collecting tolls so I did not have to pay. The toll charge notices are obviously recently repainted, £2.50 [it was £2.00 in the photo on Wikipedia - Barmouth Bridge dated 2007, so they must be open to bikes]

We did it last year. If you can locate the access path at the back of the carpark it's best done south to north as the toll gate is more easily negotiated going uphill. Watch the exit onto the main road 'tho - it's on a blind bend

Crossed it twice this year. No problems, paid the toll and off to go. Lovely scenery nice ride.:D

Don't think I've ever been charged:thumb

Attachments

• IMGP1944 (Small).JPG
    IMGP1944 (Small).JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 762
I live there and ride it regularly:thumb Wont even cost you this time of year. Take your time as the boards can be slippy when wet. But yes you are allowed:thumb

Take heed of the advice it cost me a new clutch and gear lever on my husky a couple of years back rushing for a :beer: at the last inn

Back
Top Bottom