Another Autocom Question

Gunboat Willy

Chap at work is flogging an Autocom Pro M1 for 220 quids. It's a couple of years old and used twice. Q? He thinks I'll need new mikes for flip front helmets...and no doubt a B*W adaptor for the external power supply. Anyone know about the helmet thing?

Also any views on any likely pitfalls/availability of bits and bobs/whether it's a good deal/if it's not likely to be a current model. I'm assuming that they're one of the best options for comms from me to pill.

Thanks,

GW

The Pro-M1 is the older model however that's not a real problem. The new model has a 7 pin din socket but there are adapters available and the older autocom parts are still orderable.

Autocom do three different mics with three different boom lengths (on the autocom web site these are items 12, 13 and 14.) Any of those will do with the flip front lid, I've got an item 12 on a Shuberth Concept lid which works well.

£220 is a bit much for just the autocom and headset; a brand new Pro 7 sport (the latest one) is £247. The Easi-Rider is £147 and may be fine for your needs if you're just talking about talking to a pilion or another bike. Have a look at their web site for more information on the different current models (www.autocom.co.uk)

If you want to plug your autocom into the accessory plug then you'll need an accessory plug (around £5 to £10 depending on where you get it) but I found that my foot was catching on the plug I had so I ended up wiring it in on it's own circuit. I've not found an ideal position for it on the bike but at the momen it's tucked up under the front seat in the gap between the seat and the tank.

Hope that helps,

David

It certainly does help David. Many thanks. I wondered why all our bikers hadn't 'taken his hand off'. He advertised it on our internal 'Marketplace' - I thought that these things were more expensive than that...must have been spending too much time in the B*W showrooms! :(

Again, thanks, I'm inclined to go for something a bit more up to date given the prices...I may sweat him on the price first :D :D

Cheers,

Peter

turbine_2 said:
The Pro-M1 is the older model however that's not a real problem. The new model has a 7 pin din socket but there are adapters available and the older autocom parts are still orderable.

Autocom do three different mics with three different boom lengths (on the autocom web site these are items 12, 13 and 14.) Any of those will do with the flip front lid, I've got an item 12 on a Shuberth Concept lid which works well.

£220 is a bit much for just the autocom and headset; a brand new Pro 7 sport (the latest one) is £247. The Easi-Rider is £147 and may be fine for your needs if you're just talking about talking to a pilion or another bike. Have a look at their web site for more information on the different current models (www.autocom.co.uk)

If you want to plug your autocom into the accessory plug then you'll need an accessory plug (around £5 to £10 depending on where you get it) but I found that my foot was catching on the plug I had so I ended up wiring it in on it's own circuit. I've not found an ideal position for it on the bike but at the momen it's tucked up under the front seat in the gap between the seat and the tank.

Hope that helps,

David

But if you want to bike power the kit - you'll have to buy the powerleads and extension leads for the helmet and that takes it up from £247 to £352.
£247 is for the battery powered model and also does it include pillion headset.
£352 is the price for the full kit for a Pro-7.

£100 for power leads and extension? Ouch. I got my Pro M1 second hand for about £100 IIRC but that came with the power lead and I've not found a requirement for an extension.
I'd be tempted to make my own at that price, it's not exactly rocket science.

David

It's sounding a bit more positive! Should arrive for inspection in our internal post tomorrow. I'll have a proper look at what's in the package and do a bit of a price comparison on the new Autocom stuff. Daft thing is that Pillion Boss is off to university on Monday...so it's not going to get much use for a while...well, maybe at weekends hooning (I wish!) around the Peak District. (Sounds like we're 18! Very mature students is nearer the mark!)

I'll let you know how I get on with the Autocom.

Cheers,

Peter

Aye Caramba! It reminds me of the things we used to build with all the bits we could snaffle from stores at the Atomic Energy Authority!

Technology-wise, I'm sure it's the bees-knees...but...there's nothing to velcro the earpieces onto in our B*W (Schuberth?) flippy front helmets (just 'leather-a-like' bits), the mike booms are too stiff to deal with the flip front, the cables are probably tough but we'll look like the National Grid!

OK. With time and effort I could probably work all this out...but I'm gobsmacked at where we are with all this stuff. It seems like the 'bang the rocks together guys' bit of evolution...but, hehe, I am sitting over an 80 year old engine!

Am I missing something? I <b>don't</b> want to buy two new helmets, I believe that the technology is good...BUT...I can't figure out where the ***** to put the box of tricks...it's 'shower resistant!'...on a GS. When pulling apart the connections, the sleeves slide off revealing the wiring gubbins...........

Sorry. I posted the original question in a happy buzz of gadgetitis...and I am grateful for the responses...but the reality is a bit...errrr...downbeat. Do I persevere or wait for the integral Bluetooth flipfront with the submicron mike and microdot ear-speaker (and the power supply that fits in a helmet) :confused:

...or do we carry on with the 'dab dab, I need a pee' comms system??

:D :confused: :(

Peter

It lives on top of the air filter box, If you have a BMW helmet the holes for the speakers are in exactly the right place, if its a Schuberth then they are in the wrong place and need to be half an inch lower with the speakers horizontal, placement is critical to the performance.

You will need to cut away the polystyrene with a hot knife, a Gas powered Draper soldering iron has such a tool with it.

Although the BMW lids are made by Schuberth they are a completely different design.

Yes Autocom's approach to design is most definately function over form and is right out of the Heath-Robinson school of design. And the more you add, music/phone/bike2bike/ptt the worse it seemingly gets.

Fortunately it is a fit and forget solution, the only critical bits being the placement of the speakers in the hemet and the routing of the cables to avoid pinching/melting.

And best of all it works a treat snd does exactly what is says on the tin. I believe the alternative wire-free solutions are some way off to be a serious consideration.

I use a long boom in my flip front Schubert which is pliable enough to move up out of the way when its not in use no problem.

I put mine in the fusebox - having repositioned a couple of relays and the like (not difficult). Now readily accessible to adjust vox etc if required. Once you've got the right setting though, you can ignore it. The tank/airbox might be a good option then.

The B*W helmet (pillions) was the best one to fit out. Should be dead easy. My Schoei was a pain in the a*se to get right.

Try Cooper B*W to see if they have any stock left at the 287 price for full bike powered rider/pillion set - retail is 352.

I wouldn't pay the price you were quoted for an older model and second hand.

Johnieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I must admit, I was a bit bamboozled by it all and so plunged for a new system7 sport thingy and got Wollaston's to fit it onto the GS. We had a terrific holiday in the south of France , being able to chat to each other was brill. The best few quid I've spent in ages, well...........apart from the Y piece and Remus.

Marcus:D

Jimb said:
It lives on top of the air filter box, If you have a BMW helmet the holes for the speakers are in exactly the right place, if its a Schuberth then they are in the wrong place and need to be half an inch lower with the speakers horizontal, placement is critical to the performance.

You will need to cut away the polystyrene with a hot knife, a Gas powered Draper soldering iron has such a tool with it.

Although the BMW lids are made by Schuberth they are a completely different design.

Thanks Jimb - I didn't realise that they were so different...ours are B*W so hopefully no cutting to do. Phew. :)

Right. I think I've decided...sort of!

I'm going to spend a serious bit of time on this at the weekend....if there's a fit and forget approach....then I'm up for it.

Even just fiddling around with the thing in the house I was starting to think that the function is probably sufficient compensation for the form. The sound and the voice activation are pretty good.

However, given the asking price I may then price a dealer fitted, current Autocom solution.

Thanks everybody....watch this space!

Peter

Back
Top Bottom