New rear pads - down to canvas after 2000 miles!

JohnC

Reaction score
I'm shocked. I replaced the rear pads at just under 5000 miles from new. I cleaned and greased all the pins and the sliders, they were like new so deff not sticking. Now with only just over 7500 miles on the clock they are down to the backing. Linked brakes and BM pads are a waste of space :spitfire

A tip told to me by a very helpful mechanic in Motorrad Central, Dalkeith:

Clean the accumulated brake dust out of the holes in the rear disc at regular intervals. Failure to do so will result in significantly reduced rear pad life.

Merry Christmas.....:)

I'm shocked. I replaced the rear pads at just under 5000 miles from new. Now with only just over 7500 miles on the clock they are down to the backing. Linked brakes and BM pads are a waste of space :spitfire

There's something wrong with your brakes or your braking technique if you're only getting 5000 or fewer miles from a set of pads.

Are you sure you're not dragging the rear brake with your toe resting on the lever?

I've just replaced all my brake pads at 32,000 miles, and they still had some way to go. And that's on the heavier, butcher, and altogether meaner 1150!

Nope I'm not dragging the brake, I hardly ever use it (as it's practically useless) and it's miles away from my foot. I have read Steptoes tip re the holes and have done this twice. The rear wheel spins easily and always has done, as I check the tyres every day. I had an 1100 before and the rears were fine for 7000 miles or more. I'm not a huge late or heavy braker either but I do ride in stop start traffic every day. No, something is either amiss with the rear pad compound or the linked brake as even 5000 miles from new is a joke. I've pm'd Steptoe and will try some after market pads.

You did well. Mine were back to the plates at 4,500. The replacement EBC organic pads are looking pretty worn with 5,000 on them. Stop start town work does them in. I think the linked brake system applies too much rear brake as the fronts look new with 9,500 miles on them.

Hmm, perhaps I'm not far wrong in my opinion.

It seem quite a common problem with the 1200 but very variable.

I changed my OE rear pads at 12000 miles and am now at 22000 miles with plenty of life left in the replacements (EBC Organic).

I wonder if the brakes are very sensitive to riding style/type of riding :nenau

I mainly use the bike on longish runs with not a lot of stop start work. I am also an IAM riding god who through perfect observation, anticipation and forward planning hardly ever uses the brakes ;)

Andres

I am also an IAM riding god who through perfect observation, anticipation and forward planning hardly ever uses the brakes ;)

Wuss.....:rolleyes: The 1200 backs in very nicely with a judicious application of the rear brake.

;)

It seem quite a common problem with the 1200 but very variable.

I changed my OE rear pads at 12000 miles and am now at 22000 miles with plenty of life left in the replacements (EBC Organic).

I wonder if the brakes are very sensitive to riding style/type of riding :nenau

I mainly use the bike on longish runs with not a lot of stop start work. I am also an IAM riding god who through perfect observation, anticipation and forward planning hardly ever uses the brakes ;)

Andres

Quite possibly. FWIW my daily commute is 45 miles each way, 20 miles (can be fast) B road covered in farm sh!te and general road muck, then 20 miles of outer and inner city, with a fair bit of filtering, plus five miles M way. I hit about 15 sets of traffic lights each way as well, usually being stopped by about 10 sets :(

Wow 2000 miles.....:eek:

Mine were toasted at 4,500. All I could get at short notice were some EBC sinthered pads. (Not recommended I heard).

Still after a further 2,000 they seem fine and have made a very good job of removing the score marks on the disc left by the lack of meat left on the old BMW pads ;)

I guess high disc wear will be the end result.
Anyone care to guess on average disc life for a 1200?

I'm shocked. I replaced the rear pads at just under 5000 miles from new. I cleaned and greased all the pins and the sliders, they were like new so deff not sticking. Now with only just over 7500 miles on the clock they are down to the backing. Linked brakes and BM pads are a waste of space :spitfire
The original equipment pads have a wear indicator in the form of a 'blind' hole in the back of the pad, when the pads wear to approx 1.5 - 2mm, the 'hole' opens to allow the disc to show through.

There's something wrong with your brakes or your braking technique if you're only getting 5000 or fewer miles from a set of pads.

Are you sure you're not dragging the rear brake with your toe resting on the lever?

I've just replaced all my brake pads at 32,000 miles, and they still had some way to go. And that's on the heavier, butcher, and altogether meaner 1150!

I agree Droopy, the 1150Adv is indeed a butcher's bike:thumb

My BMW rear pads lasted 5,000 miles as well.:nenau

I bought after market ones, EBC. It looks that they should around 9,000 miles.

These are the BMW ones after 5,000 miles.:eek:

Attachments

• pads5.jpg
    pads5.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,245
Try burnishing them when they are new in the caliper. Stick em in and do a number of really hard stops to heat them up (I mean 20 plus full speed to zero on the one brake). I have had similar wear issues on other rear brakes simply because they do not get hot enough to temper the pads.

LC

I have had poor life from the BMW rear pads on both my old 1150 and the current 1200 (typically 5-6000 miles in London conditions). The answer is aftermarket pads. The BMW front pads however last very well.

Strange, this rear pad usage. I've got an 1150Adv and I changed the pads at 30,000miles - not that they REALLY needed to be changed, just felt they'd done enough :rolleyes: They were the original BMW ones, and fairly sensibley that's what I've put back...

Everyone's style is different. Me,I get fantastic life out of pads.
Others...more that usual. Depends on riding style and conditions.

Better a soft pad than a hard pad.
Soft pads = regular replacement and dusty wheels.... cheap
Hard pads = "rotor life deminish"..$$$$$:eek:

The original equipment pads have a wear indicator in the form of a 'blind' hole in the back of the pad, when the pads wear to approx 1.5 - 2mm, the 'hole' opens to allow the disc to show through.

You can tell just by looking at the pad locators on the pin far easier imo, but yes this is a feature of the pads.

Back
Top Bottom