how to break your tyre bead at home ?

(RIP) Kaister

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone got any good ideas ?

i haven't got a bead breaker of any kind and its a Sunday.

i've got a car though..

put the wheel in the car

drop it off at the tyre shop on monday

Plank of wood resting end-on to the tyre, drive onto it slowly with car.

You can break the bead with the heels of a strong pair of boots though.

Big G cramp works so I've heard.

220007_l.jpg

Well after a bit of head scratching i managed it ok.

i nearly gave up and watched the Ashes, after all it was a lovely warm day - too warm for fking about in the garage trying to mend a motorbike.
But it had to be done - i've been putting it off for weeks and its used all the tread up on the rear - and i mean all. ;)

So i used our trusty Pajero as the force required to break the bead.

I ummed and aaahed a bit deciding which jack to use - but settled on the car type scissor jack - its quick and above all its light and has a large range of movement.

If you're out in the bush - or morocco or whenever and you need to change a tyre - make sure the 4x4 your'e flagging down has a decent bull-bar on the front. Ours has an aftermarket front bumper replacement - its got a nice flat area underneath it.

117259523-L.jpg

117259557-L.jpg

no rims were harmed in the process - use a plastic bottle cut up as a rim protector
117259591-L.jpg

Success!! - use a bit of WD-40 to help the rim seal break and then slide down the rim. I found the best way was to sit and bounce on the bumper to help it break.
117259609-L.jpg

the red hammer was a reaction point to stop the wheel from trying to flip up
117259635-L-1.jpg

117259666-L-1.jpg

so there we are - turn it over - pop the other bead off, BMW tyre levers to get the tyre completely off. Leave the new ytyre warming and softening in the sun.
Coat the new tyre with cheapo hair conditioner and pop it on.
Use a ratchet strap around the tyre to make sure the tyre seals properley when you use a small portable compresser to inflate it.

My only worry now is if i need to ask Tarka what pressure to inflate it to. :bounce1

Another way of breaking the bead is to get another bike with rider and use the side stand, ie stand down and then lower the bike stand onto the bead with the weight of the bike the bead will release.

Another way of breaking the bead is to get another bike with rider and use the side stand, ie stand down and then lower the bike stand onto the bead with the weight of the bike the bead will release.

I know Ozzies are slow, but he's had nearly 4 years to do it..Even Phil has probably managed it by now :D

PS you're right though, that is a useful technique when you're out on the road and there's not much as an alternative :)

Use small tyre levers, it's just a matter of technique..easy peasy:thumb

A bead buddy is very handy as well, not sure of you can use it on an 1150 but it is worth it's weight in gold for thumpers.

beadbuddy1.jpg

While on holiday staying at a camnpsite abroad I woke to find a puncture! having nothing to break the bead despite all sorts of attempts a kind person let me use his caravan leg. Just a small tip if you find yourself in the same position I was. Just put in on the floor, bit of wood and wound down the leg and it worked a treat :thumb2

was looking at the post dates too, you beat me to it. very amusing!!! :D

I know Ozzies are slow, but he's had nearly 4 years to do it..Even Phil has probably managed it by now :D

PS you're right though, that is a useful technique when you're out on the road and there's not much as an alternative :)

Bought this today to do mine:

Quick clamp

Works very well - up to 250kg of force (depending on your spinach intake) and deep enough to reach the rim over my 150/70 rear tyre.

Back
Top Bottom