dial up connection box

(RIP) willstatt

Lost
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
On BOTH my PC's, home and work.. the dial up connection box just keeps appearing, no matter what programme I'm working with... it's really annoying... any ideas?

I'm on win98 and ie5

Will

Check what applications are running when you get the DUC dialogue coming up (use CTRL-ALT-DEL once). The task manager will show you what is running.

If you don't recognise the applications that are running, you may have a rogue data miner or similar.
Do you have a firewall running?

If not, you may find there is a little program running in the background without your knowledge, that will connect to the Net all by itself.

Any more educated users care to comment?

P

settings

have a look in your "control panel" you - or someone else - may have changed one of the settings the the properties bit in for the "network and dial up connection" panel to "dial if not connected"

It's more than probably a virus paying you a visit Will. I've seen something similar on more than one pc a while ago.

Get a good virus scanner and search your harddisk(s)!

Good luck,
Michel

if it is a data miner or similar, go to here & download ad-aware std. (it's free). install, update, run. it will clean the parasitic bastards out :)

everyone should run it now & again, especially anyone who hangs out at the scuzzier end of the net. not that i am in any way suggesting that any ukgser's would do such a thing ;)

least of all me :D

still doing it

Thanks for the various advice... but problem persisting. I'm actually pretty up to date with virus software, and do a check at least once a week and am 'clear' on both machines, so I don't think it is that. I think it is something within IE5.... but I couldn't find the always dial when no connection box that was talked about.

Also... it doesn't actually dial anyway... it's just the dial up window that pops up.... it's more annoying than anything else, but it does it on both PC's which suggests it's something I've done..

Any more thoughts?

Will

If you are using IE5 you are opening yourself to risks. Upgrade to 6 with all the latest service packs.

As for the dial up network box...

Internet Explorer --> Tools --> Internet Options --> Connections

You will find three settings:

Never dial a connection
Dial whenever an network connection is not present
Always dial my default connection

Best option is the first one, but if you do that then you will have to establish the internet connection manually before you start Explorer or other internet programmes.

As previously mentioned you probably have something running in the background that is trying to contact the Internet. These can come from a variety of sources and even the most careful of us can sometimes unwittingly install them. Lots of freeware programmes now include these nasties. Worst offender is Kazaa/Grokster.

You can get ride of this spyware with a program called Adaware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Alternatively (or as well) get a firewall package for your PC - Zonealarm is a good one and the basic version is free. The best bit of these programmes is that they will tell you which program is trying to access the internet and will allow you to allow or block the traffic either one-time or permanently.

http://www.zonelabs.com (click on Download & Buy) then click on the Zonealarm link for the free version)

Good luck.

Mike

Cheers

Thanks Mike... I'm downloading Zonealarm right now... hope it sorts it out!

Will

Back
Top Bottom