Serves me right I suppose!

walti

Reaction score
On Sunday I said I had a reliable R1200GS....

Thursday evening it had a few problems, didn't want to start very well (the battery was a bit low) and the front brake lever switch stuck on - running the servo...

Limped home and went out to have a look Friday morning... won't start - battery even lower.

Left it on charge all night went out this morning battery charged, but it still won't start catches fires 2 or 3 times and stops.... As if theres no fuel getting through.

It's due a service too!

Oh well....

Do a search on resetting the Engine management, dead simple if I recall correctly, i just cant remember how:eek:

Also check the battery terminals are tight, they can loosen when taking the seat on and off:nenau

Shep

Do a search on resetting the Engine management, dead simple if I recall correctly, i just cant remember how:eek:

Also check the battery terminals are tight, they can loosen when taking the seat on and off:nenau

Shep

LOL!

The only post it finds is this one!

I'll have a few more goes with different wording!

Is this what you need, mate?

"When you disconect the the battery - i.e simular to it going flat - you need to reset the throttle position sensor.

Switch the bike on and let it go through the start up process but do not start the engine. Slowly open the throttle fully twice and then start the bike. Problem may then have gone."

:nenau

I found this and a few other posts on the subject by searching for "reset engine".

Malc

Is this what you need, mate?

"When you disconect the the battery - i.e simular to it going flat - you need to reset the throttle position sensor.

Switch the bike on and let it go through the start up process but do not start the engine. Slowly open the throttle fully twice and then start the bike. Problem may then have gone."

:nenau

I found this and a few other posts on the subject by searching for "reset engine".

Malc

Thanks - I found that too!

Tried it - no joy so thanks!

RAC have just been out and think it's the fuel pump not running, as bike will start momentarily then cut out, but when ignition is switched on pump primes, giving enough pressure for it to initially catch.

Having initially caught, continuos cranking leaves dry spark plugs so the suspicion is - no fuel!

Didn't have a diagnostic tool so couldn't do owt - recovery to SBW organised.

Have you washed your bike? Tut tut. You can't wash a big trail bike like that and expect the fuel pump voltage transformer to survive. :D

It's a very poor design on a ten grand bike. :spitfire It sits in a pool of water after you clean your bike, and this seeps through over time, past a seal. I think it's a heat up/cool down suction situation and the seal is poor.
If your bike's been modded it'll have a green seal when the nice man mends it.

Mine f**ked up on my first ride out. I just can't express how pi55ed off and cold I was, side of the road, 100 miles from home, first ride, rain, January (06). And it was dusk.:(
It destroyed any confidence I had in the marque (short term at least).

Had no real bother since mind. :thumb
Good luck mate.:)

Havn't washed it, but I was out and about on it on Thursday, where the rain had flooded roads and I was drowned several times by the wash from Artics going the other way through the flood water!

BTW the bike dealt with it at the time very well, as I passed several stranded cars that had drowned... Too smug too soon! ;)

Sounds like it may be the cause :nenau

To be fair, it's likely to be the cause. It was a common enough fault in its time.
This suprised me, as I thought I'd bought a rufty tufty soft roader. When I did the research(after buying the bike-that WON'T happen again! :rolleyes: ), I found this out.
There has been a few posts on here. Maybe worth a search to see what the symptoms were, costs, updates, part numbers etc. :nenau
Mine spluttered, then died, with not even an attempt to fire after death.
The death however, was only the bike, and could easily have been much more serious! :eek:
Again, as I said before, I still have the bike, and no real major issues since.
In fact I love it! :bounce1
P.:)

By "do a search", I mean on here BTW. Try GS1200 Fuel pump for example. :)

... I had the miscreant fuel pump board changed during summer '06 ... I wonder ... are the replacements fitted better than the original, or am I to expect another stranding?

To be fair, it's likely to be the cause. It was a common enough fault in its time.
This suprised me, as I thought I'd bought a rufty tufty soft roader. When I did the research(after buying the bike-that WON'T happen again! :rolleyes: ), I found this out.
There has been a few posts on here. Maybe worth a search to see what the symptoms were, costs, updates, part numbers etc. :nenau
Mine spluttered, then died, with not even an attempt to fire after death.
The death however, was only the bike, and could easily have been much more serious! :eek:
Again, as I said before, I still have the bike, and no real major issues since.
In fact I love it! :bounce1
P.:)

Thanks for that - found a few mentions of the fault, I have taken a few notes, which I will ask the dealer to check through for me:

The BMW Recall Number for the fuel pump corrossion issue is 163300.

FWIW - the fuel pump "controller" is £40.60 + VAT
- part number C16.14.7.694.378

The O-Ring for it is £1.88 + VAT
- part number C16.14.7.694.717

Someone told us earlier how to hotwire the effin fuel pump, dead simple.
Do that, if it works, you know what is f88ked.
bin

You don't have it on the centerstand with the side stand down also do you? If so, try it with the side stand up.

Appears it was the fuel pump solenoid.

Total bill £382.72!

Service
Adust the brake switch
Replace the solenoid
Deliver it back home

Appears it was the fuel pump solenoid.

Total bill £382.72!

Service
Adust the brake switch
Replace the solenoid
Deliver it back home

As it's a known fault that has had a recall to sort it, I hope you didn't have to pay out!!! :eek:

Even if it's out of warranty, that should have been done FOC.

As it's a known fault that has had a recall to sort it, I hope you didn't have to pay out!!! :eek:

Even if it's out of warranty, that should have been done FOC.

Quite right. Did you see if the O ring (actually a D profile section), was a black one or a green one?

The green one is the "upgrade" from the original black one that failed.
IMHO, they should have replaced it FOC regardless, as it's a known weak spot.

Was there any water present UNDER the seal? If yes, and it was the later seal (green) then I'd go back to the shop and play up f*ck. This was supposed to cure it. NOT YOUR FAULT. :mad:

If there was water and you had a black seal, then you are subject to the recall, and I think it poor business practice to charge for a fault caused by the makers misjudgement. :spitfire

It's a pi55 poor rig on an offroad bike anyway, so I put two seals on, and blathered it with sealant too. I can now wash my bike (if I take care of course).:D

I just absorbed what they charged you!!!
Near £400 for a half hour job, and a £50 part. Ok, they adjusted the brakes too, but hey, £382. :mad:
I'd contest that too.
It really IS a simple job, and easy to access. I should know, I watched the BMW man do it at the side of the road, and I've done it myself.
Which only leaves the brakes to make up the bill. Did they fit new parts there too? Just a thought.

I just absorbed what they charged you!!!
Near £400 for a half hour job, and a £50 part. Ok, they adjusted the brakes too, but hey, £382. :mad:
I'd contest that too.
It really IS a simple job, and easy to access. I should know, I watched the BMW man do it at the side of the road, and I've done it myself.
Which only leaves the brakes to make up the bill. Did they fit new parts there too? Just a thought.

That included a 12,000 mile service! (They weren't *that* bad!) My bike wasn't recalled due to this problem!

So now it's fixed are you coming out for a spin up to Hunstanton this Sunday ?

Back
Top Bottom