Extended warranties...

FATBOY

Anyone recommend a good/cheap one? Mine runs out 3/1/07, on a 2004 GS1200. Had no real bother since the fuel pump thingy went.:rolleyes:
So;
Is it Pidcocks who do a £250 one?

Anyone tried the "off BMW" products? Link~ www.warrantyworks.co.uk

Or should I just trade in for another, ie, what's improved reliability on the new version?:nenau

Ta, Phil.

Yes it is pidcocks, but others must do it :confused: you will need £3'000 + to change & thats a lot of repairs .
I have an 05 & plan on 5/6 years till i look @ changing.:D

you will need £3'000 + to change & thats a lot of repairs .
:D

False logic because the 2007 bike will still be worth much more than the 2004 bike when he comes to sell it, so he gets most of the extra back

Just received a letter from BMW telling me that the two-year warranty is up at the end of January on the R1200GS. They wanted over £650 to extend it:eek:

Pity I sold it on Friday.....

Bikeless for the moment and all the dealers are shut - bugger

False logic because the 2007 bike will still be worth much more than the 2004 bike when he comes to sell it, so he gets most of the extra back

Interesting perspective. I like the way you think. But I'm already half convinced to buy another WITHOUT the ABS anyway...

Still not convinced :) will change in 5/6 years by which time it will have paid for it's self .
Also look forward to doing my own servicing :D

There seems to be a real fear of having a bike with no warranty.
I understand that but im not going to pay a minimum of 3500 for peace of mind or 650 for an extra years peace of mind

mines done nearly 20,000 miles. Im running it till it drops or when I want to change it for something else.

I certainly wont be paying 3500 or more to have the same bike in me shed..........

I'm having the same thought as mine will be due around spring. I think I'll stick with mine, as I only do small mileages. The depreciation is always biggest in the first couple of years etc etc.

The only thing I would like however, is to be able to get it on the centre stand. I struggle like mad on my '05, and yet I can put an '06 GSA on the centre stand with relative ease. But, I really don't think that alone justifies the change. I don't fancy any other bike, and I don't think I want anything as big as the GSA (might have to test one to find out though :rolleyes: ).

For the time being I'm thinking the money I save on not buying new, can be used to buy engine and tank bars, and a nice set of lights... and a new battery ;)

My Dilema!

This is my second GS.. The first one being one of those "Friday" Bikes...

I've covered bout 20k on this one.. (which is classed as high mileage for year - 6/7k being average for age according to dealer) ..

The warranty is up in July/Aug 07.. However... The following pics show the state of play with it at the moment!!... bearing in mind that its garaged.

Apart from the "expected" front cover issue.. which is in a bit of a state now.... The following faults are also present..

1. Blistering paint on main frame - just above rear footrest metalwork.

2. Tell tale signs of rear seal oil leak.

3. Blistering paintwork on engine - rear left side

4. Cracked/blistered paintwork on both cylinder head covers

5. Tell tale oil leak on rear wheel hub

Pics to follow........

When/after the warranty work has been done... how long before it needs further work?

I've also had a couple of engine related faults - (both coils, Lambda? sensor etc.) and 2 front discs - that required returning it to the dealer (200 mile round trip each time) for new parts.

So do I ....

1. Have warranty work done.. and keep finger crossed?

2. Part x for another... (pay the difference - get shinny new) leave them to worry about the warranty work and hope new is better?

3. Have warranty done... then px/sell and go for another make/model/japanese?

I must admit.. that whilst I really do like the bike... my confidence in its (BMWs) durability is wearing rather thin!??!

Frame

Blistering!

Attachments

• DSC00310.JPG
    DSC00310.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 255
Left side

Left side rear!

Attachments

• DSC00314.JPG
    DSC00314.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 260
Heads

Boths covers!

Attachments

• DSC00315.JPG
    DSC00315.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 259
Rear Wheel

Tell tale oil seapage/leak!!

Attachments

• DSC00319.JPG
    DSC00319.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 256
Beemers purchased in the States have a 3 year warrantee, here two...... :nenau

Thought you were still posting pics Stig so I moved the post....:beerjug:

They use salt in the Northern States......:nenau

Corrosion Perspective

Guys, guys, I had a brand new Triumph and was told "They all corrode a little coz you ride them in the wet!", Triumph wouldn't entertain a claim.:(
I had a six month old Fazer 600 in a garage over winter that rotted before your very eyes (Yamaha dealer laughed when I asked about it being covered under warranty!):spitfire
I test rode a Honda Pan, fancied that unbreakable build quality.. Only bike Ive ever ridden that pulled to one side, I went over a raised man hole cover and the bloody wing mirror fell off and finally it was covered in corrosion on the rear drive, front forks and brake mounts!! (It was 14 months old!!).:eek:
Sadly (or happily if your a rainbow warrior) non toxic paints are the de-rigeur on bikes and cars so they do not last as well.
Be thankfull they fix corrosion on warranty (even them huge crevices shown on the frame pics!) and ride em!!!:beerjug:

Hi guys and gals - it's my first "real" post this, so go easy on me :p

Had my invitation from BMW financial services today to renew the warranty, for the princely sum of £659. Seems there really is a fear of having a bike outside of warranty, cos for a minute or 2 I actually considered going for it.

Then I woke up and saw sense - and have to confess that my attitude is now the same as redcastle's; keep the thing until it dies, and stuff the warranty! Trouble is, with the way 1200GS's seem to be built, that my be sooner rather than later :(

Did occur to me though....is £659 standard for an extended beemer warranty - or is it so expensive because it's a 1200GS?

Back
Top Bottom