Modifications to Adventure

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thought you might be interested in a couple of mods I've made to my bike in order to overcome some its weak points:

1. Horn. The standard 'moped' style horn didn't produce the type of attention a bike like this should receive - I replaced it with a pair of Fiamm horns from Halfords. They fit (see pic) on the Torx bolts which (if you have the option) hold the fog light brackets on (if you don't have this option, the bolts are still there, but I think you may have to alter the Fiamm bracket slightly).

2. Headlights. Having been used to Pan European lights, I found the GS ones less than adequate. I fitted a Top of the Line headlamp guard & a pair of Hella Optimax 1300 spots, which have improved the situation no end. Both these items were sourced in the USA - the guard is well made & designed, but had to be adapted to fit the Adventure, as it fits on the screen mounts. Be aware that the guard originally cost $146 + $40 postage, but that HMG & Parcelfarce added £46 to this total! You should be able to source suitable lamps locally. Top of the Line are at www.cbtimports.co. I got the lamps ($38.95 + $30 postage + £16 duty etc) from www.classicgarage.com

3. Mudflap. I cannot praise this bit of kit highly enough - why don't BMW fit something like this as standard?? Touratech mud flap, can't remember how much, but under £20, this will cut the amount of crud sprayed over the rear of your bike by about 90%!

Hope this is of interest

MikeO

Attachments

• klan.jpg
    klan.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 419
Last edited:
Adventure mods

Mike

I pick up my silver Adventure this Saturday.

What options did you select from BMW?

In your picture, it looks like you have a tank bra or cover on.
Did you find one that fits the 30L tank?

Are you going to fit hard bags as well?

I ordered some hard parts from Tourtech,
as well as the mudflap. Thanks for the advise.

Nice ride!

Jason

Re: Adventure mods

jasong said:
Mike

I pick up my silver Adventure this Saturday.

What options did you select from BMW?

In your picture, it looks like you have a tank bra or cover on.
Did you find one that fits the 30L tank?

Are you going to fit hard bags as well?

I ordered some hard parts from Tourtech,
as well as the mudflap. Thanks for the advise.

Nice ride!

Jason
Baglux make a tank bag for the 30 litre Adventure. I ordered one at the BMF show, it was delivered in a few days and it is now fitted on my bike.

Its late, and I have drunk beer (no really - I have - honest)

But the piccies of Mikes Bike look more like Touratec (copyright Dave Turnock 2002) Tank panniers than a Baglux Bra.

Beer never lies!

I've fitted Touratech 41 litre Aluminium Panniers (with cut out for exhaust) + VP45 (or whatever it's called...) Tank bag, the 'bra' for which is what you can see in the pic.

The original spec from BMW was: Non-ABS; 31 litre tank; heated grips; crash-bars (still not arrived - anyone else got this problem!!??). I've also fitted an Autocom & 2 way radio (Goodmans), loads of Touratech bits & pieces. If anyone has any questions, please ask!

MikeO:white

Thought the idea of the Fiam horns was great - am on the look out for same sort of thing. Do I need to look at alternatives or are these really the best going for the purpose and space available?

Also what sort of mirrors have you fitted - they don't appear to be standard?

Rgds
Corky

Dave,

Check out 'Better Rear View' (or something like that...) in General Chat for details of the mirrors. Email on its way to you re. horns

Cheers

MikeO:)

Mike - I pick up my Adventure tomorrow (possibly ......) and like the idea of the Fiamm horns. On the US ADVRider site, there was a lot of talk about relays and high current drain with Fiamms. How did you wire yours in? Straight link to existing horn connection, or relay? Also, were the horns the dual or single connector models?
Thanks (in anticipation) for the info.

Good luck with your Adventure Paul, I've had mine a month now and LOVE IT!

Fiamm Horns

Hi All

I tried fitting the Fiamm electro-magnetic horns as Mike did, hooking onto my (home-made) lighting bar. However, they looked horribly vulnerable there, so took them back and swapped them for a pair of air-horns - same price at Halfords.

The compressor mounts using the original horn bracket, and fits inside the headstock, just forward of the front shock. The trumpets are mounted on the light bar, where Mike has his horns. I will post a pic when I am in less of a rush...
Had to use them yesterday - they are EXTREMELY loud!
Also much lighter than the the EM horns for hanging off the front lower mounting bolts. Still vulnerable, but they will at least pop off the mountings if they get whacked, rather than ripping the bolts out. I have put Ty-Raps on to retain the trumpets of they do get knocked off.

Pics to follow...

Regards

Peter

Back
Top Bottom