Two man tents - advice?

Thanks for all the replies chaps.

Going to look at this one tomorrow:-

linky

Its a toss up between the two or the three man one to be honest?

I like to have a bit of room, plus if I buy the bigger one of the two, maybe I could get Mrs BTBR interested as well.

Thats the one I have. Very roomy for 1, would be a bit cosy for 2 and very cramped for 3 unless it was :hug !

Sorry dragging this thread up but I am looking for a tent. I had a look in Blacks and saw a couple of interesting ones.

Looking on this thread I think I will go for a khyam. Can't choose between biker or igloo. Help me please.

MrP

Tent criteria:-

1. Easy to put up, so when it's dark/tipping it down/freezing you're warm and dry ASAP
2. Waterproof top and bottom. It will rain on you, and being wet in a tent is truely shit. However, being warm and dry in a tent while those around you are whining is truely splendid!!! Also, when the ground becomes saturated you don't want puddles in the sleeping bag
3. There must be somewhere to dump wet stuff/hot stuff/cook under a covered area but outside the sleeping area.

So, before you shell out your money, ask to put one up, see how waterproof the groundsheet is and get in it to see if you and your biking gear will fit in, just - no more, no less.
:rob

Or take a bivvy bag and a tarp and live like Ray Mears... :augie

If you're buying a tent to go camping once, buy one off e-bay. If you're going a few times a year, get a decent one - As someone said, Vau-De do a good range and their mail order is very good.

Tent criteria:-

1. Easy to put up, so when it's dark/tipping it down/freezing you're warm and dry ASAP
2. Waterproof top and bottom. It will rain on you, and being wet in a tent is truely shit. However, being warm and dry in a tent while those around you are whining is truely splendid!!! Also, when the ground becomes saturated you don't want puddles in the sleeping bag
3. There must be somewhere to dump wet stuff/hot stuff/cook under a covered area but outside the sleeping area.

The biker or igloo both fit points one and 3. Number 2, I am not so sure. I mean they are waterproof but I am not sure how much.

So, before you shell out your money, ask to put one up, see how waterproof the groundsheet is and get in it to see if you and your biking gear will fit in, just - no more, no less.
:rob
I have found a couple of dealers, I will try to visit one this week

If you're buying a tent to go camping once, buy one off e-bay. If you're going a few times a year, get a decent one - As someone said, Vau-De do a good range and their mail order is very good.

I am going for a weekend to Silverstone to collect money for SERV and also going to the hoghaost there might also be a bit of an Eastern Europe trip later in the summer and God know what else. I don't want to spend a fortune but I want reasonable kit.

MrP

Biker packs to 62cm rather than 82cm.

See if you can find a Coleman Quartz 3. I can't remember which shop I got mine at on the net but it was reduced to £99 from £165. Used it this weekend and it was perfect.
As recommended by Forry.

Just got myself a Khyam biker, not used it yet but loads more room than my previous tent :thumb

Attachments

• Mid Blue - Black d.png
    Mid Blue - Black d.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 211
From an expert!

I've had two identicle one's from Millets. Both were green and just about big enough for one if you leave your bike and gear outside. Make sure your boots are turned up-side-down if rain threatens and check them for nasty bugs in the morning.:eek:

The first one is probably still in the gutter alongside the M4 in Berkshire due to a bungee snapping when subjected to exhaust heat whilst riding to the Hog Raost. This can result in unwarrented attention from the boys in blue in their heliocopter.:augie

The second has proved itself in a recent expedition to Morocco. Took some erecting in the huricane but the very flexible glassfibre poles flexed right down to the ground in the strongest gusts. It proved to be warmer inside than out too. Not as warm as the hotel that the others stayed in though.

Might be interested in selling mine if your interested.:D

Skip.

Anyone got any idea where to get a cheap tarp from. I've got a North Face Tadpole, which is great, but would like some more "sitting out" space. But the tarps I've seen are more expensive that the tent...

Tarp & 2 man tent

Anyone got any idea where to get a cheap tarp from. I've got a North Face Tadpole, which is great, but would like some more "sitting out" space. But the tarps I've seen are more expensive that the tent...

I go my tarp from Decathlon, It's 3m x 3m plus metal poles, weight 1.9kg approx £14.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/Produ...ing-tents/shelters/product_2363223/index.html

Incidentally i have just got myself a new tent through the post today. It is a Wild Country (Tera Nova) Hoy 2 man costing £79.99 from gear zone.

http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/eshop/Wild-Country-Hoy---Ss07.html

hope that helps

Back
Top Bottom