Helmets - best anti-mist? Not System 5 :D

Guys I also have a BMW System V - seems ok so far, I've ridden down to about 40F and while moving it's fine, and I flip the visor open a crack at stops. As winter approaches here in the USA we'll see.....

Question I have is: What exactly is the Sys V double visor ? My Sys V came with the clear and an optional dark visor. Are there other visor options available ?

Thanks

Hello Tony. BMW offer a visor with a pin-lock system and call it a "Visier Doppelscheibe" which literally translates to "Visor double disk". For riding in Scotland, temperatures mostly 30f to 65f with LOTS OF RAIN, this is almost essential. Without it your visor will mist up unless you open it one stop. If you do that the rain will blow in and land on the inner surface of the visor in droplets which badly obscure vision plus of course water also runs down the inside of the visor from the top.

The pin-lock visor costs about US$130 here in the UK.:beerjug:

Lazer Dome

I can't fault the Lazer for its anti mist properties. I have worn one for the last three winters and does not even mist up sitting in a traffic jam on the M6 in a monsoon deluge with the visor closed to keep out the cold. In very heavy rain if you are going fast enough water can get drawn into the vents on the side and into the mask but if you are going to ride that fast in very heavy rain there are a lot more important things to think about than your comfort level, like the hymns you would like sung at your funeral. Agree about the noise level but well worth it not to have to ride around on frosty mornings with the visor cracked open a bit to avoid misting up.
Don't worry about the marks the mask leaves on your face. They make you look like a "Sierra Hotel" fighter pilot after a tough sortie.

Any helmet with a pinlock will do the job of killing off misting. The new pinlock that has the thicker edges is better than the old version but mine never mists up and neither does the wifes.

I'd be interested in a pinlock if anyone knows about one. :beerjug:

Just got a pinlock for my Concept. Struggled to buy one in UK so I used these guys

Zubehör-Shop-Frankfurt | DAINESE-CORNER | C. Schrader KG

You will need to Google it as I can't remember the url!

The site has english on it but they don't take credit cards and you will need to pay by IBAN (ring your bank - the service costs about £9).

Arrived pdq and works well.:clap

Pinlock for me.
Works well.
The only time I had problems was due to faulty pins supplied with some Shoei helmets and pinlock sent me repair kit FOC.
I tried the lotions and the stick on fog city - none as good as pinlock. The only downside I can see is that you may have vision problems with the top edge of the insert in the sportsbike riding position.

Pinlock worked fine in my HJC Symax.
I wonder if anybody tried it with a Arai SZ/C ?
Seems to be to curved to fit

prul

Just got a pinlock for my Concept. Struggled to buy one in UK so I used these guys

Zubehör-Shop-Frankfurt | DAINESE-CORNER | C. Schrader KG

You will need to Google it as I can't remember the url!

The site has english on it but they don't take credit cards and you will need to pay by IBAN (ring your bank - the service costs about £9).

Arrived pdq and works well.:clap

You can buy a Pinlock on its own or with a visor from that site. Which did you get and if with the visor, was it fitted? I've sent the shop an email but thought I'd ask you while I'm at it in case they don't reply. The inside of my visor could do with replacing no thanks to the shite clearance offered by the top of the C2 helmet when opening - never again :spitfire

I haven't read through the whole thread - so it may have been mentioned already - but you can get double glazed visors for BMW helmets.

They work well, i put mine on every winter :thumb

No such thing..

I hate to say it guys.. but i dont think there is such as a thing as helmet that "wont mist".. it just depends what your head shape is, your riding style, weather conditions and how you breath/depth of breath/exhale via nose or mouth, how much exertion you have been upto.. and if your like me and wear glasses, the glasses mist more than any of my helmets..doesnt it??

I run a shoie lid, and have always done so.. brilliant in my opinion but will still mist up, the vents and the side lock work a treat, but not if your breathing very heavily after say.. picking the bike up off its side on a muddy back lane.. or if your neck gater/warmer is pulled so high it directs your breath up into the visor.. just my two pennies worth.

Back
Top Bottom