Bloody Looney rides Canada coast to coast in Winter!

Geordietraveller

Reaction score
Hey guys, a great pal of ours (Paul Mondor) that we met in Victoria, BC over a year ago is attempting the almost impossible. He's riding from the most Westerly coast of Canada (that's Vancouver Island) to the most Eastlerly (St. Johns, Newfoundland).

Now that might sound like a nice ride out, some beauftiful scenery, chance to 'get away from it all' - except that he's doing in NOW, when temperatures regularly get to minus 30 and sometimes even minus 60 :eek: :eek: :eek: plus he is NOT using any electric heated clothing. Think about that next time you're complaining of the cold at zero degrees! :eek

I must admit that he is FRENCH Canadian so he isn't like 'normal' people ;) but that shouldn't detract from the incredible challenge he is facing. Nobody has ever successfully completed this on a solo bike before (for obvious reasons) so it will be a new record if he makes it.

Paul is a great bloke (for a frog:D ) and for him to achieve this would be amazing - I'm just sorry I couldn't get the time off work to go with him :p :mmmm

You can follow his adventure here -
Here

and also over on ADVrider - Here

Go for it mate! :bow :clap :bow

SiFi :beerjug:

Hats off to him for living his dream, and a fantastic challenge too :thumb :bow

I don't quite understand why he'd do it without any heated clothing though.....that seems....er, a little irresponsible and more than a little silly TBH :nenau

Good luck to him though.....I'll bookmark those pages and follow his progress with interest :)

Hats off to him for living his dream, and a fantastic challenge too :thumb :bow

I don't quite understand why he'd do it without any heated clothing though.....that seems....er, a little irresponsible and more than a little silly TBH :nenau

Good luck to him though.....I'll bookmark those pages and follow his progress with interest :)

Cheers Fanum,

er, did I mention he was French Canadian? :D He did try to tell me why he wasn't taking heated clothing (something about the drain on the battery or his super dooper suit or his abnormally warm body temperature) but he has certainly done his research so I don't think for a second he's just being foolhardy.

If anyone can do it, I'm sure he can - Hats off to him for sure!

Si

I seem to remember that a few years ago, Chris McGaskill (Baldy, owner of Advrider) was going to do the trip to Prudhoe bay Alaska in the winter......may well have been with his son but I'm not sure......I do remember the write ups and technical planning though.....

There was a some serious discussion about running super-thin oils, special compound tyres and all sorts of things that you might not have thought of....

Interesting stuff :thumb

some nice pics

121062859-M.jpg

There was a picture of him (Paul Mondorin) wednesday morning's newspaper. He was somewhere in Ontario. It looked like he was on Dakar. After see the picture on ADV Rider, he is on a Dakar.

I couldn't see doing it with heated clothing as well. He must have a suit made by NASA to keep himself warm. I read that he was in the navy and he has an Arctic suit. Well it sounds warm.

I couldn't see doing it with heated clothing as well. He must have a suit made by NASA to keep himself warm. I read that he was in the navy and he has an Arctic suit. Well it sounds warm.

He is using an Aerostitch. Plus he is a big fella so has lots of natural insulation (fat) to keep him warm. Wearing Sorel Arctic boots to keep his tootsies warm. The temps this winter in Canada are at an all time high. It was 40-60 degrees F in Toronto and parts of eastern Canada a few days ago. If it does get really cold he does have a snowmobile suite in his bag for backup.
The 650 Dakar does have heated grips and he is using Hippo Hands.
Now that he is near the Center of the Universe for Canada (Toronto) he should be getting some more media coverage for his 15 minutes of fame. :beerjug:

He is using an Aerostitch. Plus he is a big fella so has lots of natural insulation (fat) to keep him warm. Wearing Sorel Arctic boots to keep his tootsies warm. The temps this winter in Canada are at an all time high. It was 40-60 degrees F in Toronto and parts of eastern Canada a few days ago. If it does get really cold he does have a snowmobile suite in his bag for backup.
The 650 Dakar does have heated grips and he is using Hippo Hands.
Now that he is near the Center of the Universe for Canada (Toronto) he should be getting some more media coverage for his 15 minutes of fame. :beerjug:

There was a picture of him (Paul Mondorin) wednesday morning's newspaper. He was somewhere in Ontario. It looked like he was on Dakar. After see the picture on ADV Rider, he is on a Dakar.

I meant to say: I couldn't see doing it without heated clothing as well.

I have been speaking to my Sister in Toronto. No snow there and warm. They can't use their Ski-doo. Well they can sent it to me.

Anyways, all the best to him on his trip.:thumb

Forecast for Kingston (other end of Lake Ontario to Toronto) is -20degC this morning. I was there over Christmas, and it was up to +11degC - Certainly weird weather!

He made it!! Paul Mondor has arrived safely at Cape Spear having completed a West-East Coast to Coast across Canada in January aboard his trusty 650 Dakar - what an amazing ride!!

Congratulations Paul!!

:bow :bow :bow

Nice one Paul - well done mate! :clap :clap :clap

:wave

If you want a REAL challenge next keep going and I'll take you drinking round the Toon in yer shirtsleeves! :thumb

Congrats! :beerjug:

Might be back over to celebrate with you one day...

SiFi:drinkinpa

This is absolutely unbelievable, I have no idea how anybody can do this!

Living in Southern Ontario, I know how bad the weather can be (and that's the well serviced/warm/mild part)!

There is a character in Viz, wo carries his gonads around in a wheelbarrow, I'm not sure what Paul must use, but I'm surprised he can get them on a GS650!

The long way round pails into insignificance!

Well done Paul, and you deserve 100x the praise you will get!

Back
Top Bottom