What gear to wear in hot weather ?

I wear a savanna two all zips open, Acerbis Klima trousers (cordura 5000 been off at 75kph and just look a bit scuffed) and ride like fcuk basically. BMW do some lightweight kit and youve got the Toureg stuff from HG or even look at the KTM stuff (see Neo at advrider).

If I had to wear "the proper kit" in Spain in summer Id sell the bike.

I don't know if to worry... but will they make my arse look like this?

f1w_045.jpg

Hot Weather Gear

Summer temperatures here can reach 50 C and average in the mid 40s from June to August.
I wear the Joe Rocket Phoenix Jacket and pants.
They are full mesh with both integral and removeable armor.

The jacket has an optional water-retaining vest insert, as well as a full-coverage water-proof insert.

Armored, mesh gloves and a cool tie, kept in the refrigerator, complete the package.

By the way, at temps above 110F, 43C, the "wind chill" factor reverses and it feels hotter as you ride faster.

fieldsheer mesh

although i have tried to buy one off their U..S site i never seem to get any responce.I tried these at the nec and would have bought it there but the guy would not haggle ,, so i walked, had i know they were this hard to get i would have bought it.

wessie said:
...Whilst the safety nazis will say that you should wear approved gear all of the time, I beleive that if you are uncomfortable then your concentration will drift. This applies whether you get too hot or too cold...

Very true, if you've ever ridden in temps of 30C+ (40C+ is common in towns) with too much gear on you'll know how distracted and badly you ride when you get when start to over heat, riding too fast is the most common, just to cool down, certain ATTGATT (All The Gear All The Tie) types reckon it's a machismo trip not to wear the gear, from my experience they probably don't ride in real heat.
If you can't live with the thought of gravel rash, and you feel too hot in your gear, then don't ride, simple as that! A Cypriot rider I know went and bought a full mesh Air Flo suit... very serious and safety concious bloke, very expensive suit, he never uses it:rolleyes:

Cyprus summer gear is about the same as Italian, flip-flops, shorts, shirt & shades, the Police have got tough so now we carry the helmet.

BMW Air Flow suit. I got an end of line Version 1 suit pretty cheap. Full mesh and armour. Used it all the time in the Summer. Comfortable too.

Paul

BawdyMonk said:
Cyprus summer gear is about the same as Italian, flip-flops, shorts, shirt & shades, the Police have got tough so now we carry the helmet.

in southern Spain that isn´t necesary of course you may be asked to produce a receipt demonstrating that you own a helmet, or at least someoned in you family does.

Joe Rocket!!

I bought a Joe Rocket mesh jacket last year from Infinity for £100 or so, and rode with it to Istanbul. The return leg was through the European Heatwave - 42degrees at 8:30 pm in France.

The rest of the gear comprised Levi 501's, BMW mesh gloves and a pair of Alpinestars boots which are like armoured trainers and let the wind pass through.

But as already pointed out, temperatures above 40, there;s no windchill benefits!!!

Most Cost Effective Approach...

cheap, lightweight, cool and fits perfectly... :D

Attachments

• mxb.jpg
    mxb.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 251
First of all, you can wear the coolest gear and still sweat like a pig in cotton T-shirt and underwear, so I'd suggest everyone to go for dry-wicking synthetic underwear - I myself wear Helly Hansen stuff from the outdoor shop.
And mesh armoured summer gloves are a must - I wear Lookwell, but a host of others have their own designs.
In France and Spain I wore my leather Lookwell Condor with the mesh front and back zippers open. I have a pretty good in-built thermostat [I adjust quickly to hot and cold conditions], but if I can find a good mesh jacket with protection I'll probably go for it.
I'll have to check out the Lookwell catalogue again...

By the way, most of those Kool Ties that Aerostich sells are also for sale at most outdoor shops. The beads inside saturate with moisture and keep your neck cold for hours, so it's definitely worth the expense. Chilled neck is cool blood to your hot brain...

pr0ne said:
i would definately agree with this, just the same as not stopping for a piss when you know you should affects your riding.

i bought a pair of Hein Geriche Tuareg Rallye strides a while ago to wear in hot conditions - i haven't trying any full-on heat yet but they've been nice and cool in fairly warm conditions so far.

pr0ne

I wore a pair of those in Spain in June and got very betty swollocks. Saw a dandy GS Yellow jacket on the BMW stall at the NEC with mesh panels under the arms and down the sides but they wanted £240 for it.

Back
Top Bottom