Moto-Morrocco Tour #1

Great pictures and report, Mutley! :thumb

Thanks for taking the time to entertain us in such an amusing style - can't wait for the next sequel... :popcorn

Day 6

Feeling far more human and after a good breakfast we began to wonder where the others were. We couldn't contact anyone on the mobiles and we were getting a little anxious. Ian took us on a tour of the town to keep us happy and it included the red light souk which was open for business at 09.00 hrs. We made our excuses and left :D

Back at the hotel we decided we'd go and ride Todra gorge to see where the others were. Neil made some new friends on the way:

111647850-M.jpg

The roads really were out as well :eek:

111647870-M.jpg

We made it to the top and the scenery was great

111647799-M.jpg

111647782-M.jpg

Then we rode back down again for some lunch. Finally we heard from the others and we all headed for the hotel.

We were supposed to have been going to Zagora today off road. The road route was 250 miles but it's much shorter by piste. Unfortunately we'd been advised that the GS's were unlikely to make the first bit and would have to go round. Tim and Rick turned up and set off for the piste. Andy decided he wouldn't keep up and waited for the Landy. The GS's wouldn't make it by road before dark so we elected to stay at the hotel overnight. The Landy turned up and we loaded it up with two bikes and all the kit and it set off:

111647818-M.jpg

Tim and Rick eventually made it to Zagora around 20.30 hrs having had to ride down out of the mountains in the dark. Bill got to the hotel around midnight.

Day 7

While the others headed out into the desert we had a 250 mile ride to cover. Doesn't sound much but then you haven't seen the roads :eek:

111653228-M.jpg

The Valley of the Draa is one of the most picturesque places you could ride a bike, and after the endless curves of the mountain passes it was a brilliant ride

111653243-M.jpg

Riding into Zagora was just like being in a Western only with 4WD's and bikes instead of horses and wagons. Steptoe had decided to stay with us and was on the back of Ian's 1100 which didn't seem to slow him down at all :D

111653255-M.jpg

We bumped into the guy who fixes Bills Landy evry time he comes down here and were invited for tea. It's a superb place with hard core off roaders everywhere, there was a real buzz about the place. good tea too :thumb

111653427-M.jpg

Then it was off to Tim's favourite hotel for a decent meal and some cold ones :beer:

Day 8

We ride out of Zagora and head for the off road pistes we should have ridden two days ago. On the flat things are much easier than in the mountains and my confidence is much higher now.

111657272-M.jpg

Time for some posing I feel

111657261-M.jpg

but just when you think you're good the locals always trump you :D

111657290-M.jpg

Ian and Steptoe head back to the road and Neil and I go for it a bit more. Even when I suggested we might have bitten off more than we could chew Neil was confident in our abilities - the fool :D

111657304-M.jpg

After lunch another long road blast over some awesome roads and through some great scenery :thumb

111657314-M.jpg

Everyone made the rendezvous at the hotel although Gareth's Husaberg had died in the desert and Andy's TTR 250 expired as it got back to the road :clap

111657333-M.jpg

Day 9

In some ways I can't believe it's the last day, but in others it seems like I've been away for weeks. There was nothing to be sad about with the last day though. What a road we had to play on - the Tizi 'n Tess pass I believe it's called. Bloody fantastic is what I say it is. Forget yer Alpine passes, this is THE ONE.

111660170-M.jpg

I laughed like a drain all the way to the top. Gareth, who was on the back, screamed a lot :D :D :D :D

111660195-M.jpg

Then we played all the back down again :bounce1

111660219-M.jpg

and when we stopped there were things like this to see :clap

111660240-M.jpg

:bow

Big Thank You

I've got to say a huge thank you to Bill and the team at Moto-Morrocco. They were faced with some really tough curve balls such as the rain wrecking the pistes and still managed to end up keeping everyone happy despite the differing bikes and off road abilities :clap :bow

The trailie riders want to thank Tim for the adventure and Neil and I want to thank Ian for his programme too. I think everyone went away grinning and that's what it's all about.

111660282-M.jpg

Cheers :beerjug:

Motorway

That road is definitely a motorway, but great thread Muttely

Mutley1150 said:
Back on the trail we wind our way down the valley. Suddenly there's Tim again. He says 'You may want to turn off your ABS for this bit. Take it easy and let the bike run', of course I didn't realise he was the King of Understatement :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thank's for the great posts Mutters. I had a great time with a great bunch of Guys :thumb .
Morrocco's fantastic :cool:

Great thread Muttley. :thumb
Bloody good pics as well.
You off again this year?
Has the bug bit you now? you off roading "god" :D

Sue Says

Sue looking over my shoulder says it looks ****y scary too :D A Great report which has got us well revved up for our visit in January.................. Well done Howard :thumb and you in such company .Timolgra :cool: , MrIfan ;) , Fanum :eek: and the one and only Steptoe :confused: (where are the s/s 1200 bolts kits :rolleyes: )

Well done mutters so when are you going again i have been round Morroc twice on my 1150gsa and carnt wait to go again spring next year. :thumb

Mutley1150 said:
Bill and Steptoe had set off in the Landy to 'rescue' Gareth but Todra gorge was closed and they were having a tough time getting there.

Tough isn't quite the word.

Six and half hours to cover 30 miles. In the dark freezing mountains, digging the land rover out of mud, and building ramps up out of rocks, all at a height of 6000ft . And the last kilometer on foot through flooded frosty fields and across a flood swollen river. Finally arriving at 1130PM, at a cold hostel that had had the electricity cut off due to the worst flooding in 30 years.

Seemed a nightmare at the time. Now feels amazing to have done it. A real genuine adventure. :thumb

We were the first vehicle to get through that road to the village in 14 days, since the flood hit. :clap

Proff said:
Great thread Muttley. :thumb
Bloody good pics as well.
You off again this year?
Has the bug bit you now? you off roading "god" :D

I can't take credit for all the pics - we all got a DVD from Bill with everyone elses' pictures on - a great idea I must say :clap

I shan't be off again this year but I am planning another trip next year. Don't quite know where though - Iceland sounds like a laugh :D :cool:

I loved the whole adventure but the best bit for me was arriving home. I haven't got it in me to be a world traveller, but I don't mind the short bursts. I think Bill has got the beginnings of a great business there getting other people's bikes to far flung places so they can fly in for a week or ten days :thumb

Excellent write up and photo's and I must admit that I wouldn't be able to do that on a bike, I like my offroading on 4 wheels... you want a nice winch, ground anchor and bridging waffles. If you don't want an electric winch due to expense, then I can whole heartedly recommend a tirfor style hand winch. It's a lot of hard work but you can get oujt of trouble forwards or backwards.

If you need an offroad driver, I could be your man :D

James Burton said:
Pleased your back safe mate :thumb

Did you loose much weight then :mmmm

Sadly not that you'd notice :( and now I'm back I've binged on cake and chocolate so all the hard work is undone :nenau never mind I'm a happy bunny :D

Back
Top Bottom