Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Discover Scotland

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Lochcarron

Having passed through Lochcarron numerous times, we actually decided to stop overnight this time and would highly recomend our B&B. Lovely rooms, very clean, great breakfast (especially the black pudding) and fantastic views

http://www.castlecottagebandb.co.uk/

We had dinner at The Bistro on the B&B owners recommendation and had an excellent meal. Gordon Ramsey would have been proud of them

Best to book a table though as it's very small and was packed out on a Thursday night http://www.scottishholidays.net/clie...3-001-120.html

Unlike the Lochacarron Hotel which looked to be continuing that fine Scottish tradition of producing inedible 80's pub food

BTW we stopped at Glenuig on the way down to Mull the next day and the inn was looking very shabby with its peeling paint and knackered roof and windows. Thankfully it was closed, so we had lunch at the visitors centre on the way to the Kilchoan ferry instead...

Quote Originally Posted by simemus View Post
    How about aviemore-tomintoul over the lecht along south deeside from balmoral to feuchside inn (great grub) then over cairn o mount..
    Thats a superb route that

notanotherbike

Thumbs up The Townhead Cafe, Biggar.

I get paid to drive from Bolton, M6/M74 & up the A82 from Glasgow to Inverness, then taking the A9 back to Edinburgh about once a month.... I love that trip & would love to ride it one day.

We work up-north loads & use the A702 short cut (M74/Edinburgh), Another road i like to drive. The chippy in Biggar has always been a fav' stopping place for us, as you can sit in, takeaway or even just pickup a decent brew.

It's called "The Townhead Café" in the Border town of Biggar & was crowned the UK’s best fish and chip shop 2007.

I've always enjoyed the food, try it & see what you think. Nab.

Pick any road north of Inverness and you'll have a great time.

If you're heading for Skye - take a detour around LochCarron and do the High pass to Applecross that has been mentioned on here. It's stunning. The Applecross Inn does fantastic seafood but get there early, it's impossible to get a seat 7-9pm.

East Side: A9 North of Inverness as already pointed out, it's a road made for bikes. Watch out for idiot tourists stopping without warning and geriatric crofters driving as if they are the only vehicle on the road - they're lethal.
    Stop at the 'Trawler' chippy on the main drag in Golspie on the A9- you will not be disappointed. Theres a car park next to the beach 100m away.

From Golspie, North to John O'Groats and then West to Durness/Cape Wrath and then South to Ullapool is probably some of the best biking country in the UK. And because it's too far North for a lot of the tourists you can (especially in Sutherland) almost have the roads to yourselves - even in the middle of summer.

Just watch out for sheep, deer, sheep, midgies, sheep and a bumblebee F800GS (me, probably not a sheep, but there is a resemblance to a Texel/Cheviot cross).

If anyone wants any detailed info about Caithness/JOG - please give me a buzz.

K.

Rambling Sid Rumpo
    A few years ago I was mad keen on panoramic photography and here are a few of the fruits of my labours to amplify what Klanky, and others, say. They've been shrunk down so much they lose a lot of impact but if you've never been, never seen it, hopefully it'll whet your appetite:

Dornoch Firth, on the A9 north of Inverness:

Dornoch Firth again, from the road to Rogart / Bonar Bridge:

And again, from the back road to Bonar Bridge:

This is up in the hills above the Kyle of Tongue:

As is this:

And these are some of Orkney:

Uinneag
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambling Sid Rumpo View Post
    A few years ago I was mad keen on panoramic photography and here are a few of the fruits of my labours to amplify what Klanky, and others, say. They've been shrunk down so much they lose a lot of impact but if you've never been, never seen it, hopefully it'll whet your appetite:

Dornoch Firth, on the A9 north of Inverness:

Dornoch Firth again, from the road to Rogart / Bonar Bridge:

And again, from the back road to Bonar Bridge:

This is up in the hills above the Kyle of Tongue:

As is this:

And these are some of Orkney:

sorted some for ye

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

biker hotel

if you need or want to stay down in the southern end of scotland the Buccleuch Arms Hotel in Moffat is activley biker friendly (pronounced buck lew) it is an absolute gem of a place the staff could not be any more helpfull,the food is FIRST CLASS,(huge menu) they have secure parking,and because we were on the bike they gave us a 15% discount (the owners are bikers) all in all a complete gem of a place NO HESITATION in recommending this establishment
    www.buccleucharmshotel.com
    ps iv no connection to this place just stopped in on the off chance on a dark pissing night and was very pleasantly surprised (not universally welcomed with your bike gear on has been my experience)

If I ask nicely will you let me into your country to see these wonderful sites I've just seen in the pictures above....

Deleted account rno
    Quote Originally Posted by What Speed Limit View Post
    If I ask nicely will you let me into your country to see these wonderful sites I've just seen in the pictures above....
    You mean you've never been before? You don't know what yer missin'

Quote Originally Posted by Ronno View Post
    You mean you've never been before? You don't know what yer missin'
    I have only arrived by ship into Rosyth about 1800 and out by coach at 2200 thesame night it was dark wet and cold...\otherwise no not yet...

Deleted account rno
    Quote Originally Posted by What Speed Limit View Post
    I have only arrived by ship into Rosyth about 1800 and out by coach at 2200 thesame night it was dark wet and cold...\otherwise no not yet...
    Hmmm Rosyth on a wet, dark night? I'm no' surprised you didn't hurry back

There are on or two nicer places

Monty Halls Great Escape on BBC 2 now, on the Bealch na Baa

Last post 2009 eh..?

Undiscovered Scotland is a useful on line guide: http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/index.html

I like the loop you can do through Assynt. Come off the main road about five miles north of Ullapool and then do the loop through to Lochinver, then either stick to the coast through Drumbeg (mental twisty and so beautiful) or have a high speed blast back along Loch Assynt to the main road.

Loch Assynt:

ThreeDawg

There's also the Gairloch Loop (or Wester Ross Coastal Trail as the tourist people would have it) Go anti clockwise to stay on the coast side of the road from Achnasheen (cafe/toilets) through Kinlochewe (mental fast brilliantly surfaced road) to Gairloch (the Old Inn down by the harbour on the right does pretty good food and is in a great spot) and on past Gruinard Bay (beautiful beach) and Dundonnell (Maggie's tearoom has great views from the deck over Little Loch Broom, there's also B+B and a bunkhouse there) You then rejoin the main inverness Ullapool road at Braemore Junction (turn left for half a mile for toilets)

Road to Kinlochewe:

Gruinard Bay (no GS!)

Beach at Mellon Udrigle:

Three Dawg

Has the Road To the Isles been featured?

From Ft William a blinding bit of tarmac leads to Mallaig. This goes past Glenfinnan where there is a monument to Bonnie Prince Charlie's ill fated uprising and a good visitor's centre. Further up the road to Morar take the turn following the old road thro' Arisaig for a look at the white sands. Stunning. Then head up to Mallaig for the ferry to Skye but check the schedules on Sundays!

Morar:

ThreeDawg

Another place well worth seeking out is Lower Diabaig (sp?) in Torridon. The road (which is a dead end) starts just outside Torridon village and climbs up along Loch Torridon to Diabaig. Hugely isolated, but very entertaining on a GS, not quite so much on a Jota though

Overlooking Loch Torridon:

Three Dawg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast