Fords Ride from Hograost on Saturday

The building work at Warnborough is complete - as an average the marker post is about right.
I didn't bother to stop and check the route across (but wish I had :mmmm )
since it looked ok - however there are a few holes deeper than the marker indicates - of course I managed to find all of them :eek:

Attachments

• P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 217
At least the gravel is fairly firm. Seems a popular place with old people stopping for their picnic.

Attachments

• P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 229
Just past the gate is the second ford - about 6 inches deep.

Attachments

• P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 209
I developed an odd low speed misfire - so had a look at Bramshill (currently about 18 inches deep) and Lower Common (currently about 15 inches deep) but bottled both of them.
They look slimey but doable - they would need wading first since it looks like there are definate "shallower" ways across. If help was present in case it all went wrong I'd have a go :cool:

Forgot to mention - there is no alternative route across Bramshill.
A GS will just fit across the footbridge at Lower Common but go slowly, otherwise you'll knock both handguards against the handrail and then wonder why a) your brakes are locked on and b) your clutch won't work DAMHIK :eek:

Hi Guys seeing as you got me in the photo's count me in and Beth says she can't wait and is looking forward to seeing you all again.

Fanum said:
Right...many thanks for that Clive....we won't be doing it on this ride then (but it does look like somewhere we should go back to one day :thumb)

Liv.......Scarver and K100 should be fine.....all of the route is on Tarmac, or the ford is within sight of it so people who don't want to leave the proper road can avoid doing that altogether.

Gary (tuned in ) did it last year and he doesn't even go on bumpy roads :D

That is good news! :clap Wery good news!
I hope we'll ride with you Saturday, then!
The ''roads'' on Clive's pictures here is not perfect for me... or my Scarver! Or Knut and his K100RT - he want it to ''survive'' Hogroast.

(I can't see all pictures, like yours here. I'll try to figure out why.)

Andover Jungle; the vikings are coming! :bounce1

:) Liv.

Last update ''bath-tour Saturday'', please!

-The route as said above?
-Bring food & drinkingwater, or by lunch in the Andover Jungle? (A badger on a bonfire?)
-Start Saturday and end when we get out of the jungle? ;)
Please don't tell me there is no such thing as a ''Andover Jungle''!
Oggo-bogga!!! :D

The route will be similar but not exactly the same as above Liv.......I need to sit down for a couple of hours with some proper maps to tweak it through the nicest villages etc, and we won't be doing the one Clive posted about up that track.

If you put the fords in your GPS though, I think all the ones we're doing are there at least...and it doesn't matter anyway 'cos we'll be running drop off so nobody will get lost ;)

It does look like it'll be hot and sunny so yes, drinking water........food up to you but we will stop at a pub for lunch.

See you at the weekend :thumb

Fanum said:
The route will be similar but not exactly the same as above Liv.......I need to sit down for a couple of hours with some proper maps to tweak it through the nicest villages etc, and we won't be doing the one Clive posted about up that track.

If you put the fords in your GPS though, I think all the ones we're doing are there at least...and it doesn't matter anyway 'cos we'll be running drop off so nobody will get lost ;)

It does look like it'll be hot and sunny so yes, drinking water........food up to you but we will stop at a pub for lunch.

See you at the weekend :thumb
Thank you!

But I can't put it in my GPS as it is still in a store somewhere, waiting forme to by it. -Am I and Knut the only who do not have a GPS? It seems like it...
-Is there a prize waiting for those who find Hogroast and do not have a GPS? ;)

My pink slip does not start after lunch on Sat, but I would like to meet up with the fording posse early afternoon, you will probably not be that far away from me (Padworth Common is not far away), any idea of likely time at Warnborough?

is the fords ride fully subscribed yet? think i'd like to come along.

i think that jase and me might be up for this althoughi doubt thumpers tyres will be getting wet i will keep liv and knut company jase might try the fords though...

if thats ok x

I'd limit the ride to about 14 bikes at the most.....more than that and it starts getting a bit daft ...TBH there probably won't be more (if last year's is anything to go by ) so we'll see how many people are lined up on Saturday morning....If necessary, We can split into two groups but it's unlikely ;)

Shugie......Text me when you're setting out (make sure you say who you are ;) ) and I'll let you know where we've got to...Goodworth Clatford takes a bit of time 'cos it's such a nice ford with good photo ops so we won't be geting around the course too quickly....Droxford would be the best place to head for maybe....it's by far the bestfun ford and we'll be having lunch down that way, before or after the ford depends on the time and how people are feeling etc.

I'll have a piss about with the route in a bit and try and get a finalised version up here tonight.....but it's looking like it's going to be a good day out :thumb

Ok here we go...the final (ish) route.

Obviously subject to change for roadworks /weather etc, but if everything goes well, this will be it.......

You'll notice there's an obvious shortcut that can be made across the North East corner, missing out Lower Common and Bramshill if we run short of time........

I've split it into two so there's no circular route mis-directing on recalculation :rolleyes:

.gdb route attached in the next post.

Attachments

• hugmoist-route-pic.gif
    hugmoist-route-pic.gif
    17.4 KB · Views: 125
Just a few ground rules though ;)

As mentioned before, we'll be using the drop off system....this will be covered in the pre ride brief, but it will be important (look at the little wiggles in the route to see why)

I'm ok with overtaking in the system, in fact it works well because if you like pressing on it means that you can drop off then make your way to the front to be 2nd and drop off again....please overtake sensibly and courteously though, this is more of a quick bimble than a fast road ride ;)

Please make sure you fill up before we leave the site..having to stopp to refuel immediately pisses people off ;)
If anyone needs to refuel further around though, let me know in plenty of time and we'll stop at the next garage. (the route is approx 125 miles start to finish)

When we arrive at a ford, please don't dive straight into it...we'll stop, walk it first then do it........some apparently shallow fords can have deep holes in, and a half submerged shopping trolley ain't gonna look good stuck in the front of your helmet :D

We're going down some tiddly roads..they and the fords themselves attract those big smelly equine things......so if we meet a hoss, slow down, be prepared to stop and generally be sensible around them (if actually at a ford, we'll kill engines and wait til the bastid's gone ;) )

If you do drop your bike in the water, don't panic, people will be along to help any second.......but remember a photo has to be taken first...it's the rules ya know :D

If the bike conks out, DO NOT attempt to start it in the water......we'll drag it out and make sure it's not hydrolocked first....the only two people who I've seen damage their bikes in deep water (myself and Clive) didn't ....you've been warned :D

Finally, we'll stop in the carpark of the rudgy club when we get back and check all final drives..it only takes 30 secs per bike and it's much better than seizing your FD half way home :thumb

Route attached ;)

Bring it on :D

:hogroast :hogroast :hogroast

Attachments

• Hugmoist fords.gdb
    117.5 KB · Views: 115

Back
Top Bottom