Hi Viz Jacket ex Plod

....I say that hivis wearers think hivis makes them more visible. This leads to them assuming they've been seen. If that makes them dangerous, they're generally only a danger to themselves.

You think hivis makes you more visible and you ride accordingly.

if this is true then the number of motorcyclists experiencing accidents while wearing Hi-Vz would be higher than those not....or am i missing something:nenau

if this is true then the number of motorcyclists experiencing accidents while wearing Hi-Vz would be higher than those not....or am i missing something:nenau

We don't know, as there has been no definative study*, which is part of the problem.

*There was a study done once in New Zealand but that was shown to be seriously flawed.

An interesting point. Also it could be the number of motorcyclists who ride all year round as opposed to warm weekends in good light? As I see it the more someone rides statistically the higher risk they are at.

I ride on bumpy greasy slippy country lanes for most of my commute, already this year I have seen temperatures hovering just above zero a few times, add some darkness and idiots in cars who approach every corner on high beam with a coffee or a mobile in one hand and it can be an interesting ride. If my new HV jacket helps to make me 1% more visible over the winter period then it has worked.

I will however re-iterate my previous statement, I treat all car riders as idiots who want to kill me regardless of what I wear. Interestingly with the darker mornings here I would say 75% of the bike riders in my area have disappeared and a fair few of the remainder are wearing Hi-Viz of some form.

I guess it is down to individual preference, out of interest how many here will ride through the winter this year dressed as MiB's?

Nothing against Hi Viz but the only time I wear it is in lousy visibility - e.g. Fog/torrential rain - in the the vague hope it might give the car driver coming up behind an extra 1/10th second in the "wake up and avoid" process.

Fact. If you tour in Europe you are required to carry a hi viz waistcoat/jacket.

Fact. Just about anyone whose occupation puts them in harms way, are required by their employer to wear hi viz, from fork truck drivers, to roadside litter pickers, to air side airport workers and of course the emergency services.

By any definition riding a motorbike, puts you in harms way.

Fact -the euro hi-vis rule also applies to cars and their passengers. And it's not compulsary to wear it while riding a bike, it's for wearing while standing at the side of the road when broken down .

Why does a motorcycle put you in harms way ?? It's a form of transport, same as a car/bus/train/plane.
Sure it's less forgiving if you ride like an arsehole, but that's down to the user.

I don't wear hi-vis and i don't ride with my lights on during the day. Not any braver than a hi-vis wearer nor a rebel :rolleyes: It's my choice. I feel no different and ride the same whatever i wear. Which includes T shirt, shorts and pumps in summer.

Just don't tell me that Hi-vis is safer. Thats only your opinion.

Just don't tell me that Hi-vis is safer. Thats only your opinion.

Err well... It doesnt and cannot guarantee your safety... BUT is HAS to be 'safer' as a global effect, hence why do motorway workers/police etc etc have to wear it? If it wasn't 'improving someones chances of being seen' they wouldn't have to..... and if it 'improves someones chances of being seen' then surely it makes you POTENTIALLY safer, it might only be by a few %, but thats gotta be good right? No?

Regarding legislation to make everyone wear it, thats just b#####x... How would the police stand out? Would cyclists then have to wear it too? Ohhh maybe they'd make motorcyclists all wear orange... how fruity.... I honestly think that legislation will Never happen.... Can you imagine the uproar from drivers (and we all know drivers lobbies run the roads right) saying "every biker looks like a copper, how can i drive my 500 quid Corsa at pedestrian murdering speeds down suburban roads now?'

where's that popcorn smiley gone? :rob

Err well... It doesnt and cannot guarantee your safety... BUT is HAS to be 'safer' as a global effect, hence why do motorway workers/police etc etc have to wear it?

They are static objects (have you ever seen a motorway worker on a hurry up :D), different set of circumstance to being on the move with differing backgrounds.

Regarding legislation to make everyone wear it, thats just b#####x...

In your opinion.

In my opinion,the mindset behind the voluntary wearing of it is b#####x...

How would the police stand out?

And that underlines my comment that people only appear to react differently to those in their Please Don`t Knock Me Down gear because they`re unsure if the wearer is plod or not...and whether or not they`ll get done for whatever it is they`re fecking about at.

Would cyclists then have to wear it too?

Very likely after us having to...there`s already attempts to make cycle helmets compulsory,so it wouldn`t be long before Please Don`t Knock Me Down gear was compulsory on push irons as well as motorbikes.

I honestly think that legislation will Never happen....

And I honestly think that attempts at it may not be far away .. certainly the voluntary mass wearing of it will speed that possibility...and there`s already some of you lot wearing it because you think it will stand you in better stead in the case of any accident claim payout.
That kind of deluded mental conditioning spreads like wildfire and turns things about,hence me talking about how the onus shifts onto us instead of addressing the feckwit drivers.......'Oh look,he wasn`t wearing PDKMD gear...well,he SHOULD have been.....so he`s to blame' etc etc.

Can you imagine the uproar from drivers (and we all know drivers lobbies run the roads right) saying "every biker looks like a copper,

Further reinforcement of my comment that you are seen BY THOSE WHO LOOK IN THE FIRST PLACE regardless of what you are wearing,but in your PDKMD gear they`re unsure if they may have to face the consequences of their actions with a member of plod.

Any vehicle operators claiming the inability of seeing an adult human body astride a motorbike without the 'benefit' of radioactive PDKMD clothing shouldn`t be listened to sympathetically or with any consideration as to their innocence..... and simply shouldn`t be allowed on the public highway at the controls of a motor vehicle.

Can't a mod. close this thread?:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:

we can all wear what we want to, all this shite about Mib and Dayglo Derecks!

Davegs. I was being ironic. Please read earlier posts in this thread. Are you American?
Steptoe. I recognise your right to wear what you want. I'm just giving my opinion and trying to back it up. Isn't that partly what the forums are about ? Incidentally, I ride with shorts/t-shirt and trainers in the summer too. And hiviz !! :)

Jesus, I think I last posted on this subject before my summer hols, did you need a little thinking time? ;)

Fact -the euro hi-vis rule also applies to cars and their passengers. And it's not compulsory to wear it while riding a bike, it's for wearing while standing at the side of the road when broken down

I know thats why I used the word "CARRY"

Look I respect your right to wear shorts and t shirts in summer and would not criticise you for doing so, ( the French police are often seen wearing the same ) the reason I responded to this post in the first place is because of Tarka's comments that if you wear Hi Viz you belong to the please don't hit me brigade, and that he assumes I ride less defensively when wearing Hi Viz, how could he possably know others mindsets ?

Any vehicle operators claiming the inability of seeing an adult human body astride a motorbike without the 'benefit' of radioactive PDKMD clothing shouldn`t be listened to sympathetically or with any consideration as to their innocence..... and simply shouldn`t be allowed on the public highway at the controls of a motor vehicle.
Today 17:54

Great idea :clap, so lets compile a list of people that can't have a driving licence.
1/ male drivers under 25
2/ drivers with children in the car.
3/ people with phones.
4/ people who smoke/eat sweets/apples etc
5/ people with less than 20/20 vision.
6/ people with poor hearing.
7/ anyone with a disability.
8/ anyone running late
9/ Taxi/minicab drivers.
10/ anyone over what ? say 50 years old.

You get them off the road and I will give up my Hi Viz, O boll*ck's I am over 50.:blast

I saw one this afternoon..... a guy on a white ST1100 wearing a similar hi-viz jacket. He'd had the good grace not to wear a white lid. I think there's something a bit sad about people who tread close to the line of impersonating a Police Officer.

A few years back, I was ask to assist a twat who turned up, low and behold, white ST1100 (ex job) and tango bits peeled off, wore the issued hi-viz jacket plus white helmet with dangling lead and the plug was poked into his jacket. I commented upon him being viewed as a traffic officer and he acknowledged that it was deliberate ploy on his part, so Blatent .. yes, a sad character .. very definitley, .. who just happened to be an IAM bike instructor.

I sometimes wear a Revit high-vis jacket when riding to/from work. And i do notice a positive difference with me being more visible to 4 wheelers.

However, High-vis and flashing blues didn’t help this poor fella.:eek:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B8w4OAYTHtY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B8w4OAYTHtY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Thankfully, he made a full recovery from his injuries.

Back
Top Bottom