i-pod, i-river, i-dunno??

Hi Cookie,
I've come to the conclusion that the 4gb Nano is the way to go, with the optional fm radio to plug in. I'll mount it on the bars next to the Garmin and wire in to my Autocom. As you say, it has to be solid state rather than HDD.

Does anyone know if the ipod displays the radio station name on the screen with the fm unit connected ?????

Cheers, Colin.

Fanum said:
Get the AV500.....you know you want to ;)

You can get the bullet cam later.....and you can tell Ange you're getting that one just for her so she can watch corrie while you're away :eyebrow

VA246.jpg

:thumb

actually, "both" is a possibility :green gri :mmmm

edit: FLICK ME! the camera's 142 FLICKING QUID :yikes

so that's

329 for the one with "free" battery

21.49 for the car charger

142.29 for the bullet cam

42 odd for the remote

150 for the i-pod nano

nope, too much. much too much. whistling is getting quite apealing :)

cookie said:

Hire me to ride along next to you, and i'll sing out loud all your favourite tunes :thumb

cookie said:
so that's

329 for the one with "free" battery

21.49 for the car charger

142.29 for the bullet cam

42 odd for the remote

150 for the i-pod nano

Why do you need the nano as well :nenau

Fanum said:
Why do you need the nano as well :nenau

to put in my pocket when i don't fancy carrying around something as big as the archos.

cookie,

a couple of thoughts (some of which have already been covered):

• iTunes does not stop you loading mp3s from other sources
  • If you use iTunes software (v6.0.5) and an iPod, there is a facility to equalise the volume of all tracks on playback (either through the PC or through the iPod)
  • MP3 ripping software is readily available, some is better than others
  • There are significantly cheaper sources of mp3 files than iTunes and other commercial suppliers
  • (this forum should set up an mp3 swap forum - maybe slightly illegal!!)
  • iTunes software is very good for cataloguing your music
  • however, the software is pretty aggressive on a Windows application and screwed up my registry!

Here's the setup I use on my bike:

IMG_1822.jpg

You'll notice that it's not an iPod but a really cheap non-branded CF mp3 player I bought off eBay for a few quid.

• It works
  • On the bike you will NOT notice any quality drop off (even with monitors)
  • It's attached to the a self-made bracket (a couple of P-clips; a piece of perspex and some industrial Velcro from John Lewis's haberdashery)
  • I don't give a stuff if it gets wet/scratched/etc
  • It has chunky controls that I can operate with gloves

:headphone

Greg

that's the sort of thing, but i'm feeling a strange need for the i-pod slickness :rolleyes:

This is my next mp3 player when it comes out shortly.

FWIW My iRiver iHP140 which I've had for 4 years has been fantastic - built like a tank - has easily withstood my treating it like the brick that it resembles - it's been attached to my tank, handlebars and generally thrown about the place and has never skipped a beat. If the build quality is still the same on the newer models they'd definately be worth a look IMH....

Pluck

Greg Masters said:
Download the iTunes software here

Greg

i meant the controls and menus on the unit + they're so dinky i could strap it on my arm like them jogging people do :)

Trust me get a 'pod!

at the risk of bashing the wasps nest that is the Jap bike loving nasty imitation MP3 player buyers.......

BUY AN iPOD you wil not regret it..... I have 3 of teh turkeys they are superb. Shuffle for running push bike etc. Mini with Airclick for the BM and 30GB with music on .... Oh and its all run by a mini mac......

Brand loyal? Nope I just like stuff that works and work and works and works and works and works and works .......

You get the picture?

My Jap bike loving bargainn hunter mate bought some jap MP3 player and he's always pissing about with it.... Me just plug mine in, remote in tank bag and lots of out of tune singing......

:ymca

cookie said:
i meant the controls and menus on the unit + they're so dinky i could strap it on my arm like them jogging people do :)

ooooooooooohh stoppit.....my sides hurt!!!!

Cookie....jogging..........

:hapybnce: :hapybnce:

Fanum said:
ooooooooooohh stoppit.....my sides hurt!!!!

Cookie....jogging..........

:hapybnce: :hapybnce:

the key word there was like. you'll be relieved to know i have no intention of actually running anywhere :cool:

forget iTunes - yes the layout is good - but the library management is pants.

but MediaMonkey is SOOO much better.

instant ipod recognition and synch (if u want it )

album cover d/l thru amazon - also tagging

i luv it.

mediamonkey gold available on channel BT :thumb

MikeP said:
Kev,

I'm like Cookie, I don't know very much at all about this MP3 malarky. That looks like a good bit of kit but how do I get MP3 format music?

Is there some way that my Cd's can be stored as MP3?

Sorry if it's a daft question. :eek:

May have already been saidd, but iTunes can do it for you. You get the software free with any iPod, and, presumablly, can download it free from apple. You then just stick a CD in the computer, and it goes off to the internet to get all the track names, and then makes MP3s out of the tracks.

There will be microsoft programs that do the same, but I really like how the apple one is to use.

I am one of the people who, despite the lack of radio, has been using iPods for a while now. I like the feel, the look, and the sound quality, and how well it integrates with the computer.

i - river

hi, just reading your threads, i have an i-river which i'm well pleased with very easy to use and comes with some nice accessories. i use mine occassionally for the bike but i do use it for swimming which is a real bonus when going up and down that pool listening to your favourite tunes. good lick with the search :)

i decided on a ipod nano 4GB in black in the end on the grounds that the solid state memory would stand the rough & tumble better.

by the time i'd got to the shop however i realised 4GB was too paltry to store a really good selection so i actually bought an ipod 60GB :D

very pleased with it up to now. been loading my favourite cds on it since friday. passed 4GB ages ago and i'm only on L. got 50GB of mp3s to sort through as well yet :)

shame you have to buy a charger in case you leave your USB connection in the house :rolleyes:

ultimate ear monitors for the bike :thumb

oh and the case 'cos it's so prone to scratching

..and the decent phones for off bike use (actually a snip at under a tenner) etc. etc.

at least the gopod volume limit removal mod is free (essential with the new phones).

sounds pretty good but i'm trying not to add up what it's cost :(

ps. the ipod sound check volume normaliser is a piece of shit. compresses the crap out of the loud stuff to lower it to the lowest level. unlistenable :nono

Back
Top Bottom