Madrid, Espanol

jnrobert

Reaction score
Now that Beckham is there I am going to be in Madrid in October (by the way why does Mrs Beckham always look like someone trying very hard not to fart? And why the sobriquet Posh? These are questions that engage us over here).

Anyway, in truth I am going for the Art museums but does anyone have hotel recommendations? I want to stay close to the action.

Also, is there a train from Madrid to Cost Del Sol? I need to attend a birthday party and want to get there and back in a day or two.

Any responses greatly appreciated.

:)

Why dont you Hire a car on the way down take in the veiws
about 350 miles from madrid to the costa
whilst you down that way nip into Gibraltar and see a small bit of England.:)

Paradores

Spanish state owned hotels, all 5* and almost all in restored buildings, the spanish government spent a fortune restoring monaseries, villas, castles, etc and turned them into 5* hotels and wonderfull they are too, check out

http://www.parador.es./ingles/index.htm

We stayed in four on a recent trip to Spain one of them was a 9th century castle at Cardona, lovely it was, parked the bikes in the courtyard inside the hotel.

Premium accomodations by any standards and cheap in comparison to british hotels.
One thing to think about, Dinner does not start before 20:30 hrs in Spain, if your'e used to eating earlier than this, as I am, then take lunch 13:00 to 16:00 and maybe get tapas later.
I enjoyed Spain greatly and plan to explore it further, the people are friendly, the food is great, the wine is good, the beer is good, the roads are good and for a lot of it, empty.

Have a good trip.

Gracias. Great tips and I am going to followup on this (by the way for some reason your link didn't work). Unfortunately I will be bikeless on this trip but I am planning a Pyrenees/Spain trip by bike in 2004 so this will give me a chance to check it out a little.

Thanks again.

Tes, totally agree about staying in a Parador - luxury at vfm prices!

There is a train from Madrid to Seville and I think that it's a pretty good service, but it doesn't really cover the Costa Del Sol.

The Easy RentaCar (EasyCar ) - they are cheap if you book early and have an office in the centre of Madrid (ie not at the airport).

Greg

RENFE the Spanish Rail peeps are on http://www.renfe.es/ingles/index.html

Haven't been on a train for a couple of years but the rail links out of Madrid Atocha seem to be quite good, and their trains put the sh*t we put up with in England to shame.

There are 7 or 8 trains a day to Malaga, which is very Costa del Sol. Prices between 31 and 79 Euros depending on train, time and class.....

Paul

Thanks again, you guys rule!. I think I'm going ot make all my Euro vacation plans via this site in future :thumb

Back
Top Bottom