Autocom problems....

blues n twos

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm very new to bike coms and the ADV I recently bought has an Autocom system fitted. Its the Active 7 smart model.

Having come back from the bike show I bought all the leads etc for gps/music/phone.

Fitted it all today and have come up against a few problems.

1).. When listening to voice prompts from my Quest1 via Qpac I cannot turn down the volume. With the volume turned to zero on the Autocom it's deffening in the ears. Could not find a volume control on the Quest either :nenau

2).. When the phone rings I can hear the other person in the earpieces and my own voice when talking but they can't hear me :nenau Also when listening to music from my phone I can only adjust the volume from the phone. The volume control on the Autocom does not seem to do anything. :(

3)..There are three main plug leads from the Autocom. I assume one for me, one for pillion and there is a very short third :nenau Whats that for?

4).. last but not least :rolleyes: When the bike is running there is a lot of interference. Crackles and wines that go up in pitch with engine revs :nenau

As I am new i'm sorry if there are obvious answers but could not find anything on the "search" facility.

Jon :beerjug: :beerjug:

John Armstrong said:
In (3) is the third leads plug grey? If it is, that's the one I use for the Garmin, but it goes straight to it.

Yes it is mate. But the lead I was sold from Autocom is a 2.5mm audio jack the comes from the audio out on the Qpac and then plugs into this input adapter/splitter that I was also sold :rolleyes: This then plugs into the main Autocom unit.

Jon :thumb

STUBBS said:
i'll look my instructions out and bring them up tomorrow

Cheers Ian,

I have read what info I have with the unit and it's mainly about setting up the VOX correctly. There is no fault diagnosis. :rolleyes:

Jon :beerjug:

blues n twos said:
Yes it is mate. But the lead I was sold from Autocom is a 2.5mm audio jack the comes from the audio out on the Qpac and then plugs into this input adapter/splitter that I was also sold :rolleyes: This then plugs into the main Autocom unit.

Jon :thumb

Is it worth trying to bypass the PDA and at least see if the Quest will work as you'd want? Then add bits in and see where it's going wrong. Unless you have already done it :eek:

John Armstrong said:
Is it worth trying to bypass the PDA and at least see if the Quest will work as you'd want? Then add bits in and see where it's going wrong. Unless you have already done it :eek:

I have tried it with gps only and likewise with the phone but no volume control :(

It works but it's so blo0dy loud it makes me jump :eek:

The Autocom is wired in to work only when the ignition is on. I might change that around to see if it helps with the interference.

John Armstrong said:
IIRC the Active 7 is switched off when you remove the headsets, so you don't really need it to be ignition switched IMHO :eek:

Ahhh... will bear that in mind.

Cheers mate :beerjug:

Quest volume is adjusted via the Quest not Autocom.
Press and hold the SPEAK key (bottom right) and then adjust the volume using the cursor left and right on the sliding scale that appears on screen - it will go off after a few seconds of inactivity or when you press OK key.
(This will only be available if you've got you're unit updated as it was a frimware fix - although quite a while ago now)

GPS will always take prescedent over music when activated

Interference will most likely be caused by power leads or headset leads running near ignition or HT cables

HTH

Sherpa ;)

blues n twos said:
Hi all,

I'm very new to bike coms and the ADV I recently bought has an Autocom system fitted. Its the Active 7 smart model.

Having come back from the bike show I bought all the leads etc for gps/music/phone.

Fitted it all today and have come up against a few problems.

1).. When listening to voice prompts from my Quest1 via Qpac I cannot turn down the volume. With the volume turned to zero on the Autocom it's deffening in the ears. Could not find a volume control on the Quest either :nenau

2).. When the phone rings I can hear the other person in the earpieces and my own voice when talking but they can't hear me :nenau Also when listening to music from my phone I can only adjust the volume from the phone. The volume control on the Autocom does not seem to do anything. :(

3)..There are three main plug leads from the Autocom. I assume one for me, one for pillion and there is a very short third :nenau Whats that for?

4).. last but not least :rolleyes: When the bike is running there is a lot of interference. Crackles and wines that go up in pitch with engine revs :nenau

As I am new i'm sorry if there are obvious answers but could not find anything on the "search" facility.

Jon :beerjug: :beerjug:

Sherpa seems to have sorted point 1)

2) Ring the factory and ask about this. You may have the wrong lead or adaptor for your phone. Some stereo phones have 4 poles, stereo out + microphone + ground and there can be incompatibility with a 3 pole input socket. Volume control on autocom might control music only on that model, so check that out.

3) the third cable is for bike-to-bike comms but can also be used an an extra input socket for a GPS, for example.

4) Are you running you quest off bike power? If you run it off battery power and the whine goes away, then you many need an isolating lead.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for your replys chaps :beerjug:

Gives me something to go on.

The phone lead is only a 3 pole lead. Maybe sold the wrong one :nenau will contact Autocom. The packet the lead and adapter came in did not list my phone.. Nokia N80 but sales chappie said it was the right one :rolleyes:

Will Have a play with the Quest at the Ace tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom