Thread: Discover Scotland

Jota......

view's not bad either.

Yeah, arriving anywhere on that thing caused a bit of a stir

ThreeDawg

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    some fantastic photography there threedawg

Glenuig Inn

Glenuig Inn I can reccomend it,I have stayed there a few times and they always have a bike or two out front of the pub,
    They have new big bungalows for rent which can sleep up to eight persons,
    There is a pub with food, restaurant and nowt else but good roads, sea, beach, what more can a man want

Iconoclast Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by bsogri View Post
    Glenuig Inn I can reccomend it,I have stayed there a few times and they always have a bike or two out front of the pub,
    They have new big bungalows for rent which can sleep up to eight persons,
    There is a pub with food, restaurant and nowt else but good roads, sea, beach, what more can a man want
    http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showpos...42&postcount=2

However....I don't know when you were last there but my recommendation was 3.5 years ago. Since then, the place has changed ownership. The new owner appears to be intent on turning it into some kind of centre for outdoor pursuits. The room rates have gone up quite significantly and he seems to have barred most of the locals from the bar. As I understand it, he's done a good job of pissing off a lot of the locals. I know this since several of them were at Edinburgh University when I was, back in the early 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by Schtum View Post
    http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showpos...42&postcount=2

However....I don't know when you were last there but my recommendation was 3.5 years ago. Since then, the place has changed ownership. The new owner appears to be intent on turning it into some kind of centre for outdoor pursuits. The room rates have gone up quite significantly and he seems to have barred most of the locals from the bar. As I understand it, he's done a good job of pissing off a lot of the locals. I know this since several of them were at Edinburgh University when I was, back in the early 70's.
    We called in on the way to Tobermory last Saturday. The owner has totally renovated the place, but seemed like a stuck-up pompous tw*t

"What lagers do you have?"
    "None, they don't make real ale lager and the only barrel of micro-brewery lager we had ran out on Thursday and we only bought it on Monday"
    "Doesn't that show there's a market for lager type beers, especially in hot weather, and you should put some more on tap"

The food was very expensive too. If Trudi hadn't already ordered a soft drink I'd have voted with my feet
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Steve

2006 K1200S > 2009 R1200GS MU > 2012 R1200RT SE > 2014 R1200GS LC

Three recommendations from our trip last week:

Fern Villa in Ballachulish. Very clean, comfy, cosy accommodation with friendly owners and very cheap too at £50 per night midweek via Laterooms.com. It's 8 miles south of Fort Bill, but a much nicer area http://www.fernvilla.org.uk/

Little Erray in Tobermory. The bedroom and bathroom were modern, clean and a good size. The owner was very friendly and made a great cooked breakfast served in a breakfast room with a great view. The location was quiet, but only 5 minutes walk from the promenade (although at the top of a steep hill - not a problem for us). Overall, a lovely place to stay and excellent value for money. http://www.little-erray.co.uk/

The Shieling in Ullapool. Brilliant location next to Loch Broom and very nice rooms. The view from the breakfast room and front bedroom is stunning (see photo from our bedroom) and the breakfast was great too. The owner is a bit dour, although his wife was much friendlier and they have secure bike storage if you require. http://www.thesheilingullapool.co.uk/
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Steve

2006 K1200S > 2009 R1200GS MU > 2012 R1200RT SE > 2014 R1200GS LC

New Member (less than 15 Posts)

Tour of Scotland

Hi All,

My wife and I would like to spend a week to ten days of our vacation in the UK and Ireland, touring Scotland by motorcycle out of Edinburgh in mid September.
    We need a bike, of course and a suggested route, places to stay and eat. We love to wonder and do not need 4 star hotels or the like. Comfortable and clean with tasty food.
    In the past, we did travel to the Cotswalds but by cage.
    I have owned GS's for many years and now have a 1991 R100 GS. Decided to down size from my much beloved R1150 GSA. I rode it the length of the rockies, Baja and the deserts. We have toured the Alps and Southern Spain by bike and we are in our late 60's. I Followed the Dakar for 3000 miles in 2010 on an F800 GS.
    Anyway, enough about me - it's all about the riding and people along the way.

Thanks for any help,

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by mopti View Post
    Hi All,

My wife and I would like to spend a week to ten days of our vacation in the UK and Ireland, touring Scotland by motorcycle out of Edinburgh in mid September.
    We need a bike, of course and a suggested route, places to stay and eat. We love to wonder and do not need 4 star hotels or the like. Comfortable and clean with tasty food.
    Hi Chuck and welcome aboard. For BMW rental in Edinburgh -

http://www.rentamotorcycle.co.uk

Also on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Motor...846198?sk=info

They can also offer advice on accommodation, places to eat and routes and if they can't I'm sure that I and several others on here can. I should be just back from a trip from Indianapolis to Colorado and Utah when you get here.

Thanks - so soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Schtum View Post
    Hi Chuck and welcome aboard. For BMW rental in Edinburgh -

http://www.rentamotorcycle.co.uk

Also on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Motor...846198?sk=info

They can also offer advice on accommodation, places to eat and routes and if they can't I'm sure that I and several others on here can. I should be just back from a trip from Indianapolis to Colorado and Utah when you get here.
    Their site says they may not have any more bikes and I did send an e-mail request.
    If you get out my way - San Francisco Bay Area, give a shout.
    Thanks for any help/information you can give us.

Quote Originally Posted by mopti View Post
    Their site says they may not have any more bikes and I did send an e-mail request.
    Yeah, I saw that after I posted the link. If you have no luck, let me know. If the response is slow, the owners are friends of mine and I can find out for you.

If you get out my way - San Francisco Bay Area, give a shout.
    Thanks for any help/information you can give us.
    I don't think I'll make it to NorCal this year, although a friend in Folsom is riding out to Colorado to join us. However, I do have friends in San Jose and I keep threatening to buy a bike there and leave it in their garage rather than give the nice folks (and they are...) at Dubbelju lots of my hard-earned whenever I want to ride in California.

There's a wee, unfinished ride report of the 5 day tour of NorCal that my son and I did last year, here....

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238604

Do you hang out on BARF by any chance...?

B&B in Wick

Just want to recommend a cracking B&B in Wick,
    The Clachan

13 Randolph Place, Wick KW1 5NJ, Scotland

Elspeth is a wealth of knowledge and the rooms really nice, up there with 5 star hotels and well worth a visit

Guide to Scotland

This is obviously the place to post this by Danny Bhoy

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234