Goodbye Northern Russian Border...'ello Murmansk

simon thomas

www.2ridetheworld.com
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
What a busy few days!! We’ve just left Inari, Finland. Lapland, land of the rarely seen funny man in baggy red clothes (no, not Jimmy Saville, the other one!) The land of lakes, Christmas trees, ’to die for’, roads and grumpy campsite owners with hygiene issues and dodgy haircuts…….more on that later.
We left Hammerfest proudly displaying our ‘I’ve been to Hammerfest, the most Northerly town in the World’ sticker, displayed like some type of medal of achievement to be marvelled at by others - OK, in fairness it’s a bit dodgy looking and not quite as impressive as the cubs 25m breast stroke badge – but we had to have them all the same.
We left Hammerfest late at 11:00 am and we packed up in the rain, weary from the previous nights marathon 'journal frenzy'!We we were a week behind and we didn't want to start forgetting things.
Back on the bikes, heading down the same main road we had arrived on a day earlier, we were aiming form ‘Nordkapp’ – for some reason ‘Nordkapp’ sounds so much more impressive than North Cape.
Dodging reindeer as we went, the road to Nordkapp became more barren and truly more awesome as we climbed more northwards. As we rode on, the snow on either side of us became bluer and harder as the temperature dropped and Lisa and I became more and more excited, “bloody hell we’re almost there”.
The last 5 miles to Nordkapp saw the road narrow to 1½ cars width with no barriers left and right between us and the sheer drop into the ice-filled lakes below.
A couple of noteworthy points abut the Nordkapp: there is a tunnel you must used which will set you back £7 if you’re on a bike and much more for cars, caravans etc – this is payable ‘both ways’; entry to the Nordkapp is (at the moment) £19 per person – this fee is currently a hot topic of conversation within Norway.
We rode the last few 100 yards after paying and parked up next to the only two other bikes there – a Triumph Tiger and R850GS – and headed into centre in search of warmth. Anything would do, a radiator, a coffee, a nubile young blonde with an open mind and open…………..sorry, sorry! …..got carried away….it’s the cold! Two coffees and two doughnuts will set you back £8.50. We ate them very, very slloooowlllyyyyy! With our hands once again at operating temperature it was picture time. Past the visitors centre no vehicles of any kind are permitted, which is a shame as I wanted pictures of us and the bikes at the Nordkapp monument which sits on the true “71° 10° 21 point”. Not deterred I asked at the information desk for a meeting with the site manager. After a few questions to determine I wasn’t just another grumbling German complaining that I couldn’t see the midnight sun for clouds and demanding a full refund (apparently this has happened!), my request was granted! I also think our charity badges and stickers helped to substantiate my request.
5 mins later we were explaining our trip and its aim to Katrina, who explained that normally it is strictly forbidden and if she allowed us, she would have to let others and she didn’t think it was possible. 5 more mins on and with a rye smile, she said “OK! But you have to be quick and I will have to make some arrangements”. The arrangements were to restrict public access and to find a member of staff to take the photos.
We enthusiastically thanked her and ran to the bikes, both of us a little surprised we’d pulled this off. Riding on the pegs over loose shale and rocks normally only negotiated by foot, we quickly parked up next to the monument, mindful of the bottleneck we were creating as people waited to get to the Cape. The member of staff took our camera and snapped away as we directed her as to the kind of photo we wanted. We thanked her profusely trying to make up for the cold she was having to bear. All done, we rode back to the parking area and then back inside for a few more thank-yous!
Whilst waiting for 12 pm and the midnight sun, we met Andreus, a local silversmith and Kawasaki rider. He mentioned that he’d “lived here always” and had never heard of any vehicle being allowed out to the point. We were chuffed or what!!!
Thank you, thank you, thank you Katrina!!
We waited for midnight with our new friend Ouve (sorry if its spelt wrong!) who turned out to be the owner of the R850GS. Ouve was German and was heading home down the same route we had just used to come up from Bergen. At 12:30 am none of us were tired, the sun had made its appearance on cue and it was time to make a move. We opted to ride through the night (or day) to North Finland as our budget had been hammered following Nordkapp and we thought we’d save the campsite money.
We said goodbye to Nordkapp, the Bearing sea, The Artic Ocean and the 7K tunnel and 15 mins after saying goodbye Lisa made a new friend – flying no more than 10 feet overhead and with a wing span like Concorde, she was being closely inspected by a huge bird of prey which turned out later to be a white tailed eagle ……this trip keep getting better and better!
We rode until we reached the small town of Inari close to the Inarijarvi lake and at 6:30 am we staggered into the small souvenir shop/café and downed some coffee – we had once again become very cold. 3K down the road we set up camp and slept until 3pm. We were tired and cold but what a great couple of days. Brilliant!!

We stayed in Inari for a couple of days, enjoying some sun and trying to save a few pennies (sorry…Euros)! We are now in Kirkeness a Northern Norwegian border town, checking the kit and bikes over before crossing into Russia and making our way to Murmansk. Every ones keeps warning us about either the roads, bandits or military, as Murmansk is the home of the Russian Northern Fleet so no photographs. We have also beened warned to expect to be stopped by bored traffic police who want to check out the bikes.

Well that,s a quick update for now, I’m off now to find places on the GS’s to stash a few dollars.

Well done to the Morrocan boys and we hope everyone has a fantastic time at Bakermans do!

Take care all, ride safe.
simon & Lisa T

If you want to check out more, our trip journal is up on our web page at: www.2ridetheworld.com

Attachments

• nordkapp_lisa_cliffs_15062003.jpg
    nordkapp_lisa_cliffs_15062003.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 596
Heres another one of us at Norkapp...

Attachments

• nordkapp_bikes_us_monument_15062003.jpg
    nordkapp_bikes_us_monument_15062003.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 573
...and one more, taken of me at Inari Lake. The piccy was taken at midnight. This is one of the most serene places We've ever been.

Cheers
Simon T

Attachments

• anari_midnightsun_17062003_25.jpg
    anari_midnightsun_17062003_25.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 591
Well done Simon and Lisa (for putting up with him :D ).

Hope the rest of your journey remains as exciting.

Met Ted Simon on his return to Dorchester last Friday, do I need to change my name to Simon to travel round the world?

Iain

Ian...YES you do!!!b:D :D :D

We're still in Kirkenes waiting for our stamp and trying to sort out tyres for Lisa. We called ahead to confirm the dealer in Kirkenes had the right tyres for (commrade) Lisa's F650GS, we were told yes. Unfortunatley he meant NO! So unless we can get some tyres sorted in the next few days, Lisa has the prospect of trying to get to Moscow, along some notorious roads with very crappy rubber and almost no tread. She's currently using Continental TKC 80's, which have proven to be brilliant.

So we'll wait and see, although we can't wait to long as our month long Russian visa started yesterday on the 22nd June.

Cheers
Simon T :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom