Riding into the sky at 16,500 feet.....Altiplano, Bolivia

Awsome shots

Jealouse - moi?

Hell yes!

:thumb :clap :bow

Image00006.jpg

Top pics and scenery again there in South America!

Thanks for sharing :thumb

Jelous indeed :clap

Solar de Uyuni

Thanks for the kind words guys...

Our route through the Altiplano was to take us through to the Solar de Uyuni, the worlds largest salt flat. Again 'surreal' just falls short when trying to desribe it.
solar1.jpg

We'd ridden from San Juan after finally finding fuel. We have no idea what the octane level was and it felt strangley familiar to see fuel in plastic containers after our Africa experience.
solar10.jpg

With an early start from San Juan we'd ridden past active volcanoes and made it to the Solar by early afternoon. An expance of eye burning white, I'm not ashamed to admit that the first few 100 metres of riding onto the Solar were pretty intimidating. With no tracks we were placing a 100% faith in the GPS to get us to Isla de Pescada which, apparentley was some 60 miles into the Solar. The small knot of excitement in our stomach's was already growing.

solar7.jpg

With the Isla reached by around 2pm we'd grabbed a few photos and set about trying to see where we could camp. Any available space seemed to be taken up by the huge and ancient local cacti, besides we'd dreamt for years of actually camping out on the Solar itself, hah, that was'nt going to happen.

solar5.jpg

By early evening the wind was already getting up and an hour and a half later we'd resigned ourselves to giving up the idea of getting the tent up. The salt surface was like concrete. Even with nail spikes there was no way we were going to make any progress.

As we desperately battled to put the tent away the evening light show began. We did managed to get some nice photos of the sunset, bikes and the Solar.

solar6.jpg

solar9.jpg

solar3.jpg

...and my favourite...
solar4.jpg

Eventually we managed to get the kind permission from one of the staff on the Isla to sleep in one of the new buildings...talk about relieved!!!

We managed to get a few morning photos before heading to Uyuni town to find a cheap and warm hotel.

solar2.jpg

solar8.jpg

Ahhh, Fritz you say all the right things...PS: Javier just been on MSN and send you and Bev his bet wishes.

Right now we're in Peru staying with friends after visiting Lago Titicakca in Boliva. Ahhh, to warm again.

We've just built a new gallery on our website and uploaded it. Here's our site http://www.2ridetheworld.com just click on the gallery link and have a browse...hope you enjoy it, there's six galleries to check out.

Right I'm knackered and off to bed, night, night and thanks again.

Simon T

Remind me again, just why do I visit this site?
.Oh yes, because of threads like this! :thumb
What everyone else said, with knobs on.
Mark

Wow! Makes my planned jaunt to Wales seem rather er lame.... Well done you guys - you are truly having an adventure and the pictures are just amazing.

Hi Simon

Ive been an advertising photographer for the past 15 years.
Just wanted to say
Great shots
Good luck

Rich

Inspiration indeed...

Once again, stunning pics, great emotive text. Pure inspiration! :thumb2

What else can I say, except looking forward to following in your wheeltracks...:thumb

Just caught this thread. Those photos are the best I've seen. Ever. WOW.

Hopefully going to the altiplano in January....can't wait!

astonishing pics.

(shame I won't be with the bike....)
:eek:

Back
Top Bottom