Ullapool as a destination in Scotland.

Timpo

North Wales TRF
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just killing some time in work and wondering where to ride to this year for some good food, drink, scenary and hospitality, and considering that Sarah Teach has never been to Scotland, this has been noted as one of the destinations.
Looking at the map, I have got my eye on Ullapool.
Is this worthy of a visit? Any recommendations regarding hotels, pubs, inns or b&b, etc.
Some of the images on Google look good.
Any information will be gratefully recieved.:thumb
Timpo.

The road into Ullapool is only the finest stretch of road ever to be cover in Tarmac.

Ullapool is fantastic and the surrounding area is superb. Plent of great places on the way up there too including Applecross. Garve etc...

The Road from Fort William to Invergarry is also great and the ride down the A87 to the Kyle of Lochalsh equally spectacular. Silverstone has nothing on this.

Good Pubs to in Ullapool and reasonable accomodation costs all over - you can't go wrong.

Go do it

AndyT:thumb2

The highlight of my biking season is the 3 or 4 trips to Ullapool with some like-minded bike friends each year. We travel up from Northern Ireland on day1, usualy stay at www.riversideullapool.com the owner, Charlie is 100%.
2 nights there. Day 2, lose the luggage and head North for some of the best biking roads in the world.... I jest ye not. Take in the little un-named single track road to Lochinver.... fantastic. Then back onto the A894 again and keep heading North. You can head inland at Laxford Bridge or if you are up for a long run, Tongue, then fuel at Lairg. A couple of miles south are the 'falls of shin' great place to watch the salmon leaping, and you can take in the Harrods store... yes, they have an outlet this far north.
From Lairg, head west, to Ledmore junction and back to Ullapool just in time for tea.
I have been repeating this trip several times a year for the past 6 years or so and never tire of it. Day 3, do the West Coast trail through Gairloch and dont forget to at least ride up 'the pass of the cattle', britain's highest mountain pass. And finish it off with a run down the A87 for an overnight at Invergarry. This is the best biking road in the world!

Ullapool as a Destination

Timpo.

Look here:- www.ullapool.co.uk

The village is certainly well worth a visit and there is plenty of accommodation, places to eat etc.

You'll find mention of places to visit on above website, but a must do is Lochinver (for the Famous Pie Shop) and the Hydroponicum at Achiltibuie.

The Scottish Section of the BMW Club hold their Longest Day Camping Weekend at Ullapool mid June each year.

HTH

BB

and the Hydroponicum at Achiltibuie.
The Hydroponicum is up for grabs just now ... clicky.

"I'll go to my favorite place in the world, which is the west coast of Scotland, where somehow the balance of landscape and the human element is almost perfect. There's a village in the very far north, called Achiltibuie, with a lovely hotel where I can spread out my things during the day. I'll find a comfortable chair and just sit and watch the weather come in off the sea." - Michael Palin

I like it, I like it....

Bumble B, Andy, Betty, that's good news, I'm on it now.
Already had a look at www.ullapool.co.uk and that should be plenty of info to sort the trip.
Funny enough I spotted the Riverside Hotel...
I'll get something booked soon.
Thanks for the tips.:thumb
Timpo.

Hi Timpo!!!

This is Fran from Spain.

I visited Ullapool about 9 years ago and it really was woth the visit. It was spring/summer 1998.

Weather was not good everyday, but we liked it.

Enjoy the trip:) :) :)

Regards

Fran1008

Double ditto

Ditto all the above reply's, west coast of Scotland is awesome, if ya feeling flush, take the ferry from Ullapool to the western isles, more of the awesome sketch! Above all have fun getting lost in the magical countryside and fantastic roads, be safe and good luck from a very jealous southerner! :beerjug:

As has been said above, it's a great place with some great runs, when the sun shines this area has it all, when it doesn't its still amazing fun and you will have a lot to talk about, I'm going back this May bank holiday 4-7th with another 10 mates.. should be a hoot.

If you want some routes etc drop me a pm.

Cheers

maurice.

Great roads in the area, loads of accommodation, but it's the Midgee capital of Scotland, or so it seems when I visit every summer.

The road into Ullapool is only the finest stretch of road ever to be cover in Tarmac.

Ullapool is fantastic and the surrounding area is superb. Plent of great places on the way up there too including Applecross. Garve etc...

The Road from Fort William to Invergarry is also great and the ride down the A87 to the Kyle of Lochalsh equally spectacular. Silverstone has nothing on this.

Good Pubs to in Ullapool and reasonable accomodation costs all over - you can't go wrong.

Go do it

AndyT:thumb2

What he said:thumb

Ullapool to Applecross or vice versa makes a stunning easy days ride

Stumpy

As all above, fantasic place and places to ride.

22 of us did the West Coast last May, stayed in Ullapool for just one night but had a great time, then went South via Applecross to Skye. There's magnificent roads and rarely a officer of the law to be seen - other than the road into Ullapool, but he was doing about 100mph heading away from Ullapool as we were doing about 120mph heading for Ullapooll :D

Going There This Month!

We're already booked for 3-nights B&B on 22/23/24 March, in Ullapool:thumb2 . There's enough eating & drinking den's in the town and, as others have said, it's a great centre for ride-outs, coast road to Lochinver:D , Durness :D etc, etc.

Cheers.................Grizzly:beer:

Well done people...

Thanks Folks, I'm convinced, we're going...
Cheers.
Timpo.

Back
Top Bottom