Fords Ride from Hograost on Saturday

Fanum

Toubab
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After a week or two of not being sure I can go, I can disappoint everyone by announcing that I will be going after all :D

I'll be doing a fords ride out on Saturday......We had a good day out last year and hopefully this year will be as good if not better......

The route isn't finalised and I have some more research to do, but this is the prospective plan.

As always, there will be ways around all of the fords (apart from one which is a very shallow water splash type one) , so you are more than welcome to come along and just watch the fun without getting your tyres wet let alone anything else ;)

(and that means it's suitable for doing two-up, which is what I shall probably be doing)

We'll start at a sensible time on the Saturday morning (To be confirmed but probably around 10.30) and after a short briefing, we'll set off and will be using the Drop-off system (that's what the briefing will cover so don't worry if you haven't used it before)

It's more of a bimble than a fast road ride, and there are some lovely little roads in the area, but we have a distance of around 130 miles to cover + the fords, so I'm expecting to get back to the Hugmoist at around 4 or 5...We'll cut the route short if necessary to do this :thumb

1) Goodworth Clatford

This is a nice starter and a good photo op.....it's a ride through, turn round and ride back job.

IMG_1560.jpg

billgivesalift.jpg

IMG_1557.jpg

There was an, ahem, minor incident there last year but we know how to deal with them easily so don't worry too much :D

drop2.jpg

attachment.php

2) Longparish

longparish1.jpg

3) Tichbourne
There's a rideable wooden bridge across this one, but it's quite tame :D
Becky...you've got to do this one yerself this year ;)

IMG_1575.jpg

billsgotasmallone.jpg

IMG_1576.jpg

4) Exton

It's just by the road so we'll have a look but IIRC this one was a bit deep last year.......or I might just fit my snorkel :D

exton2.jpg

5) Droxton

This was my favourite ford of the trip, and second only to Corwen overall I think...it's 180-ish meters long...you ride in one end than ride down the river, popping out at the far end with a stupid grin on your face :D

IMG_1568.jpg

IMG_1569.jpg

thelongone.jpg

6) Lindford

A basic watersplash ford......
lindford1.jpg

7) East Worldham

I'm really not sure about this one...it's a half mile long track that runs up the stream and it's sort of off-road....If any locals know it or have done it, I'd appreciate any info....we may well skip this one but if we don't, I'll have an alternative way around for those who aren't happy doing offroad.

east%20worldham2.jpg

8) Warnborough

There are two nice fords here...sadly, when this pic was taken there was a bit of building work going on but I'm told it's nicer now.....

warnborough1.jpg

9 Lower Common

lower%20common2.jpg

10) Bramshill

Bramshill.gif

There's one that I can't find..it was the last we did last year and I'll see if I can dig it out as it wasn't that far from Andover

IMG_1586.jpg

IMG_1580.jpg

The potential route looks like this;

hogford.gif

And the possible route is attached (but Subject to change ;)

I'll update in the next week or so, and if anyone has any info on any of the fords it'd be welcome.....

If you haven't done a fords ride before, this should be a good one to do as a starter....A rough idea of how many would like to do it would also be welcome in case I need to pre-book a pub for lunch due to numbers :thumb

Attachments

• Hugmoist fords possible route.gdb
    74.4 KB · Views: 132
Wow - looks a good rideout

Add two riders for the trip please (one being a ford virgin)

Fanum said:
10) Bramshill

There's one that I can't find..it was the last we did last year and I'll see if I can dig it out as it wasn't that far from Andover

I think you'll find that is Longparish - your photo is from the other way to the photo from Wetroads.

Went pogoing tonight - gave Bramshill a miss - the marker post was showing 2 feet deep and it's pretty accurate (it's a little deeper than the marker if you don't get it quite right). You wouldn't get a GS through it at present - it's not far from me so I'll try and remember to have a quick look at it on my way to the Hograost next Friday.

Clive said:
I think you'll find that is Longparish - your photo is from the other way to the photo from Wetroads.

Went pogoing tonight - gave Bramshill a miss - the marker post was showing 2 feet deep and it's pretty accurate (it's a little deeper than the marker if you don't get it quite right). You wouldn't get a GS through it at present - it's not far from me so I'll try and remember to have a quick look at it on my way to the Hograost next Friday.

You're right Clive, it IS longparish...now yoou've said that I recognise it :thumb

Cheers on Bramshill.....it looks llike a good one and it's on the way back after the penultimate one so we can take a look witohout too much of a detour ;)

Fanum said:
... There's one that I can't find..it was the last we did last year and I'll see if I can dig it out as it wasn't that far from Andover
Bill. I've definately got the co-ordinates of the last one on my GPS.

I'll post it here as soon as I get it, so don't go spending ages looking for it. :thumb

Taff said:
Bill. I've definately got the co-ordinates of the last one on my GPS.

I'll post it here as soon as I get it, so don't go spending ages looking for it. :thumb

Cheers Taff, but Clive nailed it....have a look at the Longparish pic in the first post..it's that one, butthe Wetroads pic I posted is in winter and from the other direction so I didn't recognise it ;)

That was a good one.....short but fun....seem to remember we had a few big sploshes there :D :thumb

Guess Tina will have to bring spare clothes then :D

Fanum said:
Cheers on Bramshill.....it looks llike a good one and it's on the way back after the penultimate one so we can take a look witohout too much of a detour ;)
I've just realised that "Lower Common" is the one next to "The New Mill" restaurant - I've only ever managed that once on the GS when the water levels were low - normally it's as deep as Bramshill :eek:
On the day, if Bramshill and Lower Common are no good, the two fords at Arborfield Cross (on the Berkshire page of Wetroads) may be suitable - they are only a few miles further (depending on which way your route goes) - although they both have a bit of (fairly easy) Byway to get to them

-Where do I rent a ballon?
It would be fun to sit in the basket 10 feet above a ford, watching you guys get wet pants! :bounce1 And throwing cones! :D

;) Liv.

Liv...you are more than welcome to bring your Knut and your scarver along on the run........you can watch all the wet stuf from the side and the ride itself passes through some lovely villages :thumb

Fanum said:
Liv...you are more than welcome to bring your Knut and your scarver along on the run........you can watch all the wet stuf from the side and the ride itself passes through some lovely villages :thumb
Thank you!
I love too! :clap
But do you think the roads are perfect for not-tourances? And we are riding a K100RS and a belted Scarver.
I have not been riding gravel roads so much either.
-How long is the route?
-An early start from Hogroast?

:)

Clive said:
Didn't realise you were in the Ice Cream business.
What tune does your van play?
:D
''Norwegian Wood''.
And I'll give some ice on a cone (the sugarfree type cone) if you eat it! :D

;) Liv.

Fanum said:
7) East Worldham

I'm really not sure about this one...it's a half mile long track that runs up the stream and it's sort of off-road....If any locals know it or have done it, I'd appreciate any info....we may well skip this one but if we don't, I'll have an alternative way around for those who aren't happy doing offroad.
Took the scenic route to SPC today, armed with my camera...

Erm, it's a bit more than "sort of off-road" ;)

Quite technical - a fairly constant gentle incline going SE from Alton.
A couple of wide "rock pools" with an inch or so of slime in them, one fairly large (but smooth) "step". Plenty of loose rocks, branches, stones etc.
Probably not recommended for novice off-roaders especially on Tourances - although you'd probably be OK(ish) in a group with help for pushing, picking up etc :D

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 323
It's currently not much more than a very long 1inch deep puddle - around 1/2 way along the "stream" bears right into a ditch and the Byway continues on...

Attachments

• P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 216
The Byway is very deeply rutted with a few interesting bits ;)
Not the best of photos but here the bike is resting against the bank.

Probably, harder in places, but easier overall to go up the incline rather than trying it downhill IYKWIM

Attachments

• P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 202
Right...many thanks for that Clive....we won't be doing it on this ride then (but it does look like somewhere we should go back to one day :thumb)

Liv.......Scarver and K100 should be fine.....all of the route is on Tarmac, or the ford is within sight of it so people who don't want to leave the proper road can avoid doing that altogether.

Gary (tuned in ) did it last year and he doesn't even go on bumpy roads :D

Back
Top Bottom