Will you change your final drive oil?

Have you changed your fd oil on your 12GS?

• Yes

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • no

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • yes I`m going to

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • no, I`ve no intention of

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters
Changed mine at 1000 miles. and the gearbox oil.
Will change every time I change the gearbox oil.
Takes less than an hour so why not.
Only problem is getting the exact amount in - have now purchased a graduated syringe.

Yes my 05 bike has done 6000 miles like to fiddle and twiddle with the bike so why not? :D

Did mine at 5,000 miles - easy enough to do - so why not.

Will probually not do enough miles inside warrenty for the FD to fail so anything I can do to prolong it's life has to be a good thing :)

Did mine recently...

Changed mine at 5000 miles after reading the brilliant explanation on here (with pics - thank you very much again)...
Was straightforward enough, and glad I did (as above) there probably wont be enough miles for the diff to fail INSIDE the warranty period, so preventative mainainence is no bad thing. :thumb

I checked the colour of my oil by undoing the plug a little - still lovely and golden. On that basis, I was going to leave well enough alone.

However, having seen the informative thread on here, and always looking for something to do on a wet winter weekend, I may just give it a go. Call me sad, call it unnecessary, but I find a great way to spend a few hours on an otherwise boring day is change all the oils - engine, gearbok and (now) final drive.

BMW changing their service routine does make me wonder whether they simply made a mistake before.

Robin.

I checked the colour of my oil by undoing the plug a little - still lovely and golden. On that basis, I was going to leave well enough alone.

However, having seen the informative thread on here, and always looking for something to do on a wet winter weekend, I may just give it a go. Call me sad, call it unnecessary, but I find a great way to spend a few hours on an otherwise boring day is change all the oils - engine, gearbok and (now) final drive.

BMW changing their service routine does make me wonder whether they simply made a mistake before.

Robin.

Like Robin......
With 8500 miles on the bike,the rear end oil was dumped,cloudy in appearance,some fuzz on the sensor but all in all, no chunks.

Have been folloing this thread with great interest. Seems sensible to me to change the final drive oil. Bike (54 1200) will be coming up to the 18,000 mile service and as I'm not the world's greatest mechanic I thought to get the dealer to do this change when being serviced. Anyone care to venture a guess as to what would be a reasonable charge for them to make?

2007 spec not done at first service

I suppose I will have to, as I have noticed that the dealer did not do it at first service. And yes it is a 2007 spec bike. For the cost of the 100 mile round trip to the dealer i may as well do it myself. Will be ringing them up and getting a discount off the next service. The first ( free ) service only cost me £130 + so I cant really complain......... can I ????

Well I shall be changing mine after reading all the threads on the subject,two questions if i may has anyone changed the FD oil on a none ABS model? With out me having to go looking tonight i do not have ABS so is there some kind of blanking plate where the speed sensor should be. :eek:
ed4554 where do i purchase the magnetic plug from and i gather its for the FD hole at the rear? :confused:
Thanks,MD

Back
Top Bottom