spain/lisbon/dakar

Ash

Oh Yes....
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
hi people.
just back from sunny 2000 mile trip to lisbon,and not one drop of rain in 12 days some mist in the spanish mountains but sunny and warm with great roads.no need to use the toll roads as i found the main roads fine. i just set the garmin to no toll roads and away we went.spain is easy to ride in with a varied landscape and cheaper fuel than portugal.i used f1 hotels when possible and ibiss when no f1's available, £23.00 for f1 and £38.00 for ibiss and the average fill up was £11.00 at around 150/170 miles.i used the acciona ferry from p/mouth -bilboa £249.00 rtn incl VIP cabin.one word of warning ozzy had his left hand footrest snapped of, we think it was by a crew member adding another strap to his 5 week old gs1200adv.no doubt he'll post a thread about it when he gets back.i found the ferry first class as i strapped my own bike down.if you've ever thought about touring spain give it ago i found the people first class and never had any reason to fill insecure about my bike or myself and when i needed help the locals were willing to help as im semi disabbled there was allways help available and i dont speak spanish. it was my first tour on my gs1100 and i loved it. i have higher bars/lower foot pegs/tt stand plate/criuse control/and bmw pannier bags which all help make it easier for me to ride.i found it easy to ride between fill ups at around the 150 mile mark at around 70/90 mph the roads were nice quiet and traffic free.i only wish i could of gone to marroco but it was better for me to stay within the eec for medical reasons.if i can do it anyone can.
happy new year to you all.
very sad news about sherpa.my best wishes to his family at this sad time.
im lucky i servived my bad accident and continue to ride[at the moment].

glad you enjoyed spain its a first class country i moved here 4 years ago and love it i was in Gibralter last week and saw a 1200gsa coming in as i was going out i wonder was it your m8

Welcome back, sounds a great trip, where's the piccies then?????

Shep

im going to have a go at resizing tomorow

Aye, its probably time you lost some weight, but what about the pics ;)

I'm just dreaming of Norway at the moment but its too bloomin' cold and wet to be wizzing around there at this time of the year.
Perhaps I should head south...

Hi ash

Nice to see you had a good time.
We are nor so bad ;)
It is a nice place with incredible places to get lost, incredible roads and a very special atmosphere.
Good to know that Britons are evacuating the Costa del Sol and you are discovering the "Real Spain" ;)
Althought It is a shame that we are becoming to "Europeans".
Anyway, homesick....

Saludos.

Norway

Hey Greencat!
Try the Newcastle ferry to Norway then flex fare it back from Gothenburg in Sweden. The wife and I spent a fortnight Holland, Denmark Sweden and north to the border. By the time we'd ridden from Calais we were running short on time. Wild camping is excellent the further north you go. As are the offical govt run hostels.

I can highly recommend the Swedish backroads theyre excellent.
So pretty, quick and in good nick.:beerjug:
Go early as by August it was beginning to get cold again.
hope to see you out on the A4. I work in Theale. Mines Black.

Cheers Rowan...following some more planning I am now planning to go clockwise Newcastle, Bergen and then back via Denmark...this way I max out the time I'm in Norway and if i run out of time I can just skip Denmark.

I wonder if that was you passing me on Thursday night, about 7pm as I drove down the A4 from Thatcham to Theale? An 1150 with spots and full luggage, rider wearing a flourescent bib...didn't catch the colour.

Anyway, Ash...where are these bloomin' photos?

Cheers Rowan...following some more planning I am now planning to go clockwise Newcastle, Bergen and then back via Denmark...this way I max out the time I'm in Norway and if i run out of time I can just skip Denmark.

I wonder if that was you passing me on Thursday night, about 7pm as I drove down the A4 from Thatcham to Theale? An 1150 with spots and full luggage, rider wearing a flourescent bib...didn't catch the colour.

Anyway, Ash...where are these bloomin' photos?

ive tried twice.with my hands this resizing crap is proving a bit fiddly didly.ill have another go tonight.nice to feel wanted:D :D
ps, just fitted t/t tool kit locking cover:bow :bow makes it easier to lift the old leg over now rear seat is gone,also fitted t/t side stand foot plate to enlarge the base.hopefully it will ease getting on/off in dodgy ground.
over and out.

ive tried twice.with my hands this resizing crap is proving a bit fiddly didly.ill have another go tonight.nice to feel wanted:D :D
ps, just fitted t/t tool kit locking cover:bow :bow makes it easier to lift the old leg over now rear seat is gone,also fitted t/t side stand foot plate to enlarge the base.hopefully it will ease getting on/off in dodgy ground.
over and out.

Should be easier because your wallets alot lighter now:nenau :D

Shep

hi ozzy you have a pm.
i do hope you had a great trip and you and the boys had all got home in one peice.did you sort out your footrest at bilbao,as you have read in my thread i had a great time and fantastic weather.the bike was great maybe next time i might get to moroco after my two inpending opperations this year i will then be the £6.00 man:eek: Not the $6.OOO.OOO man :p.
i have dakar,stickers/keyring/bag/pins/and odd pr items but no chance of the tee shirts fitting me:D :D :D
best wishes ashley.
p/s were's your story and piccies.;) im waiting.

Back
Top Bottom