Pre-Paddys day, galway rideout 10th of March oughterard

Great fun.

Now that was a lot of fun, De Crowe did a great job of organizing the weekend, thanks lad.:thumb2
Pity about the rain, made it hard to see later on both days, but the upside was it stopped my feet from getting too dry.:eek:
I'm sniffeling and breaking out into hot sweats and cold sweats and the chest is recked, but the fags are helping there.:augie
Had an absolute ball of a weekend and it was great to meet ye all and sure most of us will meet at Ramelton.:thumb
The pics below are what we got up on the beach, great fun, never thought
burn outs were so easy, and no, my bike didn't melt yet. Oh, and the other pic is
the hole in the ground a GS makes. :D :augie

Thanks again, Daithi.

Attachments

• Beach.JPG
    Beach.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 138
  • THE HOLE.jpg
    THE HOLE.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 140
Thanks again ( not )

Now that was a lot of fun, De Crowe did a great job of organizing the weekend, thanks lad.:thumb2
Pity about the rain, made it hard to see later on both days, but the upside was it stopped my feet from getting too dry.:eek:
I'm sniffeling and breaking out into hot sweats and cold sweats and the chest is recked, but the fags are helping there.:augie
Had an absolute ball of a weekend and it was great to meet ye all and sure most of us will meet at Ramelton.:thumb
The pics below are what we got up on the beach, great fun, never thought
burn outs were so easy, and no, my bike didn't melt yet. Oh, and the other pic is
the hole in the ground a GS makes. :D :augie

Thanks again, Daithi.
I would like to thank everyone who waited for me after I held the Gate opened for them and closed it again when they went through. There marking of junctions in the forestry was only superb, I wonder what would have happened if I had fallen off and was stuck under the bike I could still be there.
Thanks again ??????
In case anyone is interested I got home safely.

I would like to thank everyone who waited for me after I held the Gate opened for them and closed it again when they went through. There marking of junctions in the forestry was only superb, I wonder what would have happened if I had fallen off and was stuck under the bike I could still be there.
Thanks again ??????

I did wonder where you had got to.

I spend some time following fresh tyre tracks, and my thanks to Jockser who waited long enough to put me on the right road, and to Kyle who chased me down before I got too far out the Clifden road.
I probably would have wandered back to the hotel .......... eventually.

Just to add to your joy, there is no mobile coverage in some parts where we stopped, and we were think on what would be the best way to recover a casualty, a helicopter probably would have been the best option.
However, I did have my first aid kit with me together with a blunt Swiss Army style knife and some instructions in German, which I can't read, on DIY surgery, I think.

But all's well, that end's well and I'm sure that you didn't get a wet and miserable as the rest of us.

see you all had great time:blast shame about weather, how's no. 51 :nenau thought he would be on to explain himself:rob
was thinking of attaching a small winch to front of bike for Donegal ;) looking forward to more pic's :popcorn :spl1f:

Thanks again ??????

:troll2

:hide

how's no. 51 :nenau thought he would be on to explain himself:rob

:mmmm Firstly, thanks Kyle for posting the pic :( While the forest tracks were fun at first I got a bit bored & decided to liven things up by chuckin' the bike in the ditch :augie

But seriously, it proves ya can't lose concentration even for a second. Going 'round a left hander I went a bit close to the edge, clipped a stump with the engine bar & then fixated on the large ditch coming at me at speed :eek: And ya know, it's true what they say - the bike will go where you're looking ;) In the normal course of events I'd have been grand - the bike would have slipped into the ditch but probably stayed upright. Unfortunately there was a deep but relatively small hole under the grass directly in my flight path. The front wheel dug in & I was spat off into the undergrowth, landing head first at the butt of a wee bush. By the time I'd picked myself up the guys following me had all stopped while the others fecked off into the distance :p (Grumpy, you tell it like it is :D )

Anyway, the combined brain power & brute strength of my rescueers was brought to bear on the situation - logs were assembled & placed in the swamp to give us somewhere to stand, the bike was dragged round so the front wheel was nearest the track, it was stood up & then dragged kickin' & screamin' from the morass. Thanks guys :thumb2

We both escaped without any damage - I was winded for a few minutes & the rear indicator lens was broken but that happened as we manhandled the bike in the ditch. Bl**dy lucky I reckon, someone must have been lookin' after us :angel

As the others have said 'A grand weekends sport' Thanks are due to Con & his little helpers :beerjug:

To those of youse who buggered off on Sunday after the tea stop in Westport - ya missed a cracker :D Padge & myself had a high speed tour of some great roads & brilliant scenery back round to Leenane :bounce1 before the rain started again & kept going all the way home :mad:

Now, when are we doing it again :nenau :aidan

:padge & myself had a high speed tour of some great roads & brilliant scenery back round to Leenane :bounce1 before the rain started again & kept going all the way home :mad:

Some great roads around there and thanks all for the weekend..
Although I did get a bit too close to the scenery at one stage... My sphincter is only starting to loosen off today..

To those of youse who buggered off on Sunday after the tea stop in Westport - ya missed a cracker :D Padge & myself had a high speed tour of some great roads & brilliant scenery back round to Leenane :bounce1 before the rain started again & kept going all the way home :mad:
As it turned out I got home at about 8 or 9 o'clock, I reckon you rode away
from the rain , I rode straight into it. sorry I didn't go with ye now, I would
have got the same reception at home either way.:rolleyes:

Oh very soon, very soon indeed. :augie

Some great roads around there and thanks all for the weekend..
Although I did get a bit too close to the scenery at one stage... My sphincter is only starting to loosen off today..

:D :D :D :D

You might have been onto something about Friday the 13th :eek: :D

BTW, we did manage to get a bit seperated at different stages during the day, would it be
a good idea to use the drop off system in future ?

R2D2, stop stirring. :D :D

It was a feckin great weeekend, still grinning while typing this.:D

Daithi.:thumb2 :beerjug:

Galway Photo's

Here are some photo's of last Saturday's run in Galway

Attachments

• UKGSer (1).jpg
    UKGSer (1).jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 143
  • UKGSer (10).jpg
    UKGSer (10).jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 143
  • UKGSer (11).jpg
    UKGSer (11).jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 140
  • UKGSer (12).jpg
    UKGSer (12).jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 137
  • UKGSer (13).jpg
    UKGSer (13).jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 134
Some more of Galway Saturday's Galway run.

Here are some photo's of last Saturday's run in Galway
Some more of Galway Saturday's Galway run.

Attachments

• UKGSer (14).jpg
    UKGSer (14).jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 135
  • UKGSer (15).jpg
    UKGSer (15).jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 135
  • UKGSer (16).jpg
    UKGSer (16).jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 132
  • UKGSer (2).jpg
    UKGSer (2).jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 130
  • UKGSer (3).jpg
    UKGSer (3).jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 130

Attachments

• UKGSer (4).jpg
    UKGSer (4).jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 131
  • UKGSer (5).jpg
    UKGSer (5).jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 133
  • UKGSer (6).jpg
    UKGSer (6).jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 130
  • UKGSer (7).jpg
    UKGSer (7).jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 129
  • UKGSer (8).jpg
    UKGSer (8).jpg
    96 KB · Views: 140
BTW, we did manage to get a bit seperated at different stages during the day, would it be
a good idea to use the drop off system in future ?

R2D2, stop stirring. :D :D

It was a feckin great weeekend, still grinning while typing this.:D

Daithi.:thumb2 :beerjug:

I thought that we did use the drop off system, ask the Grumpy One or do you mean that other drop off system that Jockser used, or the fall off system that I used. :D

My apologies to the grumpy one for inadvertly leaving you behind. I will take on board the issue of sign posting. not an insurmountable problem. With the benefit of this experience I would be hopeful that if I organise another ride out that I will be able to identify points along the way that we could reasonably expect to regroup. Identifying Lough Inagh lodge in advance as a a luch break location being an obvious example, notwithstanding that our stop there was co-incidental, but none the less welcome for that. As to Nud1e and his complaints about the weather and the last long leg on the road in the dark and the wet! We all suffered similarly, those of the joys of biking in march in the west of ireland. As to the absence of mobile phone coverage in the event of an emergency arising, I would suggest that we all appreciate a certain level of risk in our endeavours, take out chance and minimize that risk as much as we can. (Funnily enough the population of west galway has managed to survive all sorts of calamity prior to the introduction of the mobile phone). If we limit our activites to those areas where coverage and instant access to recovery services prevail then we won't be going very far will we? Where is the adventure in riding around hospital car parks or garage forecourts? Thankfully and luckily the circumstances didn't require emergency services, and no one, (excluding the Fallen Ones), is more relieved than myself that it was an injury free weekend. See y'all soon.:aidan

Ya, I have to agree, you made an absolute bollicks of organizing the weather,
other than that, if you organize another I'm there. :thumb2 :thumb2

Thanks again for a tremendously enjoyable weekend, well done.:clap :clap

Even got myself a hangover, again. :D

de crowe said:
I will take on board the issue of sign posting. not an insurmountable problem. With the benefit of this experience I would be hopeful that if I organise another ride out that I will be able to identify points along the way that we could reasonably expect to regroup.

We've found that the 'drop off system' works really well once people are make aware of it's use from the get go ;)
http://www.boreenrun.com/dropoff.html
Works even if the 'sweeper' doesn't know the route, so long as the 'marker' remains in place until the sweeper turns up.

Galway

We will be making our first visit ever to Ireland next week - Tuesday 20th to Tuesday 27th , flying from Grenoble (we live South of Lyon) and will be staying in a rented cottage in Spiddal, a few miles from galway, for five days. Unfortunately we will not be on my GS as Ryanair restrict us to 15kg each so it will be a hire car.
Please excuse me butting in on this thread but it seemed like a good way to make some contacts and perhaps get some ideas about what we MUST see!
(after the rugby last Sunday I imagine that you Irish will be pleased that us English have given you a chance to win the championship?)

Piccies

De Crowe, thanks for putting the event together.
Thanks to the rest of ye for the company.
I enjoyed it.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 72
More