Where are all the Guzzi fans Then?

Quota in action

I kinda think sorta , maybe , i would , if it were right .
Maybe , Buy one.

Attachments

• Moto Guzzi Quota 3.jpg
    Moto Guzzi Quota 3.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 236
i'd love a go on a Quota....you hear feck all about them - good or bad :nenau
they seem extremely rare and when they DO appear for sale the price is either way over the odds or so cheap you KNOW its a dog.
all i do know about them is it seems you need to be very tall and have the muscles of a pro arm wrestler!
and whats the idea of square section frame tubing on them?
anna nother thing! - the guy i know in France thats does Guzzi spares (and a very good bloke he is :thumb highly recommended) has not one single Quota part in stock and never even gets offered them. now THATS odd.

~~
if i had the room and the money.....i'd buy another Guzzi...Nurse - the pills MUST be wearing off!
~~
Og

Ogmios said:
i'd love a go on a Quota....you hear feck all about them - good or bad :nenau
they seem extremely rare and when they DO appear for sale the price is either way over the odds or so cheap you KNOW its a dog.
all i do know about them is it seems you need to be very tall and have the muscles of a pro arm wrestler!
and whats the idea of square section frame tubing on them?
anna nother thing! - the guy i know in France thats does Guzzi spares (and a very good bloke he is :thumb highly recommended) has not one single Quota part in stock and never even gets offered them. now THATS odd.

~~
if i had the room and the money.....i'd buy another Guzzi...Nurse - the pills MUST be wearing off!
~~
Og

i rode one of the very early ones, thought it was pretty good. seat height was a bit worrying as i recall, and when you pull away it rises even higher :)

was this one of the first fuel injected bikes (gpz1100 earlier?). anyway, it worked pretty well. never owned one, but think i might when i see the right one cheap.

i assumed they were all cheap. never a big seller & hardly desirable in the mainstream :nenau

interesting what you say about spares. i guess you mean reboot spares? never bought from him but spoken a few times at the v-twin rally. seemed a nice bloke.

Not expensive

The Quota is not an expensive bike.
They are making under Euro 4000.00 on mobile.de
I think the early ones were 1000cc carbs and the Later 1100 i
the Spares seem to be pretty much interchangeable.
From the Sport / cruiser of the same era.
They seem pretty scarce , i have only ever seen 1 for sale in the UK.
The Guzzi Engine would have to be Bullet proof at this stage of the Game
probably just the same "Funny" lectrics as the others.

Just a little surprised no-one here has one !.

cookie said:
i guess you mean reboot spares? never bought from him but spoken a few times at the v-twin rally. seemed a nice bloke.

(edited out your comments - interesting reading mind you :thumb )

yes - Reboot spares, thats the one! last year Pete (and Vikki) helped us get our holiday back together when, a few weeks before the off, my Calis gearbox decided to play silly b*ggers. - the long and the short of it was this;
we turned up at his house in Deux Sevres, and over 2 days, we stripped my bike, put in a ready prepped rebuilt box he'd sorted for me in advance. all at short notice, B+B included, they took 2 strangers into their home, sorted the bike and sent us on our merry way!
top service - oh and total cost including a bit of bling (rocker guards and chrome footboard "inners") for the Cali was €600.

i was impressed and dont mind saying so :)
~~
Og

the civil one said:
I think the early ones were 1000cc carbs and the Later 1100 i

i think you'll find they were FI from the start. a rather odd single body arrangement that feeds both cylinders. not the twin body set up that cali's & sports have.

cookie said:
i rode one of the very early ones, thought it was pretty good. seat height was a bit worrying as i recall, and when you pull away it rises even higher :)

was this one of the first fuel injected bikes (gpz1100 earlier?). anyway, it worked pretty well. never owned one, but think i might when i see the right one cheap.

i assumed they were all cheap. never a big seller & hardly desirable in the mainstream :nenau

The Quota was far more popular on the continent than here in the UK.
they had a problem with frames breaking and exhaust mounts failing.

Shame they never caught on, If they had been built like the 1100/1150 GS I would still be riding Guzzis now. :eek:

cookie said:

There was an injected Z1000 launched in 1980 (?)

Always fancied a Guzzi, older ones are better IMO. Know a man that bought one of the newer LeMans brand new and had a 3 year battle to get his money back after numerous warranty claims to try and fix it (gearbox etc) Only got a settlement after RiDE magazine got involved.

~Stef~ said:
Always fancied a Guzzi, older ones are better IMO.QUOTE]

best advice i got before parting with money for one was to go for one that had a good few thou miles on it. the thinking being that the previous owner(s) have sorted all the inevitable teething troubles :eek: it's depreciated as much as its going to for a good number of years and this leaves you with a well sorted reliable bike ;)

6 years and 40k miles later..... i agree :thumb
i feel mines more trustworthy now than a much newer, lower miles bike.

insane logic :loopy - but totally Guzzi :D
~~
Og

Ogmios said:
~Stef~ said:
Always fancied a Guzzi, older ones are better IMO.QUOTE]

best advice i got before parting with money for one was to go for one that had a good few thou miles on it. ~~
Og

I was given the same advice , go for one with at least 10 tho on it.

My Lemon III bitsa has now got 47000 miles on it and it gets better every year (result of more fettling). I may be sick though, there's 5 Guzzi's in my garage and I'm selling the Rockster because its expensive and boring unless it's sat on the edge of its tyres at stupid speeds.
Here's the Lemon loaded up with camping gear and mandolin en route to the Isle of Lewis last month.
attachment.php

Still fancy another GS though, although they seem expensive compared to the alternatives.

Attachments

• DSC03523.jpg
    DSC03523.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC03523.jpg
    DSC03523.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 311
started riding oct 02, first bike a guzzi california, then a vll lemans which had 1100 quids worth of one of renegade race cans and titanium pipework made for it...unfortunately, in the 12 months i owned the bike, i had it for 5 as the previous owner who i met, bought the bike as an attempt to calm himself a bit....but unfortunately, spent all his time on the back wheel...

as a result, the gearbox was re built, the rear drive was rebuilt, and all the electrics were burnt out as he connected the battery the wrong way round, and as the earth cable was grouped with the rest of the wiring loom, it all became one...arse

anyway, mike from moto corsa rebuilt the bike under warranty for me, and as he had done all the work was happy to take it from me when i realised i wanted a bike that started everyday when i wanted it to start (1150gsa, then 1200gs)...shame as the lemans was absolutely awesome, and after i added guzzis own race cans to it...it ripped your heart out when the throttle opened...

also, added carbon fibre one tail piece with integrated tail light...only 4 made...man she was beautiful....

i believe mike was using it as a demo to sell a power commander for the v11...so it may still be at motocorsa at 3 legged cross in dorset...

some pics

Attachments

• 50pct_pipes.JPG
    50pct_pipes.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 96
  • bagsterside.jpg
    bagsterside.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 102
  • Image001.jpg
    Image001.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 97
  • Alvin's pics 110.jpg
    Alvin's pics 110.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 99
Rob Farmer said:
Time to flush the Guzzi lads out.

Come on guys I'm a big Guzzi fan. Post your pics for posterity :cool:

Should keep Cookie going for hours :D

Most probably by the side of a road somewhere wondering why their electrics have just died again.... hate the feckin things never known one even a modern one to run right all the time wiithout a gremlin appearing in the electrickey just when you least need it.

Grazoid said:
Most probably by the side of a road somewhere wondering why their electrics have just died again.... hate the feckin things never known one even a modern one to run right all the time wiithout a gremlin appearing in the electrickey just when you least need it.

Don't hold back will you? :D

Grazoid said:

older guzzis have mostly identical electrics to bmw airheads with the same problems. not many.

......apart from the mickey mouse switchgear and horrendous cockpit PCB gubbins :eek: ( LM2 especially )

and the fact the wires seem to be made of thinner and more corrosion prone copper :)

The only things they really share is the alternator and diode board - the rest is a bit michael the mouse.

motomartin said:
......apart from the mickey mouse switchgear and horrendous cockpit PCB gubbins :eek: ( LM2 especially )

and the fact the wires seem to be made of thinner and more corrosion prone copper :)

The only things they really share is the alternator and diode board - the rest is a bit michael the mouse.

...and the regulator & starter motor.

mickey mouse switchgear still working (not the kill switch though :mmmm ) on my 29 year old convert. certainly looks & feels crap compared with beemer, but it's surprising how many are still going. wiring routed through original rough handlebar drillings is the common culprit.

earlier models have dynamo & reg very similar to vw beetle & give little trouble. be wary of the marrelli equipped bikes though :rolleyes:

dunno about the wire being thinner, but i think you're right about it being prone to corrosion. diode boards rarely seem to fail on guzzis unlike bmw, ditto starter motors :nenau

guzzi electrics get a bum rap IMO. i work on these bikes regularly and don't see any electrical problems i would not expect to see on any old bikes.

ps. never been unlucky enough to strip a mk2 dash as i only have a mk 1 :D

~Stef~ said:
There was an injected Z1000 launched in 1980 (?)

Z1000 H >140 mph@560lb :eek: .with the ecu in the tailpiece, :eek where it got the guts vibrated out of it :(
Otherwise a very good bike:) so smooth :)

Only pic i could find>.
original colour but originally a twin shock.

Attachments

• Z1000H.jpg
    Z1000H.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 151
cookie said:
guzzi electrics get a bum rap IMO. i work on these bikes regularly and don't see any electrical problems i would not expect to see on any old bikes.

i've actually learnt a lot from my Guzzis electrickery - i.e; if I can fix it, it must be simple! :rolleyes: they've got to be the most basic and easy to work on, apart from MZs maybe.
i eventually DID take mine on our annual hol.
2500miles back and forth across the Pyrenees - apart from killing its RHside spark plug (wtf?! - thats one electrical gremlin i think i'll NEVER sort :nenau ) and boiling the brake fluid on the Col De Tourmalet :eek: :D it was grand :thumb

granted you do need a .... "unique outlook" :rolleyes: to cope with Guzzis - but they are worth it for the grin factor. :)

must get round to doing a write up of the hol - it was the best tour we've done - and we've done a lot at this stage.
~~
Og - happily GUZZI dysfunctional :p

Back
Top Bottom