here it is

shiredevon said:
Thanks johnnyboxer, very interesting, is he ok, looked a nasty one.

Good friend of mine

Rider's fine now..........bikeless until 2007 (by choice)

Not going into detail in public as he's on here and well known to many

JohnnyBoxer said:
Good friend of mine

Rider's fine now..........bikeless until 2007 (by choice)

Not going into detail in public as he's on here and well known to many

OK, so I'll assume from that there was no other vehicle involved, glad to here he's ok though

LiquidLAN said:
OK, so I'll assume from that there was no other vehicle involved, glad to here he's ok though

Wrong to assume.........LL

That was not the case at all

The bike was hit square on the r/hand pot (which took the full & total impact of the collision) by a car.

Damage is all in the middle of the bike..........car hit bike scenario - no rider error

That's why the rest of the bike is relatively undamaged structurally (just a bit of cosmetic)

Engine took a direct hit and a substantial amount of hot oil was sprayed everywhere at high pressure

JohnnyBoxer said:
Wrong to assume.........LL

That was not the case at all

The bike was hit square on the r/hand pot (which took the full & total impact of the collision) by a car.

Damage is all in the middle of the bike..........car hit bike scenario - no rider error

That's why the rest of the bike is relatively undamaged structurally (just a bit of cosmetic)

Engine took a direct hit and a substantial amount of hot oil was sprayed everywhere at high pressure

Sorry, missed the smilies on the previous posting.

sounds like the biek came off lightly, I've heard a couple of stories of pots sheering off and engines coming away from gear boxes in similar impacts. Surprised though that insurance didnt pay out on it, or was it written off?

The fuse box is for the BMW spot lights and screws to the right hand side front subframe and the connector is one of the spot light plugs.

Kenny Rodkiss said:
The fuse box is for the BMW spot lights and screws to the right hand side front subframe and the connector is one of the spot light plugs.

that makes sense, but I can't see any fogs in Johnnyboxers pic. JB might be able to confirm if they were on before the impact.

LiquidLAN said:
Surprised though that insurance didnt pay out on it, or was it written off?

You assume a lot :rolleyes:

Assuming leads to the wrong of the stick inevitably...............which is what you've got :nono

How else would it become insurance salvage :nenau

It's not good form to go into an accident's details.................got it yet :rolleyes:

Especially one that's befallen a respected member of the UK GS Community

Hope so.............. :rolleyes:

thanks kenny, i wonder if the wire without the plug went to the other spot light, there was a funny sensor thing inside the beak, i'm not sure if it's a frost sensor, the wire was broken so it's not attached, can't see where it came from yet, i thought initially it was from the broken wire with the fuse box but the colour coding was different.

JohnnyBoxer said:
You assume a lot :rolleyes:

Assuming leads to the wrong of the stick inevitably...............which is what you've got :nono

How else would it become insurance salvage :nenau

It's not good form to go into an accident's details.................got it yet :rolleyes:

Especially one that's befallen a respected member of the UK GS Community

Hope so.............. :rolleyes:

No assumption JB, just meandering thought, sorry if I've offended your sensibilities...

Was unaware that it was insurance salvage, mearly that it was badly accident damaged.

As for accident details, I'd hate to see Shire in a position that he spent loads of time and effort into rebuidling and straightening this out only to find the first time he pressed the starter button that there was something nasty and unpleasent going on deeper within the engine.

From what I've read so far I think the guy probably has enough on his plate.

Actually having just reread my posting, I'm not sure what it is you've taken offense at, all I said was I'm surprise the insurance didnt pay out (ie to have it repaired)

LiquidLAN said:
As for accident details, I'd hate to see Shire in a position that he spent loads of time and effort into rebuidling and straightening this out only to find the first time he pressed the starter button that there was something nasty and unpleasent going on deeper within the engine.

From what I've read so far I think the guy probably has enough on his plate.

Actually having just reread my posting, I'm not sure what it is you've taken offense at, all I said was I'm surprise the insurance didnt pay out (ie to have it repaired)

I agree with you on that, and after all if someone posts a pic of a beaten machine, obviously knowing the history, then surely they can expect questions about it? If these questions offend etc. then don't post in the first place, just add comments to the blokes query and be as helpful as possible.

Come on chaps we're all tossers together, don't worry bout me if there's something horrible i'll shoot it between the eyes, (picture will be posted)
thanks for all your advice. i'll keep you posted about the grand starting ceremony which should take place this weekend when i have the replacement head.

LiquidLAN said:
No assumption JB, just meandering thought, sorry if I've offended your sensibilities...

Was unaware that it was insurance salvage, mearly that it was badly accident damaged.

.Actually having just reread my posting, I'm not sure what it is you've taken offense at, all I said was I'm surprise the insurance didnt pay out (ie to have it repaired)

Sorry for being OTT, only realised which bike it was after seeing the pics

It was deemed a total insurance loss and beyond economic repair with NEW Parts, IIRC

Seeing as you ask and want to know everything, as a NEWBIE

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70529&highlight=howie

Sorry about the bike, a real shame.

also, this fuse box appears to be dangling, there is also a plug, and a wire that is broken, any ideas where they go,

The plug and the wires are definitely for your fog lights. The colour coding on the plug is different from the fuse box for some reason :nenau The fuse box clips onto the frame on the right hand side, right next to the forward fuel tank bolt (held in with a little plastic relay holder thingo that twists into the frame)

Favour in return if I may ask ;) Follow that fuse box wire about twelve inches in the opposite direction of the plug. You should now be staring at a relay with a plastic cover protecting it (room for 2 relays, but only holds one small yellow relay). Can you describe the location of that relay holder??? any chance you have a pic? I am holding the fog lights in my hands as we speak (ordered after I got the bike), but can't for the life of me figure out where the relay goes (don't want to pay BMW $400 to install)

Cheers!

where?

The fuse box.
dscf0028nh2.jpg
[/IMG]
dscf0031wf1.jpg
[/IMG]

The plugs to the spot lights, wires are brown and red/white on right and brown red/green on left.
dscf0030zx4.jpg

only other plug is the ambient air temp sensor which is mounted under the beak, this gives you the temp display when you have the onboard computer option.

dscf0029dd6.jpg
[/IMG]

Excuse the fuzzy pics, can do better if you require.

brilliant info, makes my life so much easier, on dismantling, the bike is no where near as bad as i thought, so i should attempt to get it going soon,
i'll post pics when i get it back together, thanks again.nick.

Back
Top Bottom