Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Moto-Morrocco Tour #1

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Great pics
    I've gone orange 1290 SA

Through life Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Great pictures and how i so wanna go.

keep em coming please
    Who took my muscles and turned them into jelly.
    Took them from my arms and wrapped them around my belly

Told you I was scared

Well actually this is what you get for falling off in a puddle but it added to the piss taking

Cool view

At the bottom of the piste is this view which is a really famous town I can't remember the name of but it was used in Gladiator

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutley1150
    At the bottom of the piste is this view which is a really famous town I can't remember the name of but it was used in Gladiator
    Ait Benhaddou

You knew that really
    Ride Faster!..........I hear banjo music!

End of the day

Due to the rain the campsite was under water. A decision was made to wild camp back up the valley. If I'm honest I should have been a wimp and stayed in a hotel where i was but I deided to ride back up through a river to camp:

But with views like this who wouldn't have?

Day 4

It was surprisingly cold overnight and I woke sore and stiff. Wild camping isn't for me and I longed for a warm shower and clean clothes Instead I put back on the stinking kit from the day before and tried some gentle stretches while Bill made the coffee.

Then it was off to Ouazazate (you'll have to forgive the spelling and geography as it's all from memory) for breakfast. I thought it was a cool place to be as the last episode of Race to Dakar I'd seen before leaving had ended here Refueled in more senses than one we set out - the GS's letting the trailies have a head start whilst we opted for another cup of coffee.

The long roads acroos the desert are great for blasting and the scenery is great. We soon caught up with the Landy:

After lunch Tim led us up the Valley of the Roses and onto another spectacular piste. here he is posing at the top

I really enjoyed the afternoon off road. It had been a steep learning curve yesterday but I was keeping up much better now and trusting the tyres a lot more too. After the piste it was back to some spectacular roads:

and some interesting lines being taken around some of the corners

Clearly some of the rainwater was still around and just riding the roads was an adventure in itself:

Eventually we found Bill and set up another wild camp. I think in retrospect other tours are going to stay in a hotel at the top of the gorge but it did add to the adventure all the same

snoopy
    After the descent from HELL a ford was taken in our stride. Ian watched Neil do this one and thought he'd taken the wrong line - he hadn't and we all had a laugh at Ian trying to get out
    Done that same route on my GS and "hellish" is certainly an acceptable word for it. Well done! Great photo's. Now I want to go back.

Day 5

I can't begin to tell you how cold it was overnight Sat around the camp fire we had heard wild dogs howling and a local guy who had stayed for dinner told us they had been known to attack people so a bad night was had by all. We woke to this scene:

When I say it was desolate I mean it

Oh yes:

Black humour set in

Trippy
    I woke sore and stiff
    Who were you sharing a tent with then

Nice pictures and write up

Splitters

The locals had advised us that the piste between where we camped and Todra gorge was impassable, and this was backed up by the guy who runs the KTM tours in Ouazazate. Deciding discretion was the better part of valour the GS boys decided we'd have a day on the road and see the dunes at Erg Chebbi (?) before meeting up at the hotel in Tinahir.

Tim would lead Gareth and Rick over the impassable pass and Andy would go straight to Tinahir in the Landy as he was suffering with the trots. It seemed like a plan so it was obviously doomed

The GS's set off down the gorge, through the river again and out onto the desert. We stopped off to look at these mounds. There is a hole on the middle and they go down about 30m where they meet a tunnel that brings water down from the mountains, all dug by hand:

After about 150 miles we reach the famous dunes and they really are that colour

On the way back we stopped for one too many mint teas and had to ride in the dark for half an hour. This was quite scary as I nearly had an 80 mph interface with one of these:

Plus the driving after dark was truly awfull. Neil and I decided we wouldn't ride after dark again as it was just silly.

Now it gets interesting

We arrived at the hotel to find that Andy was there all alone. Gareth had drowned the Husaberg in a river and the three big trailies were stuck high up the mountains. By the time we got there it seems they'd found a hostel and had managed to get Gareth and his bike down to it. It had been a close run thing in the dark though and they wouldn't get down that night.

Bill and Steptoe had set off in the Landy to 'rescue' Gareth but Todra gorge was closed and they were having a tough time getting there.

I didn't care, I had the first shower in three days and clean underpants. there was cold beer and a warm restaurant

That's short for Pumpernickel Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Great pictures and report, Mutley!

Thanks for taking the time to entertain us in such an amusing style - can't wait for the next sequel...
    www.pumpernickelontour.com - Four months through South America on a DRZ

Day 6

Feeling far more human and after a good breakfast we began to wonder where the others were. We couldn't contact anyone on the mobiles and we were getting a little anxious. Ian took us on a tour of the town to keep us happy and it included the red light souk which was open for business at 09.00 hrs. We made our excuses and left

Back at the hotel we decided we'd go and ride Todra gorge to see where the others were. Neil made some new friends on the way:

The roads really were out as well

We made it to the top and the scenery was great

Then we rode back down again for some lunch. Finally we heard from the others and we all headed for the hotel.

We were supposed to have been going to Zagora today off road. The road route was 250 miles but it's much shorter by piste. Unfortunately we'd been advised that the GS's were unlikely to make the first bit and would have to go round. Tim and Rick turned up and set off for the piste. Andy decided he wouldn't keep up and waited for the Landy. The GS's wouldn't make it by road before dark so we elected to stay at the hotel overnight. The Landy turned up and we loaded it up with two bikes and all the kit and it set off:

Tim and Rick eventually made it to Zagora around 20.30 hrs having had to ride down out of the mountains in the dark. Bill got to the hotel around midnight.

Day 7

While the others headed out into the desert we had a 250 mile ride to cover. Doesn't sound much but then you haven't seen the roads

The Valley of the Draa is one of the most picturesque places you could ride a bike, and after the endless curves of the mountain passes it was a brilliant ride

Riding into Zagora was just like being in a Western only with 4WD's and bikes instead of horses and wagons. Steptoe had decided to stay with us and was on the back of Ian's 1100 which didn't seem to slow him down at all

We bumped into the guy who fixes Bills Landy evry time he comes down here and were invited for tea. It's a superb place with hard core off roaders everywhere, there was a real buzz about the place. good tea too

Then it was off to Tim's favourite hotel for a decent meal and some cold ones

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Nice one Mutters keep it coming

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast