Givi Maxia - sourcing from Overseas

Ashes

Hi guys, hoping you can assist here.

I'm looking for a topbox for the R1200GS (2005 model). The one I'm considering at the moment is the Givi Maxia (52 litre). I have BMW Panniers but as I'm using the bike 90% of the time for commuting, I need it to be a bit thinner on the road.

In Aus, I can get the box and mounting kit for AUD$559 and AUD$170 respectively.
Having a look on Italian eBay the boxes are coming in at around AUD$280 new I'm guessing the mounting kit (SR684) would also be around 50% cheaper (about $90). So I'm looking at around AUD$370 plus postage (I'm guessing AUD$100) - total around AUD$470 vs AUD$730 sourced locally.

My questions in all this, is...

how reliable is the Givi setup on the R1200GS?
Is it worth sourcing one O/S at around a 30% saving on forgoing the warranty/replacement items and waiting..waiting..waiting..?
Is there a recommended seller/country etc.?

My ideal preference is a 2nd hand setup coming in much..much cheaper. There doesn't seem to be a big market here on eBay and when they do come up they are going for big money still.

Givi kit is 1st class.

But you need to check how much it's gonna cost to freight stuff over the other side of the globe, plus any import duties and taxes that your government may see fit to impose.

My chum has a 1200, and the Givi mounting bracket looks as solid and secure as the one for my 1150.

We both have E52 boxes. I can report that they are tough, well-made, and waterproof. They withstand the odd knock or scuff far better than BMW's system cases do.

Warranty may or may not be crucial to you. It might be that Australian dealers would offer support - you'd best check.

Getting hold of Givi bits seems very easy here in the UK and I can't imagine it would be too difficult in Oz, or even by mail order from Europe (subject to post/taxes).

Oh, and you can, of course, get 2 full-face helmets in the E52 or even 9 six-packs of Coca Cola or probably beer if you're an alcoholic.

Thanks Droopy,
cost to ship from the UK would be around $150-$200, US would be around $100 to $150. Both are dependent on shipping method. Generally speaking from AUS you can always get the gear cheaper OS even with postage factored in. Bike gear and accessories are pretty pricey in AUS due to a relatively small market (necessating smaller but more frequent shipments). Dealing via distributors in AUS means a large shipping charge from the country of manufacture + local distributor profit + retailer profit. I would say this pretty much doubles the cost of the item.

If the items are relatively trouble free and work well it is worth considering, if they are prone to problems, it is usually better to buy local. 2nd had prices OS are really competitive.

I use a givi 52 maxima new off ebay £145 on my 1200gs with the bmw system side boxes & it looks & works very well .
If you are going to get it sent over why not get any other small light bits you want & ship them inside the box
My sister moved to aderlade in january & still waiting for winter :D she loves it out there but i don't think i would be able to handle the heat .the aircon no her house is as big as my shed :cool:

Warning about the Givi

I have used a Givi top box on all my recent bikes including the current 12GS. One of my top box mounting plate support arm bolts has sheared. This is not an isolated case. Search on 'GIVI RACK MOUNT' and you will find the thread where other users have had the same problem (sorry - don't know how to insert a link). On the other hand there have been plenty of posts about BMW boxes falling off as well so.... :nenau

Back
Top Bottom