Adjusting handlebar switchgear/controls R1200GS

John Gates

Tried a Q on the technical forum to no avail so I thought I'd try my fellow Northern GSers who must be civilised lot having both GS and North in their respective CVs.

Here goes. Left and right handlebar control clusters are at different relative angles and just get on your nerves after about 10 mins riding. Anyone know which pinch/adjustment bolts/screws to slacken to level them please.

Incentive; I will sell my brand new unused standard GS screen to the first with the right information at modest cost, with free delivery.

Ahh Switches GS 1200 and HP2

you think you are hard done by, the switches are screwed into the handle bar itself , and on the gs they are steel , there is no way to change the angle of the switches like on jap bikes, as i find it hard to get to horn. On the HP2 the bars are alloy and the screw comes loose and elongates!, the whole grip and switch rotate, giving twin twistgrip syndrome , if you get my drift .
If you pull your left grip away from the switch you should see the Torx headed screw.
next time you see a used hp2 try rotating the Clutch side twist grip

The throttle side can be moved (IIRC) by removing the very small torx screw from the back of the housing and gently prising off the cover (The one facing forwards as you sit on the bike) This should expose a large torx screw which clamps the whole arrangement to the bars. The left hand grip is, as Phil said, screwed to the bar, so unless you fancy re-drilling and tapping a hole, it will have to stay where it is.
HTH
Mark

Many thanks Philgunn and Earthmover. I think I will perservere until the next service and get Jefferies to do it after all.

Back
Top Bottom