1200GSA screen adjustment

Dicko

Reaction score
Hi there,

Got my GSA on Monday and I'm more than happy with it!

However I think I need to adjust the screen higher than the maximum that BMW allow... I've got it on the highest setting which seems to stop most of the wind noise but if I duck down a bit it gets even quieter and I can still see over the screen.

It looks like there are a couple of unusable groves on the adjustment due to lumps on the black plastic bits that the knobs tighten through. Has anyone removed this?

Would some Tobinators help? It's not clear if they allow any extra height adjustment on the 1200.

Thanks,
Richard

Hi Richard,

I removed the top of the black plastic washer that fits in the groves and now the screen is in the highest position. For me this works great. I heared from someone that you can use the standard 1200 GS washers as well.

Here some photos of my solution.

dsc01250small4ad.jpg

dsc01251small5hx.jpg

Greetings, Tom.

You need to remove the caphead nut on the back of the adjuster and remove the adjusters ... remember what order they came off and that they are keyed left and right) now take a hacksaw and cut the 'clits' off the black
ridged adjusters, smooth if necessary with file or w/d paper. Now this will already give you more adjustment... if you still want more do as I did and then
ream out the slot at the topmost adjustment position another 5-8mm in length ... this allows even more adjustment (my ridged black adjuster sits a notch or two above the last silver notch and is MUCh better. I also added the Wunderlich lower screen adjusters that give about an extra 20mm of tilt adjustment. :thumb

Very soft, I used a junior hacksaw but a knife may do the job..
It still didn't do the job for me though (i'm 6'2")..
I now have torbinators and a Touratech deflector on top..

Very smooth air at 70mph... but it still clips the top of my head so no buffeting but still wind noise..

Dicko said:
Thanks for the info. How hard is the plastic? Will a knife do the job or do I really need a hacksaw?

Richard

Are you sure that u need to cut these plastics?
If you turn those pieces with the lumps looking down, will be enough?
But I think you must dismantle all the screen before..

Saludos!!

I could also do with adjusting my screen to be higher.

I'm 6'1" and with the screen at highest position I have buffet on top of helmet,whereas if I duck down a tad it is smooth.

I don't want to hack anything off and would prefer the Tobinator route.Are they available for the GSA12 yet ?

Ta

you cannot turn them upside down as the flaired groove won`t fit back on that way,
I had a quick glance at putting the left one on the right etc but I don`t think this is possible either!?.
As before ,use a hacksaw as its a bit hard for a knife and the jobs done..

soma said:
Are you sure that u need to cut these plastics?
If you turn those pieces with the lumps looking down, will be enough?
But I think you must dismantle all the screen before..

Saludos!!

No - they are shaped and ridged specisfically for that side and direction... really no big deal to cut them off and is no major intervention. With this and slotting out the adjuster coutout a bit more plus the Wunderlich front adjusters I must have got about 30-40mm extra height.

If you don't want to cut replace with standard GS parts - no lugs on those and they cost next to nothing

de-cliterisation

I've just cut the lumps of mine today and its a good mod. You can't see any signs of butchery when things are reassembled and as the man said, you get an extra inch or two of height :)

Has anyone noticed the amount of heat that is transfered from the oil cooler upward past the instrument panel. The heat continues upward about helmet height, reallllly noticing the heat now its warming up down here.

Has anyone considered making a deflector, to redirect this heat?

Gonz.

Gonz said:
Has anyone noticed the amount of heat that is transfered from the oil cooler upward past the instrument panel. The heat continues upward about helmet height, reallllly noticing the heat now its warming up down here.

Has anyone considered making a deflector, to redirect this heat?

Gonz.

Can't say I've noticed :nenau But it's probably not an issue that will concern many in the northern hemisphere,if you find a solution be sure to post it here so that we can adapt it to provide heat to the rider for 10 months a year ;)

back to the buffeting question

Has anyone tried one of those little clamp on extension screens? :rob

Back
Top Bottom