Tobinators question (probably again)

Ian916

Reaction score
We all know of the awful head buffeting that we get on our 1200GS’s. I really cannot understand BMW allowing this to continue on standard bikes; - Ducati changed their screen on the Multistrada after launch, but that’s another rant!! :) My first post on here before I bought a GS I pointed out my problem with it, - and a couple of you guys kindly suggested Tobinators. I bought my GS, tried to live with the standard screen and put up with it but now it's time to do something about it so off to the Nippy’s site with the credit card to sort it. Reading the website bumph from the Tobinators people/person I see it appears that the effectiveness seems to be covered with a fairly serious caveat; or does that read that they do not know if the products work? I can appreciate that we riders are all different heights and ride in different positions so it is difficult to make a cast iron guarantee but what about something close to scientific proof showing us that they do at least make a difference? The buffeting has an annoying side effect; noise. So why not take 1 rider with standard screen, fit his helmet up with some noise meter, - then fit the Tobinators and take another reading? I would like to see the differences for some sort of proof of product suitability. Any thoughts? Any real experiences of these?

Hello - I'm the Tobinator person.

I dont have a noise meter I'm afraid. I did try and do something similar with a microphone stuck in my helmet, attached to a PDA, but the results were pretty crap. Anyway, I could always have just turned down the volume on the "Tobinated" sample and you'd be none the wiser.

However, they aren't intended to improve the noise, just the buffeting, otherwise it would be called www.stopthenoise.com. The noise on the 1200 is due to the angular shape of the screen and the plethora of edges. There are plenty of other screens which are less angular (Nippy does a popular one as well).

But, thanks for reminding me that I still have a paragraph on my site which is v.old from when I first released the 1200 version - I'll have to update it.

Cheers!

Andy

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply Andy.

I had always thought that there was/is a connection between the buffeting and the noise; - the noise is caused by the buffeting? – A few of your reviewers mention the difference to noise as well as buffeting. I guess that I had hoped for a more scientific explanation to their effectiveness really. I understand that a wind tunnel may be expensive to hire for the day, but the handheld with noise meter would at least be a gauge. Reality is that you could falsify the results, - but would you? You would be breaking the law so I would bet that you would publish what you found or not publish at all.

- 65 viewings on this thread and nobody has anything else to add or say, - perhaps all others are still with standard setups and have not noticed the buffeting and noise. I will order from the Nipster Norman. – Digital Dictaphones that link with your PC have decibel metering on them now, - I have one, - I could download the files and track the results?

Ian916 said:
- 65 viewings on this thread and nobody has anything else to add or say, - perhaps all others are still with standard setups and have not noticed the buffeting and noise.

That's about the nub of it as far as I'm concerned - I have no problem with buffeting / noise. I do plenty of long haul high speed motorway work and find the combination of Tour X (with peak) / screen at highest position / ear plugs / 100+ mph quite bearable.

Whilst I appreciate that how much of a problem it is is down to how tall a rider is and riding style I sometimes wonder if peoples expectations of a bike like the GS are too high :nenau After all, it's a naked bike with a screen. It's not a fiully faired tourer. If I wanted to have complete protection from the elements and a silent ride I'd buy a Pan or something similar.

I've always had 'naked' bikes and my GS is the first bike I've owned to have any sort of protection from the elements - it may well be that the level of buffeting / noise I experiance would be unaceptable to others here, I guess we will never know, but to me it's the best I've ever known and suits me fine :thumb

Mmmmm..............just read that back - bit of a ramble but hopefuly makes some sort of sense :beerjug:

Andres

Just fitted tobinators on my 1150 Adv and they have definately stopped the buffeting but I get a bit more wind on the body which is OK for me. Hasn`t helped with the side wind though but then again I`m 6ft and 16stone...!!

I`ve got a Tour X, which is noisy anyway, and have to say that you can`t expect any GS to be as quiet or as calm as a "proper tourer" like an RT or FJR.

My opinion is, for what it`s worth, is make it as comfy as you can and enjoy what the bikes designed for and ride it for all it`s worth!

After all, when was the last time yoy saw an FJR down a green lane or half way across Mongolia????.

Yes, you're right that noise can be related to buffeting. Small adjustments of the screen position with Tobinators on can result in both a louder and a quieter ride. Noise can vary from a smooth whoosh to an unbearable thrumming. Also, if you adjust the Tobinators in a particularly odd way, you can also get more buffeting especially on the 1150 Adv with its big screen, rather than less, though not many people do this!

However, there's quite a few other factors which influence noise, and this is particularly the case on the 1200. Chief among these is the "edginess/angularity" of the screen and the "messy" dash/screen/panel/beak support layout. These result in large disturbances to the airflow which results in noise.

The noise is less profound on a Tobinated 1150 due to the smoother airflow from the more rounded screen and the smooth silvery thingy which sits above the headlights. And of course the 1150 will be going slower than the 1200 so will be quieter anyway :D unless of course the 1200 has broken down :D :D

There is a dash cover from Touratech which may smooth out some airflow over the 1200's clocks but I haven't tried it in conjunction with the Tobinators to see if the noise is reduced.

However, there's little doubt that, when combined with our favourite Tour-X helmet, the 1200 is pretty noisy. I found those snot-green foam earplugs to be most excellent at reducing noise levels, and also have some custom moulded Ultimate plugs with speakers for music playing. After a while you forget all about the noise from the screen.

Cheers

Andy

I fitted Tobinators to my 1200GS and they solved the buffeting problems I experienced at +75mph. I'm 6ft. 1" and wear an Arai helmet. Have to wear ear plugs because the noise level increases dramatically at anything over 50mph. no matter what position I have the screen in.

If you think you get buffeted on the GS, I personally don't think it's too bad, you should try an Aprilia Caponord. I feel as though I've done 15 rounds with Tyson after some trips! The wind hits me slap bang in the helmet.

I had no buffeting on my 1200 with the standard screen, but found it noisy.

I tried Tobinators with some small improvement, but more experimenting with the Tobinators led to a still quieter and smoother airflow. Not up to Pan 1300 standard, but certainly consistently better than the standard set up.

There are so many variables in play here - even with the same rider and helmet. I have noticed a marked difference in airflow noise depending on wind direction relative to travel.

Outtomunch said:
That's about the nub of it as far as I'm concerned - I have no problem with buffeting / noise.

Same here 5 foot 9 (170cm) shortarse and system 4 helmet. No problems right up to silly speeds. :thumb

I've had success with Tobinators on the 1200GS

Used to have a Cee Bailey 3" taller, 2" wider windscreen. It worked great to knock down the noise and buffeting. (I'm 6'2" tall so the stock screen was hopeless...)

Problems- The Cee Bailey looked like a barn door and on hot days the stagnant air pool in front of my head was unbearable. Switched to a Z-Technik adjustable screen- an attractive, high quality piece :thumb .

Once I added Tobinators to the Z-Tech it was as smooth and quiet in the "up" position as the C-B . On the hot days I drop it down and get clean air on my helmet.

Perfect! Thanks Tobers!

I'm 6ft, and in the upright screen position, I suffer from bad buffeting, which on a long haul hurts my neck eventually.. In the low screen position, I get a lot more noise, but sweet FA buffeting..

I just picked up a set of Tobinators, and am hoping that this will help, and allow me to keep the screen in the upright position, without the buffeting. But I'm open-minded, and am aware that they may not help or suit.. Here's hoping!

The problem i had with my screen, which is an adventure screen fitted on my 1150, is that it wobbles, and it wobbles and shakes alot. i bought some tobinators on saturday from mr nippy at Princetown, i fitted them yesterday, which even i found very easy :eek: i have not had a chance to test it at speed, but the screen feels firmer than it was before, will have to go the long way home from work and try it and if necessary test and adjust the screen :thumb

I've had the Tobinators on my 1200GS for quite a while now, and I think they are a big improvement.

But I think part of it is I've made no attempt to get my head out of the wind with them. Rather I have them set to angle the screen much flatter and thus getting my shoulders and head up into smoother air. And still not have a lot of chest pressure to fight.

Lets face it though, no amount of tinkering is going to turn a GS into a RT or LT. If you want a pocket of quite stillness to ride in, you bought the wrong bike.

They definately worked for me on my 1200GS. I raked the screen down and up as far as possible (in a sportsbike stylee) which had the desired effect. Best thing is that you didn't feel like you were getting beaten up whilst going down the motorway. Still required earplugs, but you would on any bike.

Helmet buffeting

I have not really suffered unduly (after a couple of years all weather biking) up until around 130 kph. However after reading about the GSA windscreen and finding that it can be (fairly) easily put onto the standard GS I treated myself recently. Total cost, including the deflectors each side, was just under 400 euros. If you think this is too expensive there is plenty to read on this site about fitting just the deflectors - which cost about £34 a pair - they require just two 6mm holes to be drilled each side of the 'tank' and apparently work wonders. I just finished fitting the deflectors this morning and rushed out to try it out in the rain -but the rain stopped too soon! The screen alone seemed to cut out all buffeting. (Also I think the whole set up looks 'right' on the GS.)

Noise

I find using Aria full face helmet, a lot noiser than using Aria SZ helmet. [i.e.open face helmet with lomg viser]

Back
Top Bottom