ROAD tyres for a GS1200

THE DOCTOR

Reaction score
What 100% road biased tyres are available for the GS12?

..or more to the point what's recommended?

What 100% road biased tyres are available for the GS12?

..or more to the point what's recommended?

I got Dunlop trailmax, may just as well be road tyres. great on the road, crap on trails. Why do you want pure road tyres? There's no option of going off road then, if you fit Tourances then you have a superb road tyre and a more than adequate trail tyre.

I really like the michelin Anakee's :thumb

Great tyre, loads of feel and I can outride other people in the dry or the wet with them... :eek:

Excellent boots :nenau

For the winter I put Michelin 'Pilot Roads' on mine. Can't give a report on them as shortly afterwards I had to lay the bike up after a simple operation like removing the exhaust went wrong....They are supposed to be good though.

Adie

I got Dunlop trailmax, may just as well be road tyres. great on the road, crap on trails. Why do you want pure road tyres? There's no option of going off road then, if you fit Tourances then you have a superb road tyre and a more than adequate trail tyre.

Fantastic road tyres (Dunlops). Have had three sets of these and love dthem, except for high (very ) speed stability. So......whent for Bridgestone 020's last time. Much better high speed stability and amazing in the wet but, TBH, still prefer the Dunlops on balance..........will be trying the new Bridgestone 'Deathwings' next as they seem to be getting good reports :nenau

Andres

Mich road Pilots, great grip and mileage but only for road use.

Why do you want pure road tyres? There's no option of going off road then, if you fit Tourances then you have a superb road tyre and a more than adequate trail tyre.

Because I'm touring in May, first France then Scotland. I''l be fully loaded up & want grip. My Tourances are in need of replacement & I thought a road tyre would suit long distance touring.

Outtomunch, do the 020's come in 19 inch for the front?

michelin pilot roads for me:thumb2 excellent grip in the wet and dry,but only managed 5000 miles from the rear,thought the tourances lost grip to easily in the wet.

Have you tried the Bridgestone BattleWings?

My 2005 R1200GS came originally with Michelin Anakee Tyres. I primerly ride on-road, and my ridingstyle is sporty.

After the Anakees I had a testride on a pair of Metzler Tourance, but I wanted to try the new Bridgestone BattleWing 501/501.

My impression after 2000 km ride is absolutly positive. Compaired with the other tires I have tried, they have a better grip and contact feeling with the road. The stifness of the tyres allows a more sporty driving style, and the tyres are stabile both on dry and wet asphalt.

Lars Mikkelsen :)

Pilot roads get my vote; very impressed with them. Pilot road 2's should be available within the next few months, looking forward to trying them.

michelin pilot roads for me:thumb2 excellent grip in the wet and dry,but only managed 5000 miles from the rear,thought the tourances lost grip to easily in the wet.
If you are only getting 5000 miles from your rear tyres I suspect that it is not the tyres but your riding style; no offence - we all ride the way wa like, but most people seem to get 12,000 miles at least from the rear. I have used my bike through three winters and really have felt very little difference between the tyre performance (Tourances) in the wet or dry ( but then again, that is probably due to my more sedate form of riding.

road tyres for 1200gs

:guitarist Ive had the battle wings fitted for approx 2500 miles, mostly ridden through our autumn & winter and simply cannot fault them on the road wet,greasy or dry tarmac.having come from a knee down racer mentality good rubber is paramount for pushing it on the gs, and these things certainly work for me!

...but most people seem to get 12,000 miles at least from the rear...

Don't think I believe this, I did once get nearly 9000 from a set of Mich road Pilots, but they were wellbelow 1mm tread when i got back from a long trip. Usually I get 4000-6000miles from a set, maybe less with Dunlops trailmax.

Now have the battleings, seem to be pretty good, not quite so good on a greasy road as the road pilots but still OK for me. I've only used them on road and whilst they look semi trailie I suspect they are pretty useless off road. Did use them on a track day and although they melted they maintained good grip.

I guess what tyre you like and how long they last is a very individual issue but I'm very surprised that anyone can get 12000 miles from a GS tyre.:nenau

I'm getting 6,000 ish from a rear Tourance and am more than happy with the grip in both wet and dry conditions. I've only used Tourances on my 1200 but have tried Bridgestone BT020's and Tourances on my 1150. I much preferred the Tourances which gave better all round grip especially in the wet - I found this hard to believe considering that the BT020 is a pure road tyre and only lasted 4,500 miles - having said that the 020's come with half the tread depth of Tourances so maye the Tourances are a little softer???

HTH

Dave

rear tyre mileage

"Don't think I believe this, I did once get nearly 9000 from a set of Mich road Pilots, but they were wellbelow 1mm tread when i got back from a long trip. Usually I get 4000-6000miles from a set, maybe less with Dunlops trailmax."

Sorry - I should have written 12,000 kms. (that is around 7,500 miles.) My rear is now on 12,500 and will manage another 2,000 I reckon, making a total of about 9,000 miles. The front was changed at 11,300 and I did some research before deciding to stick with the Touances - which of course meant that i could change just one tyre at a time.
To be honest I am surprised how little one notices these heavy treaded tyres (except when on slow hairpin bends) and the abilility to absorb the shocks and cope with rough roads convinced me to stay with them;

On my second Bt 020 rear and first 020 front. Got 3500 miles from the first rear which is much the same as from the same tyre when I had it on a VFR 800. Good levels of grip both wet and dry, and perhaps more importantly for me, good feedback as to what they are doing. Predictable with plenty of warning before letting go and sliding. All my riding is done on road so they suit me well.

Ahem, my last ...

... Tourances were changed after 14,900 miles, but there again it is an 1100 and therefore more asthetically pleasing all round. Back & front wore at the same rate, which is a bit odd; maybe the ultraseal had something to do with it :thumb2 Before someone points out the obvious, i am an :rob but do like to 'make progress' whenever I can :bounce1

MICHELIN PILOT ROAD Everytime (Now Pilot Road 2) 100% Road
MICHELIN ANAKEE Dual Purpose - Superb!

Back
Top Bottom