Sticky gearlever

walti

Reaction score
My gear change from 3rd to 2nd to 1st is getting sticky, the symptom is that the return spring on the lever has got weak, but I seem to remember it being somthing about dirt in the lever bush or somthing.

Anyone know how to clean it out? or lubricate or whatever?

It's nearly due it's 12,000 and 2nd annual services so i may leave it till then.

Iain Hogg said:
WD40 cured the same problem on my 1150 :nenau

Yup, good dose of WD40 in the mean time and ask the garage to take a butchers in case anything's damaged/worn :thumb

WD40 will only last for so long, i striped mine down and used some copper grease, been fine and dandy for the last 9 months or so

xbootie said:
WD40 will only last for so long, i striped mine down and used some copper grease, been fine and dandy for the last 9 months or so

Strangely enough, so has mine :mmmm

Wouldn't change down

I had this problem and did a search on here for a similar thread.

The issue with mine is that the lever would feel solid when trying to change down, even out of top coming off a motorway.

Took it back to the dealer, they reamed a bush in the gear lever out, this didn't help.

Following the comment on the thread I found, from Tobers, if I recall correctly, which described my problem and the output shaft that the clutch sits on (all mechanics forgive my ignorance), is meant to be greased when they assemble the bikes, but it would appear not all are being done and the clutch grips the shaft and does not completely disengage. It can be remedied if you blip the throtle on the downchange.

Anyway having explained this to my dealer, they "reported to B*W" that the gearbox seal might be leaking!?! they were then able to strip the back of the bike, under warranty, taking off the gearbox I believe and guess what output shaft as dry as a bone and rusty.

They replaced the clutch as they had the bike apart, and greased thge output5 shaft, now all is well with the down change.

Any doubts get it in under warranty.

Cheers

Pavs

This is exactly what mine (1150) has been doing. I have spent a can of WD40 lubing it up so hopefully that will help. Sounds ominous though about the clutch business.

Back
Top Bottom