Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BMW Off Road Course - TIPS!

Quote Originally Posted by jonothan View Post
    Great post - doing the course end of next month with my brother and am rather apprehensive about it, I must confess.

There's a place going if anyone wants it as Mrs J has backed out. PM me if interested. 27th & 28th May - Sunday and Monday of the BH W/E.

J
    ooo thats tempting! and thats my birthday weekend too!! I'll PM you mate! Also doing the HP2 day down there on the 26th so that'd make it a nice long weekend!

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    don't go so fast and you won't need armour that said I went reasonably slow and caught the handle bars straight in the chest on a fall and "*uck did that hurt!" Bruise the size of cornflake packet all down one side!

Just after that I fell off a broke my hand NICE way to finish the day off I thought!

This was all on second day I blame the 10 pints of wife beater at the dinner.... for suspect balance skills.

I'd also recommend taking some industrial strength pain killers, we were all popping them like smarties on the morning of day 2, riding a bike off road uses different muscles and the area around my kidneys still aches, looking for some body aromour that covers this area now.

Gear whore
    Quote Originally Posted by JimboGSA View Post
    Don't be mate, the 1200 is the tool for the job as they don't put you through much technical stuff, and alot of it is lovely fire road type conditions enough to get the 1200 upto a decent speed and leave the rest in a cloud of dust!
    +1

I normally ride a 650 Dakar and have only had short test ride on the 12 prior to the course so I was a little daunted by it, but I have to say that it was great! The 12 is so balanced and loads of torque on tap to get you out of those situations where you should've carrying more speed! Also for the occasional roost on the fire trails

Go for it!

He who dies with the most toys... wins!

Just one more, for the budding strippers

Jimbo caught short...and then some!

lol i knew that pic would come back to haunt me!

off road

Went last year on the level 11 mid summer scorching hot.
    Took the armour out of my Ralleye 2 and wore it under a MX vest, gaffer taped knee pads on over Mx trousers. Drink more water than you think you need to keep your pee clear, if its yellow you are dehydrated and will have less energy as a result.

Speed is your friend

Probably more aimed at people trying Level 2....

If you increase your speed off road riding is easier, there are 2 major things to consider.

Forward Momentum

If you are going slow then your forward momentum is reduced, your bike will work better with a little speed (see second point below) There is obviously a fair amount of confidence involved and this is something you need to work up to pushing yourself in small amounts as you go.

Suspension

If you have no real forward motion the bike will not absorb any of the impacts and your body will instead. Think of the suspension travel, if you have no speed the suspension will not absorb any shocks and the bike will simply rise up and over obstacles transfering the impact to your body, this is why most people are really knackered on day 2.

So stay relaxed and try a little more speed as our confidence grows!

Remember to try and steer with your feet.

Lastly the bike has an engine that is powering you along, you should try and use the engine power instead of muscle power.

Jonothan thanks for the call will ring the BM man in morning to to get it all arranged here's the link to BMW training I did a while ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXARyxgXHxQ

Quote Originally Posted by loiq View Post
    Jonothan thanks for the call will ring the BM man in morning to to get it all arranged here's the link to BMW training I did a while ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXARyxgXHxQ
    Thanks, Loiq! Looking forward to meeting you there. JimboGSA, sorry mate, but Mrs J's place has now been taken by Loiq (just as far as off-roading is concerned, not in any other way!).

Cheers

J
    Jonothan
    North East Lincolnshire

BMW R1200GSA (magnesium)
    Honda Transalp XL700V (gold)
    Vespa GTV 250ie (cream)
    Vespa PX 125 (white)

Quote Originally Posted by JimboGSA View Post
    I'd also recommend taking some industrial strength pain killers, we were all popping them like smarties on the morning of day 2, riding a bike off road uses different muscles and the area around my kidneys still aches, looking for some body armour that covers this area now.
    Thanks - I will pack some Dihydrocodeine and some Diclofenac.

J
    Jonothan
    North East Lincolnshire

BMW R1200GSA (magnesium)
    Honda Transalp XL700V (gold)
    Vespa GTV 250ie (cream)
    Vespa PX 125 (white)

Gear whore
    Quote Originally Posted by bigchris View Post
    The "hardcore" gang
    Hey Chris

Great to meet you at the weekend. Any chance of getting the high res of this pic? (Although not sure we qualify as the "hardcore gang"... more the "easily led astray gang"! )

Cheers

Mav (Jase)

He who dies with the most toys... wins!

sure, no problem. add me to msn some time (xing_yi_fist@hotmail.com) and i'll punt it over to you when we're both online.

Quote Originally Posted by Mav View Post
    Hey Chris

Great to meet you at the weekend. Any chance of getting the high res of this pic? (Although not sure we qualify as the "hardcore gang"... more the "easily led astray gang"! )

Cheers

Mav (Jase)
    yeah more like the ooo do we have to get muddy again gang!

ah you loved every minute of it, and you know it!

tell you what tho, that one 'puddle' werent half deep! im sure it came up to my knackers!

off roading

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

I have just been on this course and have the aches! to priove it, anyone thinking of going stop thinking and do it. The instructors are very good and patient they encourage plonkers and have endless patience as one who dropped it whilst attempting to mount the 1200 with no sidestand down.
    save the bike by bweing underneath it just glad it was not my 1150 as would have lost a leg instead of a pulled muscle. (no, not that one) You do get much more confident as the course goes on the bigger wall of death is really
    not bad and this is on a GS!. Before the course I would not have even thought about doing it but have now done it several times and it gets better each time. I only did the first day owing to the leg but DO HAVE A GO, it is amazing how well you will do . And remember it's the same for every one,
    so do it and enjoy.
    dave ( looking for a crutch, three cornered hat and a parrot) GS.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast