Hola again... this is Ricardo from California

I will take the photos as soon as possible.

The thing about my back only occurs when I am riding - it is a posture thing rather than some kind of physical deformity. I notice I am doing it and try to stop. But when I forget I find myself doing it again - weird! I don't know if it is caused by the bike or my brain?

I am using the standard seat on its lowest setting - any higher and I would fall over when I stop!

Off to get the camera...

Here are the pics. Spot the glamorous location and hungry cat!

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 220
GlynnJ said:
I will take the photos as soon as possible.

The thing about my back only occurs when I am riding - it is a posture thing rather than some kind of physical deformity. I notice I am doing it and try to stop. But when I forget I find myself doing it again - weird! I don't know if it is caused by the bike or my brain?

Oh sure the problem is never your body (well almost never) but the way the bike forces you to change your body shape, that is were I can help....

looks to me like a modified seat will be useful if we shave a little of the front (so you can be more forward) and then cut the sides a little so you have more of a "Coca cola" bottle shape and gain some distance , hell maybe I can convince you to lift the seat to the high possition so you are seating more on Top of it as oppose to "in it' like you are now....

don't worry we will get you there sonner than later

then I think the "Bar-forward" trick will do on the cheap, since the handlebar are much to high on the current configuration to really tranfer any load into the front end and spread some of the weight around in a better fashion...

in short I think you want to optain a posture like this achive with the ricky bars..(specially selected model for this client)
6425890-M.jpg

notice how the lordisic curv on the back is totally pressent and then the grips are Pretty Low but also very far back, giving you confort , security but also a lot of control and a bike that handle really well....
I am using the standard seat on its lowest setting - any higher and I would fall over when I stop!

like Jimmy lewis my teacher will say "You butt is not made of Velcro" A.K.A. select whatever leg you feel more confortable and extend it all the way to the floor ussing your Butt chick as a extension...

what is the name of your touratech distributor,, he tinny and also super fast just take a look at the way he do it in the dirt, is not so hard..
Off to get the camera...
got them, good job

pro-taper conversion

ricardo kuhn said:
sure Dave I have some left...

and don't worry Silver is the new gold anyway...

anytime you want..
Ricardo
As promised some stats height 5' 10" weight 225lbs 48" chest 38" waist, short legs 30"
shoesize uk 10, glove size lge to XL, short arms, wide shoulders , build heavy, std seat on low (but to be changed soon sargent or touratech sport maybe). desertio2 screen, std pegs, lots of commuting, touring when i can, bend swinging boot scraping when i am not ruining tyres on the dual carriageway & motorways.
usual problems shoulder ache, hand cramp. i think i need a straighter bar (less turn back) and maybe a little narrower? & futher forward but no higher, but i could be wrong i am sure you can recomend a set up.
can do some pics if required but not until next week when i will be home again.

thanks Dave

taz said:
Ricardo
As promised some stats height 5' 10" weight 225lbs 48" chest 38" waist, short legs 30"
shoesize uk 10, glove size lge to XL, short arms, wide shoulders , build heavy,
sounds to me like you have a extremlly long torzo (i'm the same way, a absolute pain to find overalls that is for sure) this is great if you like to ride in the dirt since the diference from seating to standing is minimal, but sound like you are more of a commuter than anything else so it does not make much of a diference.....
std seat on low (but to be changed soon sargent or touratech sport maybe).
lets figure out the best saddle for your body and needs and please don't say Corbin, and then we can figure out were the bars need to be in relation to the new seat (I'm much rather get the proper seat as oppose to adapt the bars to a wrong saddle since will be like using painpills when you can actually cure the illness
desertio2 screen, std pegs, lots of commuting, touring when i can, bend swinging boot scraping when i am not ruining tyres on the dual carriageway & motorways.
sound like the fastways (or any other big fat footpegs in this case) will help for a diferent reason since you have a lot of mass to sopport, actually a lower peg is always a benefit (I still need to see the case when is not) since your knees become more extended increasing confort...

this sound kind of strange that your upper back pain will be related to your legs. but if you legs are more like in a "Standing up" posture, you back is less tense, ergo with less pain, even if the current pain is coming more from the bars that anywere else, hey why don't fix everything if you can....

this i don't understand..
"bend swinging boot scraping"
usual problems shoulder ache, hand cramp. i think i need a straighter bar (less turn back) and maybe a little narrower? & futher forward but no higher, but i could be wrong i am sure you can recomend a set up.
i will like to see some pictures before I can really say anything conclusive, but yes you are on the right track, the stock bars are much to bend for your shoulder size.

a narrower bar is also equivalent to a bar that is closer to you, since your arms do't need to be so spread out in that much of a trapesoid (more paralel) but also need to be really careful since is very easy to go to narrower bars and encouter a bunch of diferent problems from lost of leverage to not sufficient space for all the controls and for sure a bunch of ergonomic issues...

I will say Backwards as oppose to Forward on the possition of the bars will be helpful, i just don't know how much,.
can do some pics if required but not until next week when i will be home again.

thanks Dave

i think we better wait since the fotos help so much, specially for explanation reasons..

Here's a few pictures as promised

One at a time though :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_1010.jpg
    IMG_1010.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 323
The last unless more are needed,

Pain in the wrists is the main problem :nenau

Attachments

• IMG_1019.jpg
    IMG_1019.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 324
Shep said:
Here's a few pictures as promised

One at a time though :rolleyes:

you know what mister Shep..

so far your bike is the best fit I see, yes your bars (your body) will benefit if they were a little closer, but not by a big margin, optimally the grips will be closer by about 4cms in the horizontal plane and even lower than they currentlly are, to bring some of your body mass into the front end...

please tell me a little more about your riding style to really pin point your needs and overall type of desires, not to manseion any pain you may have so we can figure out exactlly were your fisical requirement rest at the moment.....

also if you can, will be great to have a top view picture of your seating on the bike, so we can see the way your hand , wrist and arms reach to the shape of the stock bars...

keep in touch

Oh,,, those new adventures may look like a FordExploter, but they are very very nice, congratulations on the new toy...

ricardo kuhn said:
you know what mister Shep..

so far your bike is the best fit I see, yes your bars (your body) will benefit if they were a little closer, but not by a big margin, optimally the grips will be closer by about 4cms in the horizontal plane and even lower than they currentlly are, to bring some of your body mass into the front end...

please tell me a little more about your riding style to really pin point your needs and overall type of desires, not to manseion any pain you may have so we can figure out exactlly were your fisical requirement rest at the moment.....

also if you can, will be great to have a top view picture of your seating on the bike, so we can see the way your hand , wrist and arms reach to the shape of the stock bars...

keep in touch

Oh,,, those new adventures may look like a FordExploter, but they are very very nice, congratulations on the new toy...

Thanks, it certainly feels like it fits well :thumb

It is only the pain in the wrists that causes a problem, sometimes straight away, sometimes after alot of miles, sometimes never.

The pain isn't bad enough to stop me riding, but is annoying :rolleyes:

The bike is my daily transport, maybe 1 ml a day off tarmac, some of that gravel path some muddy river bank, nothing technical, the rest is tarmac 50-60mile a day, odd trips on green lanes/byways etc TKC's would be wasted on me so a good dual purpose tyre suits well.

I ride, at least i think I ride at a reasonable pace on the road, sure there are faster people, but I think some are faster due to unnessesary high risk taking :nenau

I'll try for a top veiw, i'll send the missus up a tree with the camera :thumb

Thanks Shep

Right here goes again, thought I'd copy this in here to make this thread massive.

This is what I looked like with standard set-up:

sitting.jpg

This is with just Fastways on their lowest setting:

sit%201.jpg

This is Fastways plus about 1 cm higher seat

sit%202.jpg

and about 2cm higher seat:

sit%203.jpg

and standing:

stand.jpg

It doesn't look like much, but I feel much more comfortable and I'm further forward. I can go another 2 cm on the seat height without being on tippy-toes so will try that.

But now looking at the bars:

wrist%201.jpg

from above:

wrist%202.jpg

You'll notice that all the pressure is on the outside of my palm, because the bars bend back towards me to much (compare angle of knuckles vs angle of bars). Even sitting for a couple of minutes while the pics were taken was uncomfortable. I don't see how I can fix this without a new set of bars? Or maybe I'm just a wuss?

Nin

Hi
Finally i have had time to post some pics of me on the GS with the touratech seat, Hope this helps you sort out some Bars for me.
Taz
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF1572.JPG
    DSCF1572.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 344
  • DSCF1574.JPG
    DSCF1574.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 329
  • DSCF1575.JPG
    DSCF1575.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 332
  • DSCF1577.JPG
    DSCF1577.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 334
  • DSCF1581.JPG
    DSCF1581.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 334
Hello fellow UKGSER.

I want to buy a set of the ProTaper bar mounts that you make.

I would like to have them in black.

How do I order, and how do I pay ?

I have a BMW HP2, and the OEM risers/mounts are going slightly back, and it looks is if

your model fits just fine

here is a picture of the OEM setup:

and here is a picture of the triple tree that your clamp is to be mounted on :

Thank you very much, ricardo

Back
Top Bottom