Mapsource For Dummies: Part Two - Creating Routes

Deleted account W

Mapsource For Dummies: Creating routes

I want a route so i can ride from my house to all three pubs that I created in "Mapsource For Dummies: Part One", then a taxi back home.

I click on Edit and select New Route, a pop up box appears…

869702549_92DZJ-O.jpg

I click on insert waypoint and another box appears…

869702519_xLmmT-O.jpg

I want all these waypoints in my route so I click on the top one to highlight it, hold down the shift key on my keyboard then click on the bottom waypoint in the list.

869702547_oa9xr-O.jpg

I click on OK and now have all my waypoints in the Route Properties box…

869702549_92DZJ-O.jpg

These are in the wrong order so I move them up and down by clicking on them to highlight them and then use the yellow arrows to move them up and down the list to the order I want them…

869702576_k3uKB-O.jpg

To give me........

869702598_h5guL-O.jpg

When I’m happy with the order I click on OK and Mapsource works out the route and saves it in the Route list on the left of the screen.

869702600_acms2-O.jpg

To review my route I right click on the route in the list and select “Show Selected Route On Map”….

869702612_HcNug-O.jpg

The route looks like this…

869712690_eShkA-O.jpg

I’m not too keen on using the A52 so I need to alter the route manually. To do this I select the white arrow icon. I click on the route where it follows the A52…

Two black “elastic” lines appear between the waypoints before and after this section of the route…

869702634_rTAU7-O.jpg

I drag these two elastic lines to the bit of road I’d rather use than the evil A52 and click again to stick the route to this point. Note: This creates a “Via point” not a Waypoint…

869702660_TSMK3-O.jpg

This creates the route I want…

869702691_qEPie-O.jpg

By right clicking on the route in the list and selecting Properties I get a pop up box. If I select the via points tab I can see the extra Via point I just added. This won’t appear in the Waypoint list for this file but just as part of this route..

869702710_2KaB7-O.jpg

I’ve a thought, what if I wanted to go back home the same way after I got to the last pub, calling in at all the other pubs again. That would be good.

So I right click on the route and select Duplicate Route…

869702711_6xJCe-O.jpg

I’ve now got two routes the same so I right click on the second one and select Invert Route..

869702721_kYcnj-O.jpg

This gives me a return route, it also re-names it…

869702742_yhsuJ-O.jpg

Clicking on the save icon would be wise at this point.

Next I want to transfer my routes and waypoints to my GPS. Let’s assume the maps that the routes cover are already loaded, I’ll deal with that can of worms later.

I plug the GPS into my PC and select the “send to device" icon and make sure there’s ticks next to Waypoints and Routes. I then click Send.

869702749_UDTMP-O.jpg

Your device should now have the two routes in its Route Planning menu and the Waypoints should be in My Locations in your Find menu.

Next I’ll have a go at transferring maps.

Laugh a minute eh?

im glad i asked now :D
You enjoy all this dont ya Kev :thumb

OK clicked on edit, new route. Up pops box and that's it I am unable to go to the next step. The insert waypoints box is inactive, in fact evrything in the pop up box is inactive. Comments please oh wise one

Whatton said:
I want a route from my house to all three pubs then a taxi back home.

?

Why not just let the taxi decide what route to take. :nenau

madmikey said:
OK clicked on edit, new route. Up pops box and that's it I am unable to go to the next step. The insert waypoints box is inactive, in fact evrything in the pop up box is inactive. Comments please oh wise one

Have you got some waypoints in this file to open?

Have you done Mapsource For Dummies: Part One? :D

Steptoe said:
Why not just let the taxi decide what route to take. :nenau

maybe he is a blind taxi driver :nenau

Maybe Whatton should set us all a Mapsource test. winner ....................well, wins :D

Are you only able to save Four routes at any one time, as, i saved a new route and i cant now find the first one i did. :nenau

Onahi said:
Are you only able to save Four routes at any one time, as, i saved a new route and i cant now find the first one i did. :nenau

Have the routes all got different names? If not then the latest one will overwrite the previous one named the same.

they are all named different, and there is a list of four, but as i add another new route, it delets one, unless they are hiding somewhere. i cant find them anywhere.

I've no idea then, try Garmin Technical Support ( 0870-8501242 ) on Monday unless someone else comes up with an answer here before.

Also try the Route tool icon in the tool bar

Using the above tool you can really quickly generate a route on the exact roads you would like.

Having selected the 'Route tool' Simply click on a starting point on the map, then click on the next turning point you want and mapsource will automatically calculate a route and so on......

I was just able to create a 100 mile route going down my favourite routes in less than 1 minute. This method doesn't even need waypoints generating

I have only just started using Mapsource today for the first time - V9 arrived with my Zumo. I'm impressed.

Oh mighty one
I have just changed to 2610 from SP 3
Downloaded v7 mapping as used on SP3 to 2610
2610 says routes made for SP3 do not match available maps?
Ideas?
Derek zedtours

Back
Top Bottom