Powering a digital video camera

Kritou

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Got myself a small camcorder (SD memory) to mount on the bike - it works well but devours the two AA batteries that power it. How can I pick off 3v from the bike's supply and introduce it to the camera's battery compartment?

Maplins do a 12v to 3v adaptor....get one of those, bare the ends (making sure you not the polarity) then get a bit of wood the same size minus a few as the two aa batteries.....you may have to do a bit of whittling :D

Stick two drawing pins in one end, wrap the bare ends around under the pins making sure you have the polarity right, then insert the fake battery, cut a tiny notch in the battery cover for the wire to go into and stick the plug in the socket of the bike :thumb

Reading it back, it sounds really daft doesn't it......

I'd be surprised if someone hasn't invented/designed a proper thing to do exactly that......a wired fake battery pack....but I've not seen one :nenau

It would work, but it might be fiddly to actually make.

Was going to ask the same question but my camera is a Sony handycam.
Not really sure how long the battery lasts and wondered if any one knew if there was a cigar lighter charger for it so I could put the transformer in my tank bag while the camera was on the Ram Mount?

Andy

Was going to ask the same question but my camera is a Sony handycam.
Not really sure how long the battery lasts and wondered if any one knew if there was a cigar lighter charger for it so I could put the transformer in my tank bag while the camera was on the Ram Mount?

Andy

I use a Sony camera Andy, and I have their 12v charger. I simply run the camera off the 12v charger while running, and when not turned on of course the Sony camera battery is being charged up.

I actually have a couple of 'feed's taken off between the 12v supply and the converter, to power the bullet camera and microphone. Works a treat!

:beerjug:

www.adventure.gs

Attachments

• Sony.jpg
    Sony.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 153
Thanks Micky.
Not cheap are they!
Think I might just film until the battery runs out and charge it up at night.
Probably only going to use it the once as going on a long weekend to Germany and wanted to film some of it as first time abroad.
Thanks anyway.

Andy

I use a Sony camera Andy, and I have their 12v charger. I simply run the camera off the 12v charger while running, and when not turned on of course the Sony camera battery is being charged up.

I actually have a couple of 'feed's taken off between the 12v supply and the converter, to power the bullet camera and microphone. Works a treat!

:beerjug:

www.adventure.gs

Micky is that the DCC-L50B charger? Does it work ok with the DCR-HC42E and the P batteries as the web site say it's for the L and M batteries :confused:

TVMIA

Reading it back, it sounds really daft doesn't it......

I'd be surprised if someone hasn't invented/designed a proper thing to do exactly that......a wired fake battery pack....but I've not seen one :nenau

It would work, but it might be fiddly to actually make.

I didn't want to be caught short for batteries, so I made this.

White plastic has two wires running the length, the wires go through a
Maplins power regulator part no: 717-3997.

Inset is the 12v socket.

Attachments

• BATTERY.JPG
    BATTERY.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 66

Back
Top Bottom