KNOPPIX ... What? ... an innovator with a difference

Alte Wolf

Reaction score
Well been reading up and messing around with Linux of recent times. I find it very interesting in some ways.

It is a free operating system for your PC and supports a lot of different hardware now.

This version boots and runs from the CD drive, pretty cute or what :eek:

This is one of the Desktops. I am thinking of creating another partition on my hard disk and going for the kina 'Alt Boot' full install option as an alternative to winXP/Vista, just for the craic of course :D

knoppix_desktop.jpg

This is a great intro into Linux and the KDE interface, run from a bootable disk you can play to your hearts content, Knoppix has some lovely apps, and its driver support is superb.

Thanks for the links folks, I think I'll try a HD install with Kubuntu :cool:

kubuntu - last time i tried - it didn't like WiFi - might be better now.

I used Mepis and it was excellent :thumb

One of these days, that bloody Penguin is gonna kick Bill Gates' arse. :D

motomartin said:
kubuntu - last time i tried - it didn't like WiFi - might be better now.

Thanks for that MM will have a look :thumb

motomartin said:

Used the live CD version of Mepis and was impressed. Installed to a new partition on HD a couple of days ago and spent the last wee while configuring it.

Using it now :D

I am very pleased with it. Still experimenting with all the free apps (inc OpenOffice :thumb ). Infinitely customisable :eek: :cool:

I have it set up to do everything and more I was doing in windows. I think the fact that I built my PC about 3 yrs ago was an advantage as I am using the slightly older Mepis 3.4 build.

Well off to experiment a bit more. :beerjug:

Linux Mmmmmm ...... :cool:

played around with ubuntu a few weeks back. i still have it dual boot with xp on a spare pc.

i came to the conclusion it was a lot of learning for no discernable advantage over xp with many disadvantages ie. lots of the programs i want to use don't run on linux.

cookie said:
played around with ubuntu a few weeks back. i still have it dual boot with xp on a spare pc.

i came to the conclusion it was a lot of learning for no discernable advantage over xp with many disadvantages ie. lots of the programs i want to use don't run on linux.

Mepis ... a little learning for a very definite advantage.

1. OS is free
2. Office apps free
3. Endless other apps inc image manipulation software ... free.

What programs do you want to run Cookie?

I am getting to really like it now and I find I am choosing it over windows every time I boot.

Alte Wolf said:
Mepis ... a little learning for a very definite advantage.

1. OS is free
2. Office apps free
3. Endless other apps inc image manipulation software ... free.

What programs do you want to run Cookie?

I am getting to really like it now and I find I am choosing it over windows every time I boot.

what about mapsource & itunes for starters. then there's my phone software, nero, dvd copy, all the progs in my start menu...

startkr0.jpg

..and snagit, the program that took this screenshot :)

Re the ipod I am using Amarok which manages my ipod very well.

If you want something more sophisticated try gtkPod here http://www.gtkpod.org/about.html

Which also does screen grabs!! here
http://www.gtkpod.org/screenshots.html

Mepis came free with K3b which is a CD/DVD burner and is quite intuitive to use I have already used it several times.
here
http://www.k3b.org/

Mapsource again I realise would be a problem. Interesting project for someone. Maybe when it has been around a little longer more software developers will consider other OSs.

Re the phone software I know what you mean, I am looking at it at the minute. My XDA SP uses pocket windows, although I see the palm OS is supported in Linux.

I think its almost there. :)

Ok - now you're up and running with Mepis - there's an even easir one for Windows users to move to.

its called Linspire and i've tried it off a live CD and its point and click - same as windows.
I got my iso from bittorrent.

However - what gets me with Linux is how the hell do you update and install programs ?

I'm not even on the first rung of that steep learning curve :(

I can install a cd - or OS - but after that - i'm stuck :(

Any ideas for Linux basics ?

motomartin said:
Ok - now you're up and running with Mepis - there's an even easir one for Windows users to move to.

its called Linspire and i've tried it off a live CD and its point and click - same as windows.
I got my iso from bittorrent.

However - what gets me with Linux is how the hell do you update and install programs ?

I'm not even on the first rung of that steep learning curve :(

I can install a cd - or OS - but after that - i'm stuck :(

Any ideas for Linux basics ?

Have to agree MM, done a few installs with Package Manager (Synaptic) which isn't too bad as it is GUI based.

KPackage is much the same and pretty easy to use.

The console progs are a different story but if you read the install files bundled with the software packages they are not too bad.

Just installed gtkpod by this means, going to learn to fly the program itself tomorrow :)

This crowd are pretty good

http://www.linuxforums.org/

Anorak on

Still messing about with Linux, took a couple of screen grabs and then sized them using GIMP 2.2

snapshot3.jpg

The second one was taken after the screen saver came on :eek: ... not bad I reckon ... think about it :cool:
snapshot4.jpg

Loads of apps to load and experiment with still :D

Uploaded this from the Nikon D50, Linux detected camera right away. Sized etc using GIMP 2.2

test.jpg

Hi ovenpaa,

We were on the Test forum. I was posting a couple of shots on the Test forum to check how they looked using GIMP 2.2. We got chatting which was good, thanks :)

Whilst trying to edit one of my posts I deleted it. The logs photo was one of the pics.

You had mentioned 3.5 and from memory I had said about trying the later version of Amarok 1.4 which I had found more stable than the previous version.

Apologies, :(

Back
Top Bottom