Zumo, SD cards & MP3's

Dale

Reaction score
Has anyone tried putting a 4GB SD card in a Zumo? Does it work? Local dealer says he has only tried up to 2GB.

Also, I want to load some MP3's onto an SD card but don't have the zumo at hand. Am I correct in thinking that I can simply create a folder on the SD card called "music" and dump all the MP3 folders (usually arranged as \artist\album\song1.mp3... etc) into it and the zumo will happily read them when I insert the card?

Dale

The 4 gb SD card will work as that is exactly what my zumo is running on.
your zumo will possibly run your card with file attachment, but check anyway.

I am using a 4GB SD card in mine filled to the top with MP3s. Works without a problem but it takes a while for the Zumo to recognise / load all the files when I switch it on. It can take up to a minute in fact.

I have uploaded all my files into an MP3 folder (without sub folders) and that seems to work. The player takes the data from the meta data in the file as opposed to the folder structure so you don't need to worry about arranging loads of sub folders.

Geoffery / MarkiMark,

One last question if I may ....

Are the 4gb cards you're using marked "sdHC"? I went to get a card at the local photoshop but the 4gb cards are all marked HC and the warning on the box says "SDHC cards are not backwards compatible with standard Sd devices". Did look in the zumo manual and on the box, but there's no mention of "HC" anywhere.

Man at the photoshop says they don't get non-HC 4gb cards anymore. The 2gb cards are not marked HC.

Dale

I asked the same question to the Zumo rep off the Garmin website and he said that there was an update coming out about now, mine however went straight into the Zumo no bother. Buy from ebay and youll save a fortune. 4gb Sandisk ultra II for £31. Works like a treat.

I got a 4gb card from 7dayshop for £17.99,, Unbranded and works a treat.
no HC markings?.

Look on the Bargain section.

To answer my own question (in case anyone is interested) ....

I bought a 4gb SDHC card for use in the Zumo - works perfectly. It is also LOTS quicker to access the info than the "standard" 2gb SD card I have. Can't give you access times, I just noticed that the zumo starts up lots quicker with the HC card than with the normal one (both have the same info loaded on them).

Regards,
Dale

Where did you get the card Dale... and how much ? :thumb2

Local professional photo shop here in Cape Town (bit far for you to drive ;) )

Costs about 80GBP here but you should be able to get it way cheaper over there or via net - there is normally a heafty premium to be paid for living in the colonies!

Marking on the card says : "ATP Pro Max, SDHC class 6 4GB"

HC cards seem to carry a 20-30% premuim over non-HC cards.

Dale

Back
Top Bottom