Aoutocom Config

Andy Higgins

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thinking of the best way to install autocom on the GSA, looking to connect it to Navigator, Tranciever, possibly iPod and Mobile Phone. Was thinking about tank bag but don't always want to take a tank bag out with me.

Have thought about connecting autocom permenantly under seat connected to sat nav but not sure how best to connect and stow the rest??

Just wandering what you guys have tried, tested and found to work.

Hi guys,

Thinking of the best way to install autocom on the GSA, looking to connect it to Navigator, Tranciever, possibly iPod and Mobile Phone. Was thinking about tank bag but don't always want to take a tank bag out with me.

Have thought about connecting autocom permenantly under seat connected to sat nav but not sure how best to connect and stow the rest??

Just wandering what you guys have tried, tested and found to work.
do you use a top box? I was in the same boat. I've got my Intaride EVO under the seat, with MP3 and phone wires running into bottom of top box. GPS wire goes to front of bike. Just a thought.

Andy, due to the lack of room on your bike, all you will be able to fit on your bike would be the main control unit, the GPS interface lead would be hard wired and left on the bike tucked or fitted out of the way. Your phone, music and transceiver would have to live in a jacket pockets or into a tank bag etc.

HTH

Rich @ Autocom

Andy,

Most of it will fit under the seat, no problem, but you will have to lose the tool roll (no great loss, perhaps).

I bundled the Autocom and Kenwood radio together and put them where the tool roll sat (removed the tray) with just a lead to run up to my tankbag for my Ipod. My navigation device sits on the bar that supports the windshield, powered from the dedicated spur (behind the headstock) with just a lead run back (under thge tank) to the Autocom. I bought the Autocom power lead for the radio as well, saves remembering to recharge the transceiver battery.

My Ipod I can power / recharge along with my phone / camera via an I-go. The I-go I power from an auxiliary power socket on the front fairing. The I-go sits in my tankbag as well.

The radio (TK-3201) has got soaking wet (as has the Autocom) several times and is covered with road crap. Not failed (touch wood) in over 35,000 miles. I take it all out from time to time for a spring clean but mostly it just sits there.

All very neat. No mass of wires.

You can also put the Autocom beind the battery, where the handbook would normaly live. BumW even give you a handy rubber band to hold it in.

Loads of pictures on this site and elsewhere, showing how to do it. I simply copied them.

Is there a way of doing this without having cables everywhere?

If you are meaning Bluetooth no, the idea is way too far off target. the problems you or we have to over come is battery life, cost and the main drawback is that you can only pair with one device at a time so you would not be able to run pillion, music, phone and B2B all at the same time. Who knows when the technology will be ready to run everything at once but I can not see it happening for a very long time.

To loose cable you could run your phone via BT to save one lead but there will always be lead to your helmet, music and B2B etc.

Rich

Following are a few pictures of my Autocom fitting.
I must state now that the idea was not mine it came from a mate (Archie) who also has a 1200GS, originally it was fitted in the tool tray but I didnt like it there as I wanted to retain the space for a U lock.

It involves a bit of modification to the seat base but very simple really, you have to do away with the front seat crossbar and make a couple of top hat sections.

The Autocom is mounted to an aluminium plate which is screwed into the back of the air box where the little bracket for the handbook used to live

When this is all in place there is still room for a Centech fuse panel if you want to go that route.

Seat bar modification
DSC00999.jpg

Detail of top hat section
DSC01004.jpg

View of Autocom
DSC00995.jpg

View L/H side
DSC00997.jpg

View R/H side
DSC00998.jpg

I also added this little box which houses an on off switch to kill the power when the autocom and GPS is not in use, the power comes from the front side light
DSC00996.jpg

View from riders seat of Garmin SP3
DSC00991.jpg

Ipod and phone are housed in a small Givi tank bag which has been modified to fix to the fuel filler cap with a couple of tenax fasteners
DSC00990.jpg

Rider jack plug
DSC01005.jpg

Passenger jack plug tucked away just unclip and poke through between seats when required.
DSC00994.jpg

And finally to keep the Autocom waterproof a piece of inner tube cut to length and folded over.
DSC00992.jpg

I hope that this is of some use, it works for me.

Thanks to Archie for the idea.

Bob

Thanks guys for your help, as always very informative! I have a small 4L oxford tank bag which i use at the moment on my CB500, i might try and put ipod and phone in there and try and tuck Autocom and Radio away somewhere under seat!!??

I do not think i'll be using ipod, phone or radio on every ride but when i do, would like to keep exposed cables to a minimum.

Is it possible to have one cable leaving Autocom into tank bag and then some kind of adapter/junction box/y lead to connect more than one device into one aux socket?

do you guys find that ones you have set up the Autocom you can leave it alone and forget about it or do you need to fiddle with the volume controls often?

As always all help appreciated!!

Adaptors or Y leads unfortunately not, each lead will need to be plugged in seperately.

As for adjustments, your first copule of rides might be needed to set your VOX level ok and if you have got any volume controls with not knowing which system of ours you are running these might need to be tweeked etc.

Rich @ Autocom

Cheers Rich, will be getting the SuperPro AVi so i can not worry about radio batteries. Might forget about using iPod and Phone for a while and only worry about GPS and radio.

Just got a new helmet, the Shoei Multitech, looks like the inside is well suited to intercom systems. Do you install systems or supply only>

No worries mate, Super Pro would be a good choice.

As for fitting we can do yeh but I would suggest getting in contact with Chainspeed who is ran by Sam who used to work for us and knows his stuff inside out. He can supply you direct and would save you a longer ride to us. Sams email address is info@chainspeed.co.uk or website www.chainspeed.co.uk

Cheers

Rich

Great will investigate that avenue. My local BMW dealer who i'm buying the GSA from are also stockists and said they would install, just not sure how much trouble they will go to install and test correctly once i hand over money for bike.

I'm sure i'm just being a bit paranoid, just want it done properly that's all. Any feedback on BMW installation?

Trebor

What size Tenax fasteners did you use and wht type of fitting

Thanks

Hi Talaris,

As far as I know Tenax fasteners only come in one size.

The problem is that the male part is on a 2ba thread IE the bit that you screw into the filler cap in place of the 5mm torx screw.

I got a guy at work to turn me a couple on the lathe with a 5mm thread on, or you could drll and tap a standard 5mm screw 2ba.

I will take a couple more pictures and post them later in the week for you to have a look at.

Bob

... As an alternate to a tank-bag I keep my phone and an MP-3 player with a couple of AAA spare batteries in a Lowe-Pro D-Res 8S* digital camera pouch (Currys etc). The pouch velcro's to the screen mounting bar, nestled above the speedo to the left of the rev-counter.

... The Autocom controller is in the tool tray, with the tool roll, an EDZ windproof shirt, pillion lead and a couple of spare bulbs. I threaded the phone and music leads to the instrument cluster, underneath the left side panel without too much difficulty (an extra 10cm of cable would have helped, it is a bit tight) and used a couple of wire-ties in places.

... Headset lead pops out by my left nut in the traditional fashion.

... The pouch will fit in a pocket, inside your lid, or velcro to your belt, when strolling round Sainsbury's. It was the most minimalist solution I considered, it does not require you to always have a top-box, tank-bag or any other luggage on board.

... Used for a year, no failures, no complaints.

* Not waterproof, but pop your goodies in a poly sarnie bag and Robert's your father's brother. Chose this model because it has a 'double velcro' fastening strap and it just fits.

Back
Top Bottom